𝟎𝟎𝟒 ― the hunt

PICTURES OF Hassan Zyani and other intel are scattered along the metal table

PICTURES OF Hassan Zyani and other intel are scattered along the metal table. Ellie's eyes burn from how long she has looked at these pictures. She read through file after file until she could quote them word for word.

It's all she's been able to do since her injuries months ago.

Phillip hasn't let her do much. They've been gathering all the intel they could while on standby. He's sent the Shadows out on other small jobs while waiting on word from General Shepherd. So all she's been able to do is restrengthen herself, study the notes on Zyani, and annoy Graves about returning her to the field.

She's about had enough already. He keeps pumping out excuse after excuse.

But when she overhears his conversation with General Shepherd, she bursts into the room, Phillip jumping at the sound of her barreling in.

His eyes are flared as he asks, "What do you think you're doing, Miller?"

"I know he's in Al Mazrah," she states.

"Sure you do, it's because you're listening in!" Phillip retorts.

Shepherd asks what the commotion is. Ellie decides to step in front of Graves before he has the chance to say anything. She sucks in a sharp breath before she speaks.

"Look, I know I was hurt badly. I get it. You guys are looking out for me. But if you don't let me out of this base to go do something worthwhile, I'll go crazy. Now, send me to Al Mazrah. I've done my time with recovery. I'm ready to go back out."

They both look at her like she's crazy.

"Agent Miller, you have sacrificed enough for this country," General Shepherd begins to say. "You have been brave and fierce. You are no longer required on missions. You need to listen to your Commander and go back home."

She can't help but laugh emptily. "That's a lot coming from you. I can do this. Let me go. I don't have to lead, but I am an asset and you know it. I can fight. Graves knows that better than anyone. Look at my record and stats."

He sighs, Phillip shaking his head. "Ellie, it's not necessary. You have nothing to prove anymore! You coming back from the dead said enough."

"I want my revenge," she barks back.

Phillip shuffles on his feet. "Ellison, if I could give you the vengeance you want, I would. But Zyani wasn't the one who killed your friends and wounded you. That was the Russian PMCs. Maybe they're connected, I don't know... they might be fighting for him. But this mission won't get you what you want."

A cold feeling creeps up her spine as she replies, "It'll be a good start." She looks to Shepherd. "I have always respected you and your decisions, General."

"I know that," he replies gently.

"Then let me go. Stick me somewhere that matters. Doesn't have to be lead, but I want to help. Consider me active duty."