32

Leo Pov

A moment of silence hung in the air, each passing second my anticipation grew in tenfold. She just stared at me and i pondered on what she was thinking, Was she contemplating the weight of my request or she had not heard me. I had not thought through about her reaction or the possibility of her turning my request down. I was sure her infatuation who do the thinking for her and she would do anything i asked of her.

Was it too soon to ask her? What if she saw through my intentions?

As the seconds dragged on, doubt crept into my mind, like a venomous serpent slithering through the corridors of my confidence.

I hated to feel like someone held my balls and could squeeze and turn them as it pleased them. Right now it felt like she was grabbing on them.

"No one has ever asked of such a huge favor," She whispered, her face masked with worry.

"I understand it is a lot to ask," I spoke hoping those words were not going to bury my dream, but to make her want to help me more.

"It is okay," She said in amiable smile. "It is just that my father is not one to give out money. He is very pragmatic. I could be in one of the most expensive university, yet her i am"

I had always wondered why she was here with sufferers and commoners like us while she could be studying with the elite like her.

"You are not in any way obligated to help, i am just trying my luck. If i get the aid i need, well and good. If i don't, well and good. My desire is to just bring the change students desire. Even if i lose i will still serve the students until i graduate and even after," I spoke my voice congenial and hoping i had convinced her in some way.

I had hoped that would be enough to get a reaction out of her but she just remained thoughtful.

Had she heard my words, or were they lost in the ether?

"You shouldn't allow a negative thought win. This university needs a president like you and i have faith you will win. I have watched you and i am sure they see what i see." She spoke.

Sometimes i wished she wasn't this perfect, that would make me feel justified in what i was doing. But, now after her words only guilt than satisfaction washed over me.

"I have tried everything, i was even thinking of selling my truck to fund. I have to break these chains and be better than where i come from, Prudence. Everyone in my family is expecting something of me." I decided maybe if i showed some glimmer of vulnerability would be the enough push.

I moved closer knowing that close proximity would mess with her head and if she saw my despair in close range then the deal would be closed.

She gazed at me and sighed, "I will talk to him tomorrow but i am not guaranteeing anything," she warned.

"You are his princess." I answered and she just gave me a weak smile.

Prudence pov

The weight of Leo's request hang on my shoulders as i walked in at our house. It felt like an honor that he trusted me enough and relied on me. However, i was afraid that i wouldn't be able to fulfil that dream of his. My father wasn't a man that would just sign you a check without you giving him a practical and justifiable reason.

I earned every cent he gave me, but the amount Leo needed it would take at most two years to earn it.

As I entered, my mother emerged, her appearance strikingly different despite only a week passing since my last visit. She greeted me with a warm smile, enveloping me in a tight embrace.

"You better get a shower before doing anything else," She spoke.

She will never change, but i was glad i was home.

"Where is father?" I asked and my mother feigned disappointed.

"You are your father's daughter." She pouted.

Her cherry side was making me curious if there was more that was going on since they left unexpectedly for their vacation last week. Where my parents about to get a divorce? My mother wasn't a fun person to be around but she knew how to make my father happy in her own serious way.

We got in and i went to their bedroom to find my father. He was seated at his desk and a pile of papers on his desk.

"Daddy?" I tried to sound sweet.

He turned and removed his glasses, "Princess," He called out one of my many nicknames. I smiled noting that maybe the odds would be for me.

"What are you doing?" I asked walking to him cautiously and gathering my thoughts in ways i could make Leo's campaign align with his values.

"Just getting work done," He put his glasses back and went on working.

"Don't be hard on yourself, i could reconcile those accounts for you," I offered and that now captured his full attention.

"What do you want Prudence?" He knew me too well that i could only offer to work if i wanted something.

"Daddy..." I pouted like a baby.

"You better speak up." He spoke his voice stern.

"You know how Leo..." He cut me off.

"Speak directly and be precise. Have I not taught you better?" His unwavering gaze stripped away the thin veil of certainty I had woven.

I swallowed a lump and stood upright, "Leo needs funding for his campaign...."

"How much?" He cut me off, leaving me surprised.

"How much?" He repeated.

I then told his the amount. What just happened? I couldn't believe my father was actually agreeing to this. It felt unreal. Maybe i could remind him about my phone.

"I need a new phone." I spoke.

"No." He was curt.

What? He was readily willing to provide funds for my boyfriend, without any questions or demands, but couldn't extend the same generosity towards my phone request?

I watched him write a check and hand it to me. "You will thank me someday," He said and i was confused what he meant. Did he think Leo was good for me that is why is said so? Yet i had a feeling that is not what he meant.

"Thanks father," I said with glee.

"Don't tell your mother," He said being the first time he was asking me to keep a secret from my mother.

I knew Leo would be so proud of me and nothing would come between us.