29

Leo pov

My phone buzzed and i checked to find a message from prudence asking why i was running late. She did text me earlier with a list of things i could get at the supermarket. I let out an irritated sigh which drew attention to me. I put my phone away without replying. I knew if i replied now i was giving away my power and she would always nag me to know where i was. I have always been independent and didn't like feeling like someone was trying to control me.

"So far what is your strategy Edwin?" I enquired about our upcoming elections.

"Regarding our earlier proposal what if we figure out a way that our opposition stays at home on election day instead of paying outsiders to increase your votes."

"What are you saying?" I asked him as my phone vibrated for the millionth time. Her constant nagging was starting to suffocate me.

"We just need to figure out a way to make sure our supporters turn out in droves, and that our opposition stays at home on election day. Simple." Edwin explained.

I nodded and turned to Python. "What about you?" Python was feared in our community, and he reveled in that fear. Despite his notoriety, however, he still feared me more than anyone else.

"So far i have two hundred people and the fake student ID are halfway done." He replied.

Python was an efficient criminal and despite growing up together we had always had different goals in life, which had led us in different directions. While he had always harbored a deep disdain for school, the police, and any form of authority, I had gone on to pursue my education and become a respected member of society.

"That is great," I said and Edwin rolled his eyes, he always worked too hard to seem worthy in my eyes, thus in constant competition with Python. But I knew that there was no competition between them. Edwin was hardworking, but Python was a master at his craft. "I like what i am hearing. I will get the money and send it to you." I addressed Python.

"And Edwin, we can brainstorm more. Any idea that saves us money is a good one." I turned to Edwin. He smiled proudly.

It was 6.23 AM when i got back at the apartment. Prudence was still sleeping. I shut the laptop beside her, it had heated up since she had left it running all night and charging too.

The room was in disarray with her clothes and suitcase strewn carelessly on the floor. However, I decided to give her the benefit of the doubt and assume that she was simply exhausted from all the moving. Hopefully, she would organize the room later in the day.

I decided to strip naked for a quick shower so i could rest and do some studying later. She stirred in her sleep and turned to face me.

"Leo," She groaned before her brain recognized what her eyes were focusing on. "Oh God!" She quickly covered her head with the blanket.

"Can't you do that in the bathroom." She said.

"It can be the first time you are seeing this." I could bet that it was but taunting her was much fun.

"Just get dressed fast." She said instead.

"We are living together, sharing a single bed. How did you think this was going to work?" I tied a towel around my waist.

"The way it should work between a girlfriend and boyfriend." She answered.

"It is safe now," I informed her.

She carefully lowered the blanket until she was sure i was not tricking her.

"Where were you last night?" She asked.

I had hoped that she had forgotten about the whole issue.

"Sorry, election stuff." I dismissed the entire topic.

"I texted you." God! she was relentless.

"I had forgotten my phone at Annex." I lied as i walked to the bathroom ensuring that there was not further discussion about the topic.

Prudence pov

I was running late for my afternoon classes as i waited for Leo. He too had classes but in the evening and he had offered to drive me to school.

As he emerged with his laptop bag, he directed his gaze at my outfit and asked, "Are you ready?" I was dressed in faded jeans and a T-shirt.

I nodded in affirmation, but I sensed that he wanted to say something, which he chose to withhold.

Once we hit the road, he informed me, "I bought some meat. You can boil it in the evening after classes."

"I will be late today," I informed him.

"Late?" He seemed displeased by my announcement.

"After classes, I plan to spend some time at the library, and I'm not sure when I'll be done," I lied. The fact that he had lied to me earlier that morning had left me reeling with all sorts of assumptions.

"How are you planning to get home that late?" he inquired, his concern for my well-being apparent.

Though I appreciated his concern, the weight of his lie sat heavily on my mind. I despised dishonesty as it robbed me of my peace, leaving me to ponder why he had lied.

"There are buses available at that time," I responded, and he fell silent for the remainder of the drive.

He seemed uneasy as we got near the main gate, "Will you be okay if i drop you here? It is not far from the gate." He asked me and i turned to him confused why he wanted to drop me in the middle of the road and not inside the university.

"Why?" I asked confused.

"I have to meet a friend." He answered.

"You can drop me off at the gate as you drive past it," I tried to persuade him.

He seemed annoyed with my suggestion and without prompting further argument, i opened the door. No sooner had i alighted than he drove off with no apologies. Leaving me hurt.