Childhood Best Friends pt 2

Tom Riddle Era (1943)

6 years later

Y/n and Tom had become close friends over the past few years. He had confessed to killing the rabbit a week after the event, and she practically knocked him over with the hug she engulfed him in. He'd frozen up at first, but after a few minutes, wrapped his arms loosely around her. From that moment on, they began to spend time together. They'd often sit in a comfortable silence in Tom's room, both of their noses buried deep in the novels they found lying around the orphanage.

At 8 years old, Y/n confessed she could do unusual things when someone upset her and she was worried it would get her into trouble. But when Tom said he could do the same, she was overjoyed. She never felt closer to him than she did in that moment. They soon became inseperable, going everywhere together. The other children called them freaks but the bullying had subsided a bit after Y/n accidentally knocked them out with her 'powers' once she caught them beating Tom again. Y/n and Tom would spend summer days outside, enjoying the fresh air, whilst taking shade from the old oak trees surrounding the orphanage.

Last Friday, Y/n had discovered something scary, yet 'awesome' about Tom. They were sat under one of the oaks as usual, side by side as they simply basked in the coolness it provided against the heat. Suddenly, Y/n noticed a dark snake slithering up to the pair. "Tommy there's a snake!" she had shrieked in alarm. Tom's eyes followed hers, landing on the dangerous creature. He stood up with her "don't move a muscle" he whispered to her, and they both froze. The snake hissed and continued gliding towards him. "We are NOT food!" Tom hissed back. The snake paused in its tracks looking at Tom.

"You speak our language? It is an honour to meet you" the snake replied. "Thank you. My friend here is a little afraid. Maybe we can talk another time?" Tom asked. "Sure" the snake answered with a nod, before turning and gliding away. Tom turned back to face Y/n and saw she was completely frozen in shock. "Y/n, Y/n are you okay?" Tom asked shaking her a bit. "Tommy you were speaking to the snake" she managed to get out. "Yeah, can't you?" he asked confused. "Obviously not, otherwise I'd have said something too. Ohmygosh this is so cool!" she gushed all of a sudden making Tom chuckle. "I made you laugh!" Y/n gasped at his reaction. "Don't tell anyone" he said, his expression becoming cold again. "You should laugh more Tommy, you look so nice, but my lips are sealed anyways" she told him, and smiled when his cheeks flushed.

*****

"Tom, Y/n. You two have a visitor" the matron told the pair, pushing open the door to Tom's bedroom as an old man walked in. The pair placed their books down, watching the old man as he took a seat opposite them. "You're a doctor aren't you?" Y/n spoke first. "No, I'm a professor" The old man replied. "I don't believe you, she wants us looked at" Tom stated bluntly, analysing the man carefully. "They think we're different" Y/n added. "Well, perhaps they're right" the man replied glancing back at her. "We're not mad" Tom countered. "Hogwarts is not a place for mad people. Hogwarts is a school, a school of magic" the old man told them. "You can both do things, cant you Tom, Y/n? Things other children can't" he continued. "we can make things move without touching them, we can make animals do what we want without training them, we can make bad things happen to people who are mean to us. Can make them hurt if we want. Who are you?" Tom asked the man.

"I'm like you Tom, I'm different" he replied. "Prove it" Y/n stated disbelievingly. Suddenly, Tom's wardrobe caught on fire, making her eyes widen in shock. "I think there is something in your wardrobe trying to get out Tom" the man addressed him. Tom stood, and walked over to the wardrobe. He opened its doors staring at the chest of items him and Y/n had taken from the other children. He pulled it out and the fire died out. "Thievery is not Tolerated at Hogwarts, Tom, Y/n. At Hogwarts you'll be taught not only how to use magic, but how to control it. You understand me?" he questioned them. The two simply glared at him as he began to leave the room. "I can speak to snakes too. They find me. Whisper things. Is that normal for someone like me?" Tom asked, making the man turn back in surprise, before he hurriedly walked off.

"So we're magic?" Y/n asked after Tom shut his door. "I'm a wizard, you're a witch, so yes. We are." He replied before noticing a thick book on the chair the man had occupied. Y/n's eyes followed his, reading the title when her eyes landed on it. "Hogwarts: A History."