i was overreacting

i was putting my things in my closet when i heard a knock on the door. "come in" i shouted. i heard footsteps, until i felt someone towering me from behind. i didn't turn around, i just waited for them to talk as i continued what i was doing. "athena, i'm sorry for how i reacted. i know i was overreacting" jack said as he sat down on the chair behind me. i just ignored him, still annoyed from earlier. "it's just that i don't want you dating any of my teammates because i know how they are. they aren't loyal, and i'm just scared that they'll break your heart." he continued. "all footballers are like this, if someone throws themselves at us, we can't say no. we'd do anything for sex even if it means hurting our loved ones." he added, finally grabbing my attention, making me turn around to face him.

"how do you know ruben is the same?" i asked him with a mixture of confusion and anger evident in my face. "i've seen it happen, many times, and i've also done it countlessly. listen i just don't want you to get hurt." he said with shame palpable in his voice. "i understand jack, thanks for telling me." my voice softened. "no problem, but you still aren't allowed to date my teammates" he said while walking out.

jacks words made me think, i understand where he's coming from, but i don't think ruben is like that. for all i could know jack could be lying. but why lie about your own best friend. i don't know, but i really think ruben is a good guy, i guess we'll still have to see each other in private.

i continue filling my closet up while thinking about jacks words. i shouldn't overthink it, because i'll ruin it for us. when i finally finished putting all my clothes in the closet, i decide to head downstairs, and dayum this house was a literal maze. after a few attempts, i found myself in the living room. i decided to sit down and wait for everyone else, since i was the first one down.

the first person to appear, luckily, was ruben. he immediately came to sit next to me rather than the other, more spacious sofas. there weren't any words spoken i don't know why but we were just looking and scrolling through our phones.

soon enough, everyone else started appearing until everyone was finally in the living room. to be honest, i thought it would be really crowded since we were 13 people, but it was so big it made 13 people look like nothing.

everyone was chatting with each other, while me and ruben were glued to our phones. i occasionally took small glances at him, but he didn't even look my way even once, so i gave up. i was hoping to start a conversation but he never did, and i was too timid to start one, after what happened in the car.

as i was scrolling through instagram, i felt someone tap my shoulder, and that was the only time ruben looked my way. i put my phone down and looked to see who it was, and it was kalvin. "hey athena, can we please talk?" he asked softly. i nodded at him in response, as he gently grabbed my hand and led me to the kitchen. it looked really bad for everyone who was watching, since we were basically holding hands.

"sooo.. what did you want to talk about?" i asked as we came to a halt. "i want to apologise for how i came across earlier in the airport" he said a bit awkwardly. i just started laughing, making him look at me in confusion. "it's okay honestly, i didn't even mind because you didn't even do anything that bad" i reassured him. "okay, good i didn't want to come across in a bad or weird way" he said breathing a sigh of relief while holding his heart.

"honestly it's no problem you seem like a really nice person, men these days wouldn't apologise for even worse" i told him as i was in my thoughts. "friends?" he said getting closer to me with his arms extended. "friends." i said giving him the hug. "so friend, would you like anything before we head back to the living room." he asked with the cutest dimpled smile. "you're pushing it now" i said sternly while pointing at him with a serious face, but trying my best not to laugh.

"i'd like a water though" i said while i leaned against the counter as he was rummaging in the fridge. he gave me a cold bottle of water as soon as he found it. "thanks" i said still waiting for him to finish so we could go back into the living room.

we started walking back to the living room chatting and laughing about different things. kyle and john better watch out, there's a new joker in town. we walked back into the living room with huge smiles on our faces as we had been laughing our heads off before getting there. we felt everyone's gaze on us, so we stopped and looked at everyone in confusion, but once we looked at each other again we immediately burst out laughing.

i hit kalvin to get away from me, because i couldn't breathe anymore and i could tell i was really red. after my laughter had died down, i went to sit back down next to ruben, but once again he didn't even dare look at me. he's been like avoiding me since the incident in the car, and it's making me mad.

since everyone was doing something of their own, i put my hand on rubens thigh to get his attention, but he just looked at it in disgust, then removed it. it kind of did hurt my feelings so i tried again, but this time he moved away from me. i don't know why, but i felt tears forming in my eyes, and i'm pretty sure he could see them because he looked at me for not even a second before diverting his attention back to his phone.

i didn't want to look weak infront of everyone, so i went upstairs before any tears could fall out. "i'm going to hang in my room for a bit" i said to everyone as my voice cracked a bit. i quickly walked into my bedroom and shut the door. i don't get why i was being so sensitive, i just don't think it was right for him to just ghost me after we were basically about to have sex.

i immediately dropped down onto my bed, and started wiping my tears before they could fall, but they kept coming back so i just let them fall. after a bit, i heard a knock on my door, i quickly wiped my tears and went to open the door.