1. In which I got lost

If we are brave enough to say goodbye, the world will reward us with a new hello. Paolo Coelho.

I stood confused as I stared at the blue and cream-yellow building. 'such odd colors to combine. Bold blue letters 'Postmodern Library' hanging on its walls. There was a familiar cool breeze that emanated from the small fountain in front of the library. It immediately dawned on me that I had walked past it twice in the last ten minutes.

I lifted my hand and brushed my temple, physically I was beaten and had to remind myself to sign up for the gym.

I exhaled looking around.

This is what you get for failing to show up on orientation day. I condemned myself.

I checked my wristwatch, eleven minutes past eight. The class was supposed to start exactly at eight. I tried to trace my way back to the main gate where I had seen the geographical map of the University. I couldn't find it. Everything looked familiar and oddly unfamiliar. The identical pavements of this university never made any sense.

I looked around everyone was trying to get somewhere not realizing there was a stranger within them. I tried to muster up the courage to ask any of them where ole...., I couldn't even pronounce the name of the lecture hall without looking stupid.

A petite girl dressed in what looked like a skirt made of feathers walked in my direction. I tried to force a smile on my ever-frowning face, I opened my mouth only for her to walk past me like I was invisible.

Maybe I was invisible, always had been in high school.

Either way, I could not blame her. I looked like those commissioned salespeople. who stood by the roadside handing out flyers in my buggy jeans, converse, and a hand full of books. It wasn't long before an equally confused girl passed by.

"Excuse me" I called her out, she also walked past me but realized she had earphones on. So I ran after her.

"Excuse me" I repeated, patting her back. She then removed her earphones.

Her brows furrowed as she ferociously chewed her gum momentarily distracting me.

"yeah, what is it? " she spoke rolling her tongue on her bubble gum and snapping me back to reality.

"I'm... uh..." I stammered, and she seemed impatient as I struggled to find my words "could you please direct me where ole...." I tried to pronounce it.

She quirked her eyebrows, perplexed by what I was trying to communicate but seemed to understand fast.

"oh, you mean ole-moi-yoi?" She asked and I nodded praying to the mighty deity that was the correct building.

"No wonder you are lost, we call it OML. It is easier that way to remember." Her lips moved slightly amused by my misfortune. "I'm even heading that way" she added.

I checked my wristwatch again at 8.40. This was supposed to be my first class. I woke up early to make sure I was less anxious and comfortable in class when the lecturer arrived.

"By the way I'm Prudence" I introduced myself as we walked.

There was a stretched silence then realized she had her earphones on again.

"Here were are, next time you won't get lost," she said turning to face me.

I recognized the tall building. I almost slapped myself because the whole time I had been passing there looking for it. I took out my timetable to confirm the hall number.