{Ch. 7} Zack

The next morning I woke up early, before everyone else

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

The next morning I woke up early, before everyone else. I took advantage of the privacy and got dressed, laced up my boots, and tied my hair back without worry of anyone watching me.

Then, I left the bunk room and decided to explore. If this is my new Faction and I'll be spending the rest of my life here, why not get to know the place?

I made my way up a set of winding stairs and found myself on a balcony overlooking the Pit. It was quiet, only a few other Dauntless were up.

Some were lifting weights, others standing around and conversing with friends. Only a small handful were up though.

So I made my way down there and took advantage of the mostly empty Pit. I walked around feeling a very familiar sensation of smallness. The giant stone walls of the pit reminded me eerily of the Maze.

"Hey! You're that Elsie girl right? One of the Mazies?"

I turned to the voice and locked eyes with a friendly looking guy. He was tall and rather lanky in figure, had dark brown hair and brown eyes.

"Name's Zack! Didn't know I wasn't the only initiate into waking up early!"

"You're an initiate? How did you get out of the room without anyone noticing?"

Zack shrugged. "Skill I've learned. Dauntless born means you just kind of grow up knowing these things. So what are you doing up so early?"

"Used to waking up early," I sighed softly and crossed my arms over my chest. Regretting my decision of a tank top. "That's all I did in the Glade. Had mouths to feed."

"I couldn't imagine never seeing your friends again after what you all went through," He sympathized, prompting me to walk with him further into the pit to a large room of giant square mats.

In the far corner there were punching bags and lifting equipment and in the other corner was a wall of human silhouette targets and cases of knives laid out on display.

"Is this the training room?"

"Yup," He jogged over to one of the lifting benches and grabbed his jacket. It was black and thin but soft and surprisingly warm. "Your lips are nearly blue. Put it on."

I shoved my arms through the sleeves and crossed my arms again to disperse body heat. I felt warmer almost immediately.

"Despite the fact that I look like a spaghetti noodle, I've been in this room daily since I was a baby. My dad and I used to hang out here together while he worked out. And then we worked out together once I was old enough."

"That's cool," I gave him a friendly smile. "It must be really nice to know your parents and have a relationship with them."

"Oh, shit. I forgot. I'm sorry," He frowned. "You guys don't remember yours."

"I do. I remember mine and I remember my brother, Newt," I shared. "Very vaguely I remember my parents though. It's only really voices. I haven't been able to picture their faces, just voices."