24

It hurt to breathe, I would never imagine this kind of pain existed. The mere act of breathing seemed futile. How could he hurt me badly? He had been lying to me? How could humans be this evil towards their own? These are questions I had no answer to but just bled my heart out.

Last night's event played out in my head and I jolted up when I remembered Leo's suggestion. I sat up and looked around me as my roommates and several strangers scattered across my room asleep.

He had asked me to move in with him. It was a huge step, a step he was willing to take just to prove that he was serious with me. I did not need to tell my parents because I knew there was nothing I would do or say to them to convince them that moving in with a boy was a good idea.

If they caught wind of such an idea had been spoken. I would be shipped away immediately and I did want that. I was yet to decide if forgiving Leo was a good idea, but I knew that I wanted him around my life. I did not imagine that relationships would be this hard. My seventeen years of living on earth never prepared me for that. It's something I never experienced in my family. Neither of my parents ever cheated on the other. I sighed frustrated when my thought only left me confused.

I decided to go downstairs and make sure that my parent's house was still intact. And to find a cure for my hangover, I was never going to drink again.

I stopped in my tracks when I spotted Leo with a group of students that were finishing the cleaning. I did not expect to see him again too soon especially when an overwhelming decision was hanging around me.

He gazed up at me and waved, I forced a smile as he stopped what he was doing rushing up to meet me at the stairs.

"You are finally up." He said.

"Sadly," I said. I had hoped that last night was just a dream but when I woke and remembered that it was real, my heart hurt again.

"Did you sleep well?" He inquired.

I nodded.

"Let me make you my antidote for a hangover." He offered.

I shrugged my shoulders following him downstairs to the kitchen. Once we arrived he stood looking around to figure it out. "Where do you keep your vegetables?" He asked.

I looked around the kitchen confused too, "I don't know." I was honest. I never had to know where things were kept when I could be served.

His mouth hung open both shocked and baffled, "How is that possible?"

" We have help for that," I said.

"Do you even know how to cook?" His tone was condescending.

I shook my head without caring what he thought of me.

"Wow!" That was all he could manage to say.

"Make yourself comfortable I will look around for anything." He instructed and I took a stool at the island.

I watched him move around opening everything and note how he struggled to look for the fridge once he figured out where it was he struggled again to open it like it was the first time he had seen such a huge fridge. I could have offered to help but I doubted his ego would survive after that.

I took my phone and replied to my parent's WhatsApp. Assuring them I was okay and being fed right by the help.

My mother shared photos of her and my father having dinner at some can't like a restaurant. They seemed happy and were equally happy for them.

Leo placed a glass with green liquid in front of me and I gagged. It looked disgusting.

"Try it and you will thank me." He said making my head throb more.

"Don't get ahead of yourself," I said but still took a sip of it.

It tasted weird with a taste of different vegetables and fruits. He was looking at me waiting I gulp it down, the entire glass. I did and by the time I took the last gulp, it was tasty.

"Give it a few minutes and that hangover will be a thing of the past."

I smiled and hoped that it was that easy.

"Prudence?" I looked up at the source and it was Harriet. She was already dressed and her bag was on her shoulder indicating that she was on her way out. It was unexpected since we had plans for today.

Her eyes landed on Leo and her mood quickly transformed she was the only one that I had told about Leo and the girl he was kissing. And since then, you couldn't convince her to like him.

"Why are you leaving so soon?" I walked to meet her.

She looked at me and then over at Leo choosing to remain silent. I realized maybe she was uncomfortable conversing with Leo in the room.

"Let me walk you out then," I said.

Her face relaxed with relief as we walked out.

"Why are you leaving?" I asked once we were just the two of us.

"Family." She was brief.

"Are feeling any better now?" I asked her.

She nodded, "I don't know but I pray I will find my peace with time." She spoke with sadness.

I took a step forward and hugged her, "You will be fine and I am willing to walk with you on that journey." I reminded her, the guilt of the forced abortion she had was consuming her and turning her into a shell. Though she spoke little of that, her sadness clouded her face.

"Take care and don't trust Leo," she said and I watched her walk away.

I found Leo cleaning up the mess he had made in the kitchen. It was unbelievable how well his team had cleaned the entire house leaving no evidence that a party had been hosted there.

"Your friend doesn't like me that much." He said his back turned to me.

"She is just shy, Harriet likes everyone," I informed him.

"Her behavior towards me says otherwise." He countered my words.

"She will come around," I said instead.

"I should be going too." He spoke.

"What about the plans you had?" I asked.

"Maybe next weekend." He replied. There was a stretch of silence before he spoke again, " Did you think about us living together?"

I froze at his reminder. I was hoping he would give me time. It was just a confusing step and I was conflicted by it.

"I need more time," I asked him and he turned away disappointed.

"Call me when you decide." He said.

Chapter 31 is now available at inkitt.

username: ivybrown179