Ch.15: Musical Night

Clay panicked on the spot, unable to do anything to help his friends and cousin. "What are we going to do?!" he fiddled his talons, turning from dragon to dragon on the pillars. "Starflight won't survive the arena tomorrow!!" the mud dragon tapped his tail on the surface of the pillar. "And Burn is coming for Sunny, Permafrost and Phoenix..." "They won't take us, Clay!" Phoenix reassured him, even though he was as nervous as his Mudwing friend. "I hope you're right.."

Time passed, and both Clay and Phoenix remained nervous. Clay had caught the sight of something passing by, and looked up at it to inspect it. "Is that Peril?" he had asked, but laid back down when he saw it was just a bird. Eventually the sun had began to get closer to the ground of the horizon, painting the sky around it yellow. The Mudwing huffed, drawing circles on the surface. "Could we save Kestrel?" he then winced at a thought. "But Starflight, Sunny, Permafrost and Phoenix won't make it in time..."

Now the sky was almost fully yellow, and the area around where the sun had set was orange. It was slowly getting darker. "C'mon, Peril... please help us..." Clay muttered, then shook his head. "Come on, Clay. Think of something else..." the dragonet then smiled, of course thinking about cows as he always does. "Mmm, cows." He licked his muzzle, wishing to taste a cow again. They were his favorite prey, and most of the time whenever the guardians had caught different types of prey he would always go for the cows. Clay grinned at the memory, but then it fell to a frown. "I wish I could share some cows with my friends..."

Now the sky was a dark fuchsia color with a dark blue gradient, and stars began to light the sky. "I miss them..." Clay sighed, unaware of the shadow creeping over him. Eventually he finally heard wingbeats, and he swiftly turned to face the owner of the shadow. "Peril!! Finally!!" "Uhh... Clay that's not Peril..." Phoenix called out, staring right at the large dragon who casted the shadow. "You're right... that's not Peril..." Clay glared, his tail lashing.

Flying over the Mudwing was the huge scarred Sandwing princess, Burn. Behind her were two guards, each looking around for anything that could attack the princess. Clay held a talon up above his eyes to cover the light from the setting sun, then he discovered that the wire attached to his cuff was loose. He pulled it through the tiny hoop of the cuff, which made a strangely beautiful humming noise. Phoenix perked up, turning to the Mudwing. Then Clay ran the wire onto the still intact one, hearing it make that same sound. "Clay! You're making music!" Phoenix laughed, his ears facing forward. "Yeah! Phoenix, give me a slow beat!" "You got it!"

The Skywing tapped the surface, making a slow and gentle rhythm. Clay nodded in approval, then played the wires like a violin. It seemed to catch the attention of the surrounding prisoners as they faced the two friends, who were playing the song that most of Pyrrhia knew: The Dragonets are Coming.

It was now fully night time, and Clay and Phoenix still played the song. They were sure that the whole kingdom could hear them, if not the entire continent. All of a sudden, one by one, the prisoners began to sing along to the song.

"Oh the dragonets are coming..."
"They're coming to save the day!"
"They're coming to fight,"
"For they know what's right."
"The dragonets are coming!"
"Oh the dragonets are coming!"
"They're coming to save the day!!"
"They're coming to fight!!"
"For they know what's right!!"
"The dragonets!!"
"THE DRAGONETS!!"

They then all laughed along once they finished, having brought some light to a dark moment. Phoenix turned to Clay, a grin on his face. "Let's go again!!" he suggested, earning cheers from the other dragons. Clay then lifted the wires, preparing to play them again. "Ready?" "Yeah!!" "Yes!!" "Uh-huh!" everyone then got ready, and Clay strummed the first few notes to begin. Phoenix tappd a beat, and he started the chorus. "Oh the dragonets are coming-"

"STOP THAT INFERNAL NOISE!!" Burn hissed out, flying between a Sandwing prisoner and an Icewing prisoner. Her sudden appearance, and interruption, caused the prisoner dragons to jump. "Oh... we done messed up.." Phoenix muttered, which Clay nodded in agreement. Then next to Burn flew Scarlet, and just like her Sandwing ally she was angry. "Bring the four troublemakers." the Skywing queen ordered, and the Skywing guards unhooked Clay and Phoenix. They then brought the dragonets to the castle, where Tsunami and Starflight stayed in.

"If anyone else sings, burn out their tongue." Scarlet snarled, glaring at the dragonets in the room. The dragonets were cornered by the guards, two of which were the brothers. They gave the dragonets an apologetic look, which weirded out Tsunami. Suddenly the Skywing queen pointed to Peril, a scowl on her face. "You. Out." The flaming sky dragon flinched, confused at the order. "But... this is my room!" "OUT!"

Peril marched out of the room, frowning as she looked back at Clay. "You interrupted our feast." Scarlet huffed out, sending a glare at each dragonet. "You will not do that again." Burn then hissed, eyeing the Skywing queen. "Why don't we just kill them already?" "Because that would be no fun." Scarlet glanced at Burn, not acknowledging her annoyed glare. "I have a whole day of entertainment planned for tomorrow!! It's my hatching day! I want it to be thrilling!!" Burn lowly growled, baring her sharp teeth. "I don't care about your 'fun'. We need to stop the prophecy, so let's just kill them and get it over with!"

Instinctively Clay got in front of the other dragonets in a protective manner. Scarlet watched the Sandwing princess. "Well... yes. However, if we kill them now, out of sight from everyone else, it does us no good. Even if we hang them from the palace walls, no one will believe it's them." she explained, then grinned at the Sandwing. "But if we put them in the arena, everyone can see them die!" Scarlet hissed, crossing her arms. "They'll lose all faith in the prophecy, much more powerful that way! With quite some gruesome visuals!! Don't you agree?"

Burn huffed, watching as Scarlet scattered coals around the dragonets. "What if they win?" The Skywing queen looked back at Burn, lightly glaring at her. "They won't. But killing them outselves is a brilliant backup plan." Tsunami snorted, lashing her tail. "We've right here, you know!! Don't you want to hatch your secret evil plan somewhere more secretive??" She growled, peeking over Clay, who was glaring at the older dragons.

Burn sneered at them, stepping out as Scarlet shot out a stream of flame at the coals, lighting them up. "And who do you think you'll tell before you die?" Quickly the flames grew much bigger, making Clay jump back from them. "YIPES!" Behind the bright flames, Scarlet grinned maliciously at them. "I really thought I would get to play with you for a while longer, but I guess you'll just have to die tomorrow. No one ever lets me have any fun."

Then both royals walked away from the fire, to the entrance of the room. "Sleep well, so you'll be thrilling for the arena tomorrow."