19. In which he met my mother

I had not expected Harriet to show up. She appeared frail as she approached the entrance together with Natalie and Lydia. I was surprised that Natalie had worn something past her mid-thigh. I had no problem with her choice of dressing but considering this was a church occasion, i suspected most people would hold a controversial opinion if she showed up with her short attires.

"Wow!" Lydia couldn't help herself. "If i lived in such a house, screw school hostels." She added, her eyes briefly meeting mine as my parent's house entranced her.

It is unfortunate that she only saw the outer layer of my life and had no idea how lonely, closed, and sheltered it could be as an only child. School hostels made me feel i belonged and normal.

"I'm glad you all showed up." I smiled as my gaze was drawn to Harriet. She couldn't look me in the eyes because she was too embarrassed. Perhaps she was regretting opening up to me the day before. She had revealed a very important secret to me.

"I can't wait to see how the inside looks as it may give me a glimpse of what my life with my third husband will be like." Natalie made a sly remark.

We laughed at her statement except Harriet who had a dark cloud around her. I felt like holding her as my big sister and assure her life would go on and she would be okay.

My mother walked out wearing a blue skirt, a white blouse, and a blue and white headscarf. Her lips parted and I recognized that familiar smile, perfected for guests she had less respect for but couldn't show on their faces.

"You are here girls." She looked over at Harriet, her opinion about her remined unchanged and still perceived her as the most rotten of all my three roommates and i had no doubt if she would know her secret she would rub it on my face that her instinct were correct. On other hand i viewed Harriet as a good person that had erred. "Come on in." She extended her arms to the open doors.

I hoped she would be that welcoming to Leo and at least be genuine about it.

Annie walked out and called her back to the house.

"Annie will help you with your readings." I said to Natalie and Lydia whom i had bribed to read the first and second readings respectively, of the mass. While i would sing the responsorial psalms.

As the girls headed inside the house Harriet stopped and seemed hesitant as her glare was on the pot of flower behind me, "Please don't tell anyone what i told you yesterday." She couldn't look at me in the eye.

"I can never do that but i hope you accept my support." I sincerely told her.

She pursed her lips thinking hard about to speak but ultimately decided to follow the other girls inside the house.

My mother came outside again just as Leo was entering inside the compound.

"That seems like an expensive car for a student." My mother spoke, sharing my initial thought when i met Leo.

"He is an hard worker mum and you will love him." I said instead.

He stepped out with a banquet of pink carnation flowers. He had never bought me any flowers, but there was a start for everything.

My mother looked at me and then back at Leo, who didn't mind having all of our attention. He came to a halt in front of us, and my heart did a somersault. I loved how he had this effect on me whenever he was near me.

"It's a lovely home." He said this as he handed her the flowers, and I felt a twinge of disappointment that they were never meant for me. I could only assume it was because we hadn't begun dating yet, and I was hoping by the end of the day. My parents would bless us and officiate our courtship.