Ch.12: An Arena Fight

Phoenix was put up first for the fight, since the queen wanted to see his potential. He would be lying if he said he was not scared. He was absolutely terrified, not because his opponent is an Icewing, nor because he might go against Peril, but because the Icewing he was going against was absolutely huge, and he swore the Icewing was larger than Morrowseer.

"After last month's battle with Blaze's army, my dungeons were stuffed with Icewing prisoners from the war. Only six have survived. After four wins, here's Everest of the Icewings!" Scarlet announced, watching the two dragons. "And in this corner, I'm sure a legendary dragonet of destiny wil have no problem surviving my little aren. Isn't that right, Phoenix of the Skywings?"

The crowd went wild, chanting and cheering the fight. "Kill the Skywing!" "Disembowel him!" "Freeze his face off!" "Rip his wings off!" "Whooo!" "Kill the Icewing!" "Burn him to a crisp!" "Huzzah!" "Shove his tail down his throat!" "Rip his guts out!"

Phoenix gulped, shaking his head to shake out the nerves as he got into position to fight. "Claws up! Teeth ready! FIGHT!!" Scarlet announced, and at that moment Everest launched at Phoenix. The Skywing rolled to the left just in time, and he swiped his claws at the huge ice dragon. The pure white dragon hissed, hurling around and snapping his jaws at the Skywing, missing the smaller dragonet by a scale.

"SHIT!! THAT WAS WAY TOO CLOSE!!" Phoenix skidded away from Everest, examining the massive dragon for any weak points. "There's not much to this monster that I can use against him! He's practically all armor!" he thought, jumping just in time before the massive ice dragon could crush him. As Phoenix held onto the Icewing, scratching and biting at his face, he remembered something.

"Dragons aren't fireproof on the inside..." echoed a voice, which was unfamiliar but familiar at the same time. He also remembered studying the Icewings with Starflight, and he had read that their scales were not made for protecting them against fire attacks.

Phoenix huffed, hopping off of Everest and landing in front of him. "Seems like you can't even land a hit on me with your talons! Isn't that right, Everest?" The Skywing teased, earning an annoyed hiss from the white dragon. The Icewing inhaled, which Phoenix knew was the sign that he was going to use his freezing breath. "Bring it on, popsicle."

"Shut. Your. Damn! MOUTH!!" Everest then exhaled the freezing blast at Phoenix. The dragonet tucked under the blast, running under him until he was behing the white dragon. The Icewing turned his head to Phoenix, then inhaled to use his blast again. This time when he exhaled, Phoenix shot a blast of fire into Everest's mouth, immediately blocking the blast and stunning the Icewing. The blue Skywing took this chance and dug his claws into the large dragon's face, impaling one eye.

"AARRGH!! GET OFF ME!" The Icewing roared, falling back with a thud. Phoenix stood on Everest's chest, moving his talons to the ice dragon's neck. Now it was Everest's turn to be scared, now that he was staring at Phoenix with fear and confusion. "W-what's wrong with you, kid?! This is not how Skywings fight!! I trained under Skywing fighting techniques!! Other Skywings don't fight like this!!" Phoenix gazed into Everest's eyes, seeing his fear. The Skywing did not want to do this, to kill a dragon, but he had to. It was either kill him or be killed himself.

Letting out a grunt, Phoenix leaned forward to Everest's ear. "Well I am not other Skywings. I'm sorry, but I have to survive to fulfill the prophecy." he hissed, grasping the dragon's neck tightly, digging his claws into it. "May your soul rest in peace, Everest of the Icewings."

Then with one swift move Phoenix snapped the Icewing's neck, closing his eyes as he heard a thud. The crowd was cheering him on, chanting his name. Phoenix looked up at Scarlet, seeing her satisfied grin. "That was not what I expected, those fighting techniques were nothing like I have seen before. However, I am satisfied with your battle. Guards!" She then lifted a wing, and a group of guards flew down to the arena. Phoenix hopped off of Everest, walking to the guards. "Take Phoenix to the pillar and chain him up, then remove the Icewing. After that, bring in the Mudwing!"

As Everest was being dragged out of the arena, and Clay was being unchained for the fight, the guards brought Phoenix up to the pillar where they chained him back up. "I'm not going to lie, but that was an impressive fight, kid." the red guard complimented, while the yellow one sat next to Phoenix. "Um... thanks, but aren't you supposed to..." "To be by her majesty? Well... yeah, but we want to talk to you about something." Phoenix looked down, seeing Clay be put in the arena, and hearing Scarler give the announcement for the combatants. "Shoot."

The red guard hummed, glancing at Phoenix's scales. "Firstly, are you a Seawing hybrid? Cause your blue scales kinda suggest it..." Phoenix shook his head, lifting a talon. "Nope. I'm all Skywing. I don't have gills, fins, nor bioluminescent scales. And I also don't have those things on my chin." he explained, pointing to his own chin to show it. "Ah, well it's just that Tyto here was asking me that question for a long time, and I thought that we could ask you." Said the red Skywing, pointing at Tyto. "You also had that same question, Plummet."

Phoenix glanced at the two, seeing their behavior. "Are you two brothers or...?" he asked, watching as Plummet nodded. "Yeah, we're brothers. I'm the older brother, if you're curious." Said the red dragon, glancing at where Scarlet was at before standing up. "Well, I guess that's our free time done. C'mon, Tyto, we have to go back to our positions." Plummet said, unfolding his wings to fly to his position. Tyto held his arm, turning to Phoenix. "I have another question, if you don't mind?" "Not at all. Go ahead!" Tyto then intertwined his talons in a pleading way. "Please tell me you're going to choose a Sandwing queen and stop the war!"

Looking around, the yellow dragon held Phoenix's shoulders. "I never admitted this to anyone other than my brother, but Burn scares me!" Tyto whispered, shuddering at mentioning the Sandwing princess's name. "She's too violent, and I don't wanna work with her, but..." he glanced at Plummet who held him close. "...I don't want to be punished for treason..." the blue dragonet sighed, feeling bad that these two Skywings had to serve their queen with fear of her ally. He stared at Tyto with a stern look on his face. "We'll stop the war and pick a good queen." before the brothers could thank him, Phoenix held a talon up. "But, we need to get out of this arena first to meet the other two sisters, and then we will pick one."

Plummet nodded his head, patting the dragonet's shoulder. "When the time is right, we'll help you and the other dragonets out of here." Phoenix smiled at him, looking to the horizon at some mountains. "Somewhere over there is where the Talons of Peace reside in. When the time is right, you two will help us out of here and head over to the Talons." He told the brothers, who both thanked him. Tyto then saluted to Phoenix, flying down to where Scarlet was at. Plummet followed his brother closely, leaving Phoenix to watch the rest of the fight, which he almost jumped in when the Icewing, Fjord, had Clay pinned down.

"NO!! YOU WILL NOT KILL HIM!!" he heard Tsunami yell, and with that he felt the chains pull him. Phoenix glanced over and saw Tsunami tangled in the chains, wriggling around to try to untangle herself and save Clay. "Tsunami! Stop moving or you will bring us all down!!" Phoenix yelled, practically digging his claws into the pillar. By now everyone at the arena casted their attention to the sea dragon, who kept struggling against the chains. Scarlet sneered at this, annoyed that the fight was interrupted.

"AAAAAARRGH!!" The Seawing stopped when screaming was heard. Everyone looked down to see Fjord writhing in pain and holding his face, which was melting off. "IT HURTS!! HELP ME, PLEASE!!" he yelled as he dug at the ground and at his face. Eventually the Icewing stopped moving, causing the crowd to cheer on Clay, and for Scarlet to grin with satisfaction.

Clay stared at the ice dragon, trying to figure out what happened. Phoenix was just as confused, looking at the viewing dragons, at the prisoners, his friends, and then to Scarlet. He wondered what caused Fjord to die like this.