16

Leo's Pov

I pulled the stripped towel on my shoulder and wiped my face with it. It was too hot inside the Annex with the door closed. I was taking inventory and cleaning it for the weekend. Kourtney had come over to help me.  She was cleaning the glasses, I admired how perfectly she did it. They were spotless and shining as she put them back on the rack after drying them. She looked over at me and smiled and I returned it. I loved having her around, she was helpful and reliable.

"What do you think I should get Stefani for her Highschool graduation?" Kourtney asked.

Stefani was Kourtney's younger sister. I still couldn't believe she was now about to be an adult. Kourtney had been the one paying and taking care of her since. She was forced to grow up fast after her mother died of HIV/AIDS. She never knew her father, and neither did I know mine. Her mother just like mine worked as a hooker to survive. Kourtney had to fill in those shoes and sometimes she found herself doing what her mother did. I wasn't okay with it. But, I also had my garbage. We swore to do whatever it takes to escape that life in the slums. She was my perfect match, we got each other. 

"A phone isn't bad. It signifies responsibility." I said.

She put away the last glass on the rack and walked toward me with a huge grin.

"Is she ready for such responsibility with all the craziness in social media?"

"It is Stefani."

She came close and my pull to hug her won. She was a few inches short, I placed my chin on her head and then pulled away. Her hair smelled of tea tree oil, it had this pungent smell.

We are interrupted by someone knocking and also calling out my name.

Let it not be Prudence. I didn't want to see her. Ever.

Kourtney threw me a dirty look, "One of your many?" She spat.

She was aware I had many fans. We all had. She justified her that she needed those men for survival and mine was just for fun.

"She is an obsessed kid," I said.

Kourtney ignored my words and started to walk towards the door.

"Don't open. She will eventually grow tired and leave." I said but still ignored it and opened the door.

They exchanged words then Kourtney turned to me with a disappointed look and called out my name.

As I walk towards the door I could see her.

She never knew when to stop. She had a woman's mum's jeans with a multicolored top. She seemed anxious. I had decided that I didn't want to lead her on just to sleep with her. I found her to be too exhausting and concluded that the sex will be exhausting, thus not worth the pursuit.

"What are you doing here?" I sneered.

She was shocked at first by my attitude but her expression went back to normal. Her positive outlook on everything annoyed me. She had no prior experience with disappointments.

She glared at Kourtney and only spoke when she returned inside and left us alone.

"You haven't returned any of my calls, messages..." I pulled her with me when before she could finish talking.

"I lost my phone," I said once we were away from the hoping she could pick up the lie and know I wanted nothing to do with her.

She didn't.

She was too honest and assumed everyone was.

"You are not supposed to show up at my work, I was planning to pass by your room later." I lied again when my first lie failed to hope that I failed to show up in her room. It would finally sink in and get busy with her life. Yet still, her eyes lit with rekindled hope. She must have been loved as a kid. There was no way a normal person would be this naive and hopeful.

"I no longer live at the campus hostel." Her voice was low.

"Why?" I asked, almost relieved.

I saw her eyes widen as she started behind me. I hope the surprise was the realization of all my lies. Instead, a car pulled up, and a woman who seemed to be in her mid-thirties alighted along with the driver.

I was also confused.

"It is time, Prudence." The woman said.

She looked both scared and embarrassed.

"I have to go." It was a mere whisper.

I could not understand what had just gone down. Did I witness a kidnap and I did nothing. She didn't look thrilled but rather forced to get into the car. Would it be a bad idea if she was? I would be getting what I wanted. Her out of my life. An unfamiliar feeling nagged me as the car drove away. I was able to get its plate which was customized. Just in case, I told myself.

Kourtney joined me outside.

"She didn't look like a kid to me." She accused.

"She behaves and thinks like one," I said although I doubted she was anywhere near eighteen. She looked young like sixteen.

"She is different from your other fun things," Kourtney said.

I knew what she meant. Prude had no sense of fashion, or grooming, and found her appearance to be meh! Worse her emotions were all over.

"She is no one to worry about. You will never see her again." I said.

"I doubt that." She said so sure.

"Believe me."

"I have a hunch." She said instead. "I have to go prepare for tomorrow." She threw a towel on my shoulder. She looked disappointed. I hated her looking at me that way. It always made me feel like I had failed her. The world had failed both of us. I didn't want to be a part of that in her life.

I google the name of the person on the car that drove with Prudence. Maybe there would be a reward for anyone with information in case it was a kidnap.

Few images popped up and articles from magazines. One in particular answer intrigued me. It was Prudence with a man whose name was the same as the number plate. He was her father. She came from a very privileged life. I couldn't believe it. How? And yet she lived her life as a commoner? If I had a rich father like that, this world would know my name.

Found a new phone we can communicate with.

I quickly texted her before she would have decided to give up on me. Hope in those few minutes she didn't grow a brain and read through my lies, as I continuously bombed her with text after text. Finally accepting her as my friend and following her on all her social media accounts.

Jackpot!

I smiled as I realized my dreams were about to come true.