BK 1 Prologue I: The Skywing egg

An ice dragon was trying to hide in the raging storm, the lightning flickering and roaring in the form of thunder. The dark clouds were being slightly lit by the surrounding lightning before going dark again, and just below them came out the ice dragon.

The dragon, Hvitur, had recently taken a Skywing egg and was now on his way back to the mountain. Unbeknownst to him, his presence caught the attention of a certain desert dragon.

In nearly an instant Hvitur was being chased by two Sandwing guards, who were sent by their Sandwing princess, Burn. They hastily flew at his sides, closing in to prevent him from escaping, then the sand dragons took the ice dragon down. Hvitur landed on the rocky ground with a thud, but before he fully landed he wrapped the egg to prevent it from breaking, although it slid out of his grasp. Burn swooped down to the now downed Icewing, landing with a thud just in front of him.

"Bind his mouth!!" the large Sandwing ordered as the ice dragon inhaled, preparing to attack

"Bind his mouth!!" the large Sandwing ordered as the ice dragon inhaled, preparing to attack. "Quickly!" A Sandwing soldier immediately grabbed a red hot chain from the hot coals in the bucket and wrapped it tightly around Hvitur's snout, preventing him from using his ice blast. Princess Burn watched as the ice dragon let out a yell of pain, the stench of burning scales filling the humid air. "Too late!" said the soldier, watching as the ice dragon's icy breath died down. "You won't be using your freezing-death breath on us, ice dragon!"

One of the guards approached Burn with an egg in his talons, catching her attention. "We found him with this, Queen Burn!" he stated, making the royal female huff in interest. Grabbing the red egg, Burn inspected it as Hvitur watched with fear. "This is not an Icewing egg," she hissed, squinting through the downpour of the rain. "You stole this from the Skywing palace."

The Icewing could only watch as the battle scarred Sandwing held the egg, all while the hot chains released steam where they met cold silver scales. "You thought you had gotten away unnoticed, didn't you?" Burn said, "My Skywing ally is no fool, for Queen Scarlet knows everything that happens in her kingdom. Her lookouts reported an Icewing thief sneaking away, and I decided that finding you might add some violence to my boring visit."

Burn held the large egg up upon the light of the fire, turning it slowly to reveal the details of red and gold that shimmered below the smooth, pale surface. "Hm.... yes, this is a Skywing egg, and it's about to hatch... but why would my sister send you to steal a Skywing dragonet? Blaze hates anyone who is younger and prettier than herself... unless..." She thought for a moment, before the realization hit her as she widened her eyes and bared her teeth. "The brightest night is tomorrow."

Pointing her stinger at Hvitur, Burn roared out in anger which made the Icewing flinch. "YOU'RE NOT FROM BLAZE'S ARMY ARE YOU?! YOU'RE ONE OF THOSE INSIPID UNDERGROUND PEACEMONGERS!!" The female soldier widened her eyes, processing what Burn just said. "The Talons of Peace?! You... you mean they're real?" Burn huffed, glaring down at the egg. "A few worms crying over a little blood."