{Ch. 29} Till The World Ends

Early the next morning, Four had woken up with a raging headache

Early the next morning, Four had woken up with a raging headache. However, where he expected pain on his leg, it never came.

The dark veins all over his body are gone, but there was a sharp pain in his neck. Though it was nothing compared to the pain of what he had gone through with that virus.

The Dauntless instructor came to the conclusion he had somehow received a cure, meaning Elsie was back.

He walked around the gas station, still and quiet with the occasional snore. He recognized most everyone there besides a new guy.

Until it clicked in his head, this was the guy that sacrificed himself for Elsie in the maze. He made a mental note to personally thank him sometime for saving his honorary sister.

Then he spotted her. Curled up against Gally's chest fast asleep. She looked thin and malnourished, like they hadn't fed her as much as a crumb since they took her.

She has puncture wounds all over her arms and dark circles under her eyes that looked dramatically darker against her now pale complexion.

There were bruises scattered around her skin but they seemed old. A slightly yellow tint against her light skin. He probably wouldn't have noticed it if she wasn't right up against Gally with his tan skin.

A stark contrast compared to hers.

However despite the anger he felt towards whoever hurt her, Four felt a peace in seeing her here and safe, within the grasp of multiple people who would do their very best to never let her get hurt again.

Granted, in the world they live in now, that's a given circumstance. But she's safe with them now. And they'll all protect each other.

Four let the group sleep and stepped outside a moment to enjoy the last of the cool air before daytime in the desert finally settled in.

Wishing he had a coffee to accompany the crisp morning. He started missing his Dauntless apartment and living quarters.

"Hey," Four's head turned sharply when he heard the voice. Not that he was on edge, he's quite relaxed despite things, but because he hadn't heard it in so long.

"Hey, Elsie," Four turned to her and pulled her into a warm hug. He pressed his face into her hair, kissed her there, and held her closely. Feeling emotion bubbling to the surface, he pulled back before he could allow any tears through. "I'm so glad you're safe. Are you okay? How are you feeling?"

Elsie, however, allowed tears to slowly trickle from her eyes. Their once bright and vibrant color now dimmed and dull from the months of torture and mistreatment.

"I missed you so much," She bit her lip and sniffed. "But I'm okay. Thanks to you guys and Minho. I can't believe you all came all the way out here to get me."

"There isn't any amount of distance that would keep me from coming to find you," Four said, thus making Elsie's slow trickle of tears turn into a small river.

Four and Gally said the same.

"How about you? Are you okay?" Elsie gently placed a hand on the side of his face and examined the puncture wound on his neck. "Sorry, I kinda stabbed you."

The both of them shared a laugh.

"You did what you needed to," Four shook his head. "And I'm grateful. I'm alright. Little sore, but nothing I can't handle."

She nodded and leaned against his chest, her eyes slowly brightening in color. "We need to go back. To Chicago."

"We do," Four nodded. "Unfinished business."

"Mhm," Elsie nodded. "Unfinished business indeed. We should overthrow the government."

"Us?" Four laughed. "I'm not sure I'm equipped to be a mayor or whatever. Government official."

"Maybe not," Elsie shrugged. "But you're a good leader, Four. We need you. I need you."

Elsie pressed her forehead against his and sighed with closed eyes. "I really did miss you. The things they lied to me with in that lab..."

"Are just that. Lies. So don't think about them anymore," Four kissed her forehead. "I'm safe thanks to you. We're all safe. We need to make it back to Chicago. Grab your friends in Amity. Take over the government, you know."

The two of them laughed.

"What are you two giggling about?" Newt emerged from the gas station, pleasantly surprised with the cool air. The young Brit beamed at his sister and hugged her when she came to him. "I love you."

"I love you," Elsie hugged him tightly, feeling an overwhelming wave of safety and comfort from his embrace. "Are the others awake? We should get moving while it's not too hot yet."

"I agree," Gally, Thomas, and Christina exited the gas station next. They handed everyone their bags and the guys their guns.

Gally pulled Elsie in and kissed her, just in time for Minho and Zack to join the group.

"Easy with sucking her face off around me, shank," Minho playfully sneered at Gally, but the group shared a laugh.

"Zack."

"Four," Zack and Four nodded to each other.

"I'm..."

"No need," Zack grinned with a snicker. "You're alright now, that's what matters. Your zombie side identity is safe with me. Just- don't go throwing me around again and we're straight."

With laughs from the whole group, everyone grabbed the last of the remaining resources from the gas station and started their journey back to Chicago.

Oblivious to what they were to return to, yet armed with hope for a better city. Without the factions. Without secrets.

Without separation.

Together. Until the world ends.