Chapter 124: Fear

Start from the beginning

"What is this?!"

"Is this some sick joke?!"

"There is no way the royal family would do that!"

Nami hadn't managed to calm her shock, nor dry her tears before the crowd began yelling. The excitement they had first shown when realization that they got to watch the ceremony was replaced with confused anger. The navigator hadn't even been given a chance to process the well being of her nakama before the crowd began to blame her crew.

"It has to be the pirates fault!"

Then, another transmission began.

"Oi, this thing on?" Nami could hear Franky before he silenced himself and angled the camera.

The crowd silenced when the camera focused on the scene. The guards surrounding the in construction building being worked on by children in dirty clothing. The children carrying stacks of bricks, and an occasional yell from the guards when the children didn't work fast enough.

A man stepped closer, his eyes wide. "Is that Adara?!"

Soon, more and more people began to step closer. Each calling out a different name.

Nami watched their broken heart confusion as they called out to their children. Then she began to sneak of. She had ensured that the transmission worked, now she needed to distribute the medication Chopper and Law had made.

The area Nami had chosen to work in had the most beggars and drug users. It was a striking comparison to the district her and Robin had explored the other day. There were no pristine art sculptures, nor were the cobblestone roads kept fresh and repaired. Though some buildings did have some art decor on them, it paled in comparison.

Almost all of the buildings were worn down, some looking no more than rubble. The streets hadn't been repaired in ages, leaving large holes in the ground that Nami made sure to avoid. Had Nami not been in the noble district she would have thought the overall kingdom was poor. Which just made here wonder even more, how had they managed to avoid any pirate attack.

..............................................

Usopp was sprinting for his life. Rather, the life of him and Katsu. It was becoming harder to hold the artist as he ran. Not because his arms were becoming tired from holding her, as she was far lighter than an individual should be. No, it was because of the mass amount of blood leaving her wound now. Even with the sword still lodged inside her, the bleeding was rather heavy.

"Why did you have to stab yourself so deep?!" Usopp exclaimed, trying to make sure he didn't shift the sword.

Her half open eyes looked at him, one hand still resting on the hat Luffy had placed on her head. She was trying her best to keep it clean. "I planned to die." She answered weakly, "Figured if I died, you could all get away because they would be distracted by my wound and my actions, but it would have been enough to kill me in the end."

How many times had she explained this already?

"That was selfish!" Usopp growled, biting down on his lip to stop from crying.

"... sorry." She smiled softly, her eyes beginning to shut.

"Oi!" Usopp yelled, "Stay awake!"

He wasn't a doctor, but Usopp was fairly certain that after losing a lot of blood she shouldn't fall asleep. Without furthering her injury, he needed to do something to keep her awake.

Unfortunately, his thoughts seemed to attract trouble. Specifically, the kind from two individuals.

Usopp saw the first person step out in front of him, barely managing to side step her sword. The second person, however, caught him by surprise. Usopp fell to the ground at the jab made to his side, dropping Katsu as he went down. The fall did happen to wake her up.