20. In which she gave us her blessings

I love you because the universe conspired to help me find you, Paulo Coelho

I couldn't hide my excitement as I rushed upstairs. I found Natalie braiding Lydia's hair and Harriet was sprawled on my bed reading my book. Gifted hands by Ben Carson. My father had gifted me as a kid when I was struggling to fit in the Catholic school. It helped me and became a big part of my life. Although i had a love and critical relationship with the story.

"I know that smile, did your mother agree to both of you dating?" Natalie sat up, her hand still griping on Lydia's hair.

"Even better, he invited me to join him and his friends." I sat beside Harriet with a huge stupid grin on my face.

"He must really like you to want you to meet his friends." Natalie said still pulling Lydia's hair.

"Ouch! What the hell?" Lydia cursed at her moving away from Natalie.

We giggled at Lydia's expense but she didn't seem pleased by our actions.

"I already met some of his friends." My voice involuntarily dimmed at the end.

"And? You don't seem pleased you did." Natalie persisted as Harriet put her book aside, curiously waiting for my response.

I looked around and three pair of eyes were all on me. "They just gave a bad vibe that's all." I tried to lighten the matter while in reality, ever since i meet them i carried a nagging thought throughout that they weren't good people and as much as i was happy Leo had invited me. I hoped that they weren't the same group of friends he was referring to.

"Can i say something?" Harriet's voice cracked nervously as we turned to her.

"You know something?" Lydia asked her tone coming off harshly and an expression of regret flashed through Harriet's' face, probably wishing she had kept quiet.

"You can speak your mind." I smiled at her easing her nerves.

"I have heard rumors that Leo is involved in a gang and he even sells counterfeit alcohol at annex for that gang." She spoke fast and sighed relieved once she was done.

Silence fell in the room and after a while Lydia laughed breaking it, "Who told you and you have no friends?" She turned to Harriet.

Harriet face fell.

"I believe you Harriet but i also believe those are just lie by his opponent." I told said. I might not have known Leo that well but the bits he let me saw were of an honest and ambitious man who also had a limit. I didn't think he would jeopardize his education and the health of students just for money. He was running for the university president and in politics anything sold.

"That makes sense." Natalie spoke just as my mother knocked and opened the door without waiting for my response.

"Mum?" I called out her name disappointed that she won't give me and my roommates any privacy. However, i stood and went to meet her.

"You father and I are flying out for a week." She informed me once we were outside my room.

"Is everything alright?" I questioned because she hadn't told me that she had such plans.

She seemed not her usual self no matter how hard she tried to compose herself and it began to worry me.

"All is well, just business." She assured and i was not convinced but i knew it was hopeless on pressing her for more details.

"What about Leo and school hostels?" That had been my agenda for today and i badly wanted to know her decision.

"I don't trust that boy, he can be too overly charming but not convincing." she stated.

I opened my mouth to speak but she was quick to stop me, "You can continue seeing him but promise me one thing?"

"Anything mum, anything." I jumped up, i was too overjoyed and at that point i could promise even the impossible.

"Be careful." She spoke.

"I promise." I jumped and hugged her and she was hesitant at first but her arms held me. I didn't know the sudden cause for her change in attitude towards Leo but i didn't care. Finally, i could be with Leo.

"And you can go back to the hostels at the end of the week when we return." She added.

I had to mark today as the best day of my life. It is just seemed too good to be true. My mother wasn't one to change her mind easily and had to wonder if the impromptu journey was the cause.

Another week at home seemed like ages, i couldn't wait to get back at school hostel. Spend my days and nights with Leo and no more supervision.

"I will miss you and dad." I said and her eyes were filled with sadness with was very unusual.

Had to assure her that in her absence that i would ensure all the workers did their work as this was the first time in my life i would be left at home alone. I either travelled with both of my parents or i was left at home with one.

"Enjoy your stay, girls." My mother followed me inside my room as she bid us goodbye.

"You are lucky." Lydia said.

"We all are." I said going back to sit beside Harriet.

"Not all parents love their kids like yours." She said and the room fell silence. She hardly spoke about her family but from her statement i could guess there must have been a reason for that.

"My parents do but they never understand me." Natalie said.

"You have a text, Pru." Lydia spoke, i had not realized she had my phone. She sometimes took it to play games with it. "It is from Leo, can i read for you."

Her eyes flickered to mine compelling me to give in to her request. But i couldn't do that, "No, give it to me." I said and she seemed disappointed as she handed me my phone.

I miss you can't wait for tomorrow.

I read his text and it made me smile.

My parents have given our relationship a go ahead

The text was already send when i realized mistake for using 'our relationship'. I was already defining it with just one date.

When he took long to reply i realized that maybe my words had scared him.

"He will probably never speak to me again." I spoke out loud. Natalie took the phone from my hand. She carefully read the chats.

"I will fix it for you." She smiled at me as she started to text. "Done." She handed it back after a while.

I took the old phone from her hand and my mouth went wide open at what she had done.

"You invited him here? a party? what have you done?" I turned to her.

"You will thank me." She answered with smug.

"I pray your right." I aid sarcastically imagining if this went wrong and my parents found out, then i could kiss Leo, pubic universities goodbye.

Chapter 21 is now available at inkitt.

Username: Ivybrown179

Book title: Let's play house

Follow me there and leave a review.