PT III: An egg the Color of Dragon Blood|Ch.19: To The Delta

Right now the dragonets were on their way to the Diamond Spray Delta to find Clay's parents. Phoenix was carrying Gill, which was difficult as it was a full grown dragon he was carrying. Clay lightly bumped Phoenix, catching his attention. "Sorry we didn't find your parents, Phoenix." he apologized, but the blue Skywing just chuckled. "It's ok, Clay. Don't worry about it." The Mudwing huffed, still feeling bad for not finding Phoenix's parents. "But the whole purpose for us to leave the mountain, other than to meet the Sandwing princesses, was to find our parents!" "Yeah, but if we bothered to look for mine we would've left the Sky Kingdom with less than half of us alive!"

Clay winced, almost stopping his walk. "I... you're right, but still... I'm sorry." The Mudwing put a wing over Phoenix as a hug. Glory looked up for any Skywing guard looking for them. Tyto gave her a reassuring look, but Glory, still not trusting him fully, just gave him a blank expression while her scales turned red. The Skywing then quickly skidded away from her, not wanting to get a face full of extremely corrosive venom. "The Skywings won't spot us from above, but what about the rest of you?" Glory asked, then Tsunami glanced at the mud. "Camouflage."

Sunny then began to roll in a pile of mud, covering her golden scales in an earthy color. "I feel all goopy!" "You just look like the mud, though." Clay said through a smile, flicking a blob of mud off of the small Sandwing's snout. "Yeah! That means she looks like a Mudwing!" Permafrost rolled on the mud, his white patches being painted brown.

They kept on walking, with Glory suddenly becoming invisible. Tsunami stared at where the invisible Rainwing was. "I know you're there, but I can't even see you!" Glory laughed, her head reappearing. "Ha! Swim underneath me and they won't be able to see you." In the meantime Clay went into the river when Sunny and Permafrost hopped on his back, while Phoenix dragged a now sleeping Gill into the river, following the Mudwing.

They kept moving, now swimming through the river, following the current. After a moment, Tsunami poked her head out of the water, looking up at the brother Skywings. Plummet looked down at the Seawing, shaking his head while pointing up at the sky. "There's no one following us." he said, turning to the shore to land with Tyto. The rest of the dragonets resurfaced, resting on the sandy surface. Clay then turned to run off after Sunny and Permafrost got off, a smile on his face.

He later returned to the dragonets, dropping a pig. "I caught us a pig!" he exclaimed as Sunny returned with some carrots. Permafrost bounced around happily. "Sunny caught us some awesome carrots!" Tsunami snorted, pulling out some fish from the river. "Are there dragons who eat those on purpose?" she asked, handing a fish to Gill. The green Seawing hesitated, eyeing the dragonets with suspicion. Tsunami grabbed her fish and took a bite from it as if to show Gill that it was not poisoned and perfectly safe to eat. The male sea dragon then, slowly took a bite from his fish.

Phoenix sat next to the Seawing, sighing in relief as he ate. "Good thing we can keep Gill fed without any trouble." the Skywing then scooped up some more water and splashed it onto Gill's gills, making the pea green sea dragon relax. He looked up at the blue Skywing with confusion, swallowing the last of his fish. Phoenix ate a piece of the pig which Clay offered to him, enjoying it while they rested. It was later that they kept moving so as to not allow those loyal Skywing guards to find them, and for Tyto and Plummet to not be punished for it.

Sitting on Clay's back Sunny sighed sadly, hugging Permafrost closely. "I miss Starflight.." she mumbled, dipping a talon in the river. "We miss him, too. But I'm sure he'll be back, right?" Permafrost tried to cheer the Sandwing, which sort of worked. The dragonets then arrived just outside the Diamond Spray Delta, leaving the water. Sunny was the first to arrive at the edge, but she gasped as she instantly covered Permafrost's eyes with a wing. "Oh no."

Down at the valley, near the river where the water was flowing in, were many dead dragons. All of them were Icewings and Mudwings, and surrounding them were near fresh flames. Tsunami put her talons on the IceMudwing's eyes, shielding him from such a sight. "Tsunami! Wh-" "It's best if you don't look at what we're seeing, Perma." she kindly muttered to him. Glory scanned the battlefield, wrinkling her snout at the smell of blood. "This battle must have happened recently. Some of the flames are still burning." Tsunami turned to the Rainwing, her tail curling. "Who do you think won?" "Nobody!" Sunny exclaimed, still scared by the scene. "Who would look at this and think 'we won.'?!"

Clay exhaled, looking up at the horizon to where the Mud Kingdom was. "We're on the edge of the Mud Kingdom now. I have to go alone." Sunny whipped her head to him with a concerned gaze. "But you can't go in alone!!" "The Mudwings won't trust all ten of us together." Glory nodded in agreement, gazing at the other dragonets. "It's true. Tsunami and Gill are Seawings, and Seawings are on Blister's side. Phoenix could get mistaken for a Seawing from afar thanks to his blue scales. Permafrost is half Icewing, and we know that Icewings are on Blaze's side. I'm not sure about the other two Skywings, and who knows what the Mudwings would think of Sunny."

Clay exhaled, his tail tip twitching. "If I don't come back by sunrise, come looking for me." Plummet and Tyto stepped toward the Mudwing. "We'll go with you. We can just say that we're visiting the kingdom or something." Clay was about to protest, but held back and shot them a thankful nod. "I'll come with you too, Clay." Phoenix said, prompting the mud dragon to look at him. "Phoenix-" he paused, seeing the Skywing painted red.

"I used some mud and mushed red plants to create paint to disguise myself as a legit Skywing." The Mudwing was impressed as he looked at Phoenix. The Skywing was covered head to toe in red paint, covering his blue scales. His blue eyes were the only 'anomaly' in the disguise, but no one really focuses on the eyes.

"Huh. Nice thinking!" Clay complimented, turning to Permafrost worriedly. "What about him? He could be attacked if the Mudwings see his white scales and realize he's part Icewing." Tyto then tapped the mud dragon's shoulder. "We could just say he's got vitiligo, then his Icewing heritage should be safe." "That's a great idea!! Thank you!" Clay grinned at the Skywing, preparing to go to the Mud Kingdom when Glory stopped him. "I'll come with you guys, too. They won't care that I'm a Rainwing since they're not in the war." She then took a step back, unfolding her wings as she did. "But I can also do this." Glory's scales then shifted to different shades of brown, making her seem like a Mudwing.

Clay hummed, smiling at the Rainwing. "You're still too pretty to be a Mudwing." Sunny piped in, agreeing. "Definitely!" "Nonsense. You're just as pretty as Glory, Clay." Tsunami said. "I... don't know how to take that." Clay muttered, staring at the Seawing. "We'll wait by the river, just be safe." "Can we please just get going? This paint is starting to itch on my scales." Phoenix grumbled, scratching at a spot on his neck. Clay huffed, holding back his laugh. "Okay, let's go."