BK II Part I: The Edge of the Ocean|Ch.23: At the Bay

The dragonets were flying over the ocean, then going to land on an island. Tsunami was the first to step onto the sandy ground, her talons digging into the sand as she breathed in the ocean breeze with joy. "You guys," Glory started, looking out to the ocean. "That is the smell of freedom." "Freedom? It smells a lot like fish." Starflight said, flicking his ear. "Well, at least Tsunami loves it." Tsunami only grinned, looking at her talons in the sand.

"Shouldn't we hide under the trees?" Phoenix suggested, earning a nod of agreement from the Nightwing. "Exactly, Phoenix. We have to hide under the trees, otherwise a patrol might spot us." Tsunami shrugged, turning to her friend. "You have future sight, so can you see if a patrol does spot us?" "I could try, but we shouldn't risk it still." Starflight sat down, closing his eyes to focus on the future seeing.

Meanwhile Tsunami submerged her head in the water, trying to catch a fish. Phoenix watched her with an amused expression, which changed to a cautious one when Gill made his way to her. The female Seawing lifted her head, turning to Gill. "Let... me try." he said in a mumble, his voice a bit scratchy and dry. Tsunami nodded at him to go on, which he did. Clay stood next to Tsunami, his stomach growling as he scanned the water. "You know what I love? Fish!" he stated, patting his belly. "But not the little wriggle-scraps, but rather the big ones!"

Sunny scoffed playfully. "Clay it's only been a day since you ate that enormous pig!" "It wasn't enormous! That was the smallest pig in the whole world!" Clay exclaimed, crossing his arms. Permafrost's stomach growled as if to agree. "Well he's right. I wanna eat something!" "We all do, buddy." Phoenix muttered, laying on the warm sandy ground and trying to ignore his growling stomach.

Gill lifted his head from the water with a fish, which he handed to Tsunami. The blue Seawing was surprised, but took the fish. "Thanks." The green sea dragon gave her a friendly smile, turning to the other dragonets. "Those dragonets. What's important about them?" he asked with suspicion. "They're my friends." Tsunami sighed, eating the fish. "I grew up with them, and we all took care of each other. I would not forgive myself if anything happened to them." she explained, her expression showing hurt at the thought of something happening to them.

Starflight reopened his eyes, trotting over to the other dragonets. "Skywing patrols will be passing by soon! We need to hide!" he exclaimed, making his way to Tsunami quick. "Don't attack the patrol immediately, please. I foresaw that you would, so don't attack them. They will not see us." He then went to run to the forest, and sure enough they all got into action to hide. Clay and Permafrost buried themselves into the sand, and Glory turned invisible as she laid next to Sunny, who had began to bury herself in the sand. She had to make sure to cover herself completely (minus her snout to breathe), as her golden scales were too bright in contrast to the pale sand. Phoenix ran to the trees to hide with Starflight, and finally Tsunami and Gill hid in the water.

She was being tossed around by the strong current, as she had never been in the ocean before. Gill noticed and helped to rebalance her, earning a thankful look from Tsunami. She anxiously wondered if her friends were all hidden well, and went to resurface to check. Gill pulled her down, shaking his head. Tsunami pulled away from him, resurfacing her head to check on her friends. Immediately she noticed a Mudwing with the patrols, wondering if she was with the Talons. Much closer to the island she saw a Skywing hovering and looking at the trees.

"Is he? Oh no.." she began to panic, noticing that he was looking at where Starflight and Phoenix were hidden at. "He must have seen Phoenix or Starflight! Right?" she shook those thoughts out. "No, Starflight said he would not notice us. We're fine... right? Are we? Are they?" Her adrenaline kicked in as the Skywing began to open his mouth, and she immediately tried to launch out of the water to take him out. She was instantly yanked back under by Gill, almost catching the patrol's attention.

The male sea dragon gave her a glare of "stand down now", then looked back up. Once the Skywing left the area, and after making sure he left for good, the dragonets came into view. Gill growled at Tsunami, making her flinch. "What are you thinking, girl?" he asked coldly, huffing. "That Skywing did not notice your friends! Had I not stopped you in time, you could have gotten yourself and your friends captured or worse!" Starflight turned to Tsunami with a look of disbelief. "I very clearly said that he would not notice us, Tsunami. Why did you go to attack him?" "W-well, I- it looked like he was about to call for the others!! I saw him open his mouth!" Glory scoffed, her scales an acid green color. "So did I, but I'm pretty sure he was yawning, you absolute coconut!"

Tsunami growled stressfully. "'Pretty sure'?! You would risk our lives for 'pretty sure'!!" she yelled, but then got to thinking. "What if he was actually not going to call for them, but rather... no. I saved my friends! I saw danger and I reacted accordingly." "Please stop arguing... and let's just... find a place to rest..." Permafrost whined, inching closer to Clay. The Mudwing sighed, pulling the IceMudwing in a hug. "Yeah, let's just go, please."

They then took off, going off to find a place to rest. Tsunami glanced back at the beach. "Why can't we just sleep on the beach?" she asked, her pace slowing down slightly. "We need to stay hidden." Explained Starflight, not looking back at the beach. Tsunami exhaled sharply, gazing forward. "No one's going to see us in the middle of the night!" "Sure they won't." said the Nightwing with sarcasm. "Let's just not risk it, anyway." "He's right." Glory said, earning a groan from the Seawing. "You always think he's right!"

Gill hissed at the group, somewhat telling them to shut up. "If you keep bickering, the Skywings will come back to investigate!" the group had now silenced, but it surely did not silence Tsunami's annoyance and worry.