Ch.10: Talking with The Champion

Some hours later, now at nighttime, Clay laid on the pillar while staring down at his talons. He talked with Phoenix, mostly about what happened in the arena with Peril. Just then a pigeon was dropped in front of Clay, scaring him as he wasn't expecting it. After processing what it was through burnt feathers, and the smell, he tore its feathers off and began eating it. "Ah! You're hungry! Good!" Peril then landed on the pillar, making Clay go completely still. "Woah." The mud dragon glanced up at the Skywing. "It's okay! I'll stay very still, I promise."

She did indeed stand still, looking from Clay to the bird. "Um... do you want another one?" Clay looked at the bird, or what was left of it. "I'm alright." Peril hummed, glancing out to the horizon. "Do you... do you want me to go away?" The Mudwing shook his head slightly, seeing as Peril seemed upset. "No. Stay here and talk to me." he said, watching Peril as she was now surprised. "Aren't you afraid of me?" "Of course I am, but you're honestly much better company than the pigeons." Clay admitted, swiping the feathers and bones off the pillar. "All they ever want to talk about is who to poop on."

Peril laughed, snorting a bit as she did. Clay glanced at Phoenix as if to ask him if Peril is ok, to which the Skywing shrugged. The Mudwing then turned to the burning sky dragon. "Are... you ok?" The Skywing cleared her throat, stopping her laughter. She then looked down, her expression blank. "What the Sandwing did today... it was weird. He just gave up. Why would he do that? Her majesty was very upset."

"She was angry at you?" Clay asked, confused. "That does not seem fair!" Peril glanced at him. "It doesn't?" she then shook her head, turning her head to the side. "No. The queen is right. It's my responsibility to make the fight more exciting." Clay huffed, starting to sympathize the Skywing. "Why do you even do as she says anyway? Do you like fighting?" Phoenix spoke from the other pillar, his brows furrowed. Peril looked at him, nodding. "Of course I do! I'm really good at it!" She then flew to Phoenix's pillar, making sure to keep her distance. "Scarlet is my queen, and I'm her champion."

Clay sat up, keeping still on the spot. "But why you?" "Because no one else wanted me." Peril sighed, her gaze setting onto her body. "Not like anyone can touch me, anyway. I was born with too much fire, and usually they kill dragons like me." The Skywing's face then scrunched up into a hurt snarl. "My mother was about to snap my neck when queen Scarlet killed her." Clay and Phoenix were silent. They couldn't believe that a dragon was willing to kill their own dragonet just because they were born dangerous. "Wow." was all that Clay could say at the moment. "Yeah.." Peril hummed. "I'm so sorry that's happened to you..." Phoenix reached to touch her shoulder but immediately pulled his talon back, giving her a sympathetic look.

Peril exhaled, but smiled a bit. She seemed happy that Clay and Phoenix showed an emotion that was not fear towards her. "Thank you... but... if you both want to know everything," she gazed at Clay, then to Phoenix. "I burned my twin in our egg. I sucked the fire out of him then burned him to a crisp." her wings drooped, a bit too close to Phoenix, but the male Skywing didn't say anything. "I was born into a killer before I even hatched."

Phoenix sat up, scooting closer to Peril until he felt the heat radiating from her. "You're probably just misunderstood, Peril. Maybe you weren't born a killer at all." Peril eyed him with caution, but that caution was to herself. "How would you know? You probably have not killed anyone before or after you hatched!" "You hadn't hatched yet when your twin died, right?" Peril opened her mouth to say something, but closed it and nodded. "So you could not have known that your twin was killed by you, in which makes your condition misunderstood by the other Skywings and therefore they fear it. Everyone fears the unknown, and what they don't understand they deem dangerous."

Peril took in what he said, watching Phoenix for any dishonesty. To her surprise the male was being completely honest. "But Clay and I don't see you as dangerous, but rather broken. We don't fear you, but only the condition. I know you truly didn't mean to burn your twin." The fire Skywing scooted away from him, glancing down at the arena. "But... I do intend to burn the opponents in the arena..." "Because you're doing what you think is right. It's been engraved into your mind since you began doing this." Phoenix then pointed at Peril's heart. "But I know that in there, you can change. Not for the world, or the tribes, not even for Scarlet, but for you."

Peril thought of it for a moment, looking up at the stars. Maybe she could change for herself? She shook her head, making the thoughts of change go away. "No... I can't change. I have accepted myself for who I am, and I like who I am." she stood up, looking at both males. "You two should find who you are, and accept it." Phoenix sighed, but didn't object to her decision. "It's ok. You can take your time to find who you truly are, not who everyone else says you are." Peril stiffled a growl. "Dammit, blue Skywing! Why are you so nice to me after all I have told you!! I'm a killer! I can't change!! Right?" she thought, turning away from Phoenix. "I-I should leave."

Clay then immediately perked up. "Wait, Peril! Tell Scarlet to not make Starflight fight in the arena tomorrow! He isn't ready!" he pleaded, watching Peril now airborne. "I'll try, but I cannot promise it. Her majesty seems pretty excited to see him fight in the arena." Clay huffed, flopping back onto the surface of the pillar. "Tell her to send me instead." Phoenix puffed a cloud of smoke, sending a glare at him. "Clay, no! Tell her to send me in!" The flaming sky dragon eyed them confused, but furrowed her brows with a thought. "You wouldn't kill yourselves in the arena, right? The way Horizon did?" Clay shrugged, while Phoenix shook his head. "I don't think so." "Not a chance."

Peril sighed, gliding downwards. "Oh good! I would rather kill either of you fair and square! Good night!" Clay waved at her, getting a warm feeling in his chest. He wasn't sure if it was the burnt pigeon or the nervousness of the fight. "We should sleep... Good night, Phoenix." Clay laid down, closing his eyes to sleep. "Good night, Clay..." Phoenix mumbled, staring at the starry night sky for a moment. The conversation with Peril felt familiar to him, but he could not recall just what it was. "I should sleep. Maybe I'll be able to remember where I had that conversation from, if I even had one..."