Ch. 5: The Test

That was all it took for the dragonets to spring into action and attack Morrowseer. Clay hopped onto the dragon's back while Tsunami and Phoenix attacked him at the front. Tsunami swiped at his chest, leaving shallow wounds as the Nightwing's skin was too thick. Phoenix inhaled, signaling that he was about to use his fire breath. He then exhaled a burst of blue flames, completely missing Morrowseer's neck as he moved back. Clay bit down on the large dragon's neck, but that caused an inexplicable throbbing pain to explode on his jaw due to the Nightwing's very hard scales.

The Mudwing was then thrown off by the Nightwing, who received an icy blast to his face. Permafrost ran under the dragon and swiped at his belly, leaving only barely visible scratches. "Take that!" he yelled before firing another ice blast at Morrowseer, who broke the ice off since it wasn't very cold. Phoenix flapped his wings to be airborne, and as he was in midair he spun and slapped Morrowseer with his tail as he did to him.

Clay crouched down tiredly, watching the large dragon with careful eyes. "We need a plan!" he thought, rolling to his right as Morrowseer swiped at him. He then slammed his body into the Nightwing's side in hopes to disturb his balance. "But Nightwings can read minds! He will know any plan I make." Clay then exhaled a fire blast at the old dragon, making sure to not hit Tsunami as she dug her claws into the night dragon's torso.

"Unless I think about cows!" Clay slashed Morrowseer's face, giving Phoenix a chance to knock him aside to stun him. "Cows! Cows!" the Mudwing began to think of cows, which threw Starflight off but regardless stayed on the sidelines with Glory and the guardians.

Morrowseer then yelped in pain, raising his tail only to see Sunny hanging by her mouth off it. She was nomming on the tail, which only amused the Nightwing. "Hah, that's a surprise." Clay grinned as he stood up straight, rubbing his jaw. "I told you she's a good fighter!" he then turned to the guardians, his expression switching to a puzzled one. "Why didn't they help us?"

Clay got into position next to Tsunami, both prepared to attack again. Phoenix stood next to Sunny, ushering Permafrost to go with Glory. Morrowseer inspected each of them, then deciding their fate. "These two will do," he said pointing at Clay and Tsunami who glared at him. He then turned to Phoenix and Sunny, "The Sandwing... We'll see... and the Skywing is acceptable despite his... rather unnatural color and nature."

Dune then huffed, turning to Sunny. "We followed the prophecy. I found her egg hidden alone in the desert." Morrowseer ignored the scarred Sandwing and turned to Starflight, who sneered at the old dragon. "I assume you used your Nightwing powers to see that I wasn't going to harm the Seawing or the Skywing." Phoenix scoffed, rubbing his face where Morrowseer's tail hit. The old dragon then continued, "And I assume you even had a vision of my visit today. No doubt that you also know that I will take you into the next cave for a private conversation." he then turned to Glory and Permafrost, his gaze darkening at them. "As for the Rainwing and the little halfbreed..." his voice then came out laced with venom. "We'll talk about them later..."

Then the large Nightwing led Starflight into the cave, casting one last look at Glory and Permafrost before entering the cave. Kestrel snarled at Tsunami. "You just had to open your mouth." she snarled, causing the Seawing to scoff at her. "I was only telling him the truth!" Kestrel huffed in annoyance. "Why can't you be grateful for what you have?!" She then turned to Phoenix. "And you! I expected more from you, but this is how you behave?!" The blue Skywing rolled his eyes, much to Kestrel's annoyance. "Yes this is how I behave if you can't admit that what you're doing is wrong! The reason we are not appreciating what we have is because you kept us under this hellhole without even a damn glimpse of the outside!! How the hell are we supposed to save the world if we have not seen it?!"

Kestrel hissed, her tail lashing. "Watch your tongue, young man. I expect you to behave like a Skywing should, not like... whatever little imaginary creature pops up in your head. You're not one year old anymore, so stop imagining your little ravine creature that you came up with." she turned to face the rest of the dragonets. "Today was horrendous, so congratulations on being the worst dragonets of destiny."

Clay turned to Glory, whose scales shifted from the purple-blue and gold pattern to a sky blue color. "Glory why didn't you help? Then the guardians would have seen just how amazing you are!" The Rainwing shook her head. "It was obviously a test." "It was?" Clay was confused, but didn't show it. "Yep. And I failed that test the night I hatched as a Rainwing."

Phoenix looked at her, noticing that she was upset. "Who cares what the guardians think? You are still our friend, Glory." The Rainwing stood up, making her way to the dragonet sleeping cave. "That's sweet of you, but I'm gonna take a nap." Clay hummed with confusion. "A nap? Why?" "They all think I'm lazy anyway. Can't change that." Glory entered the cave, not looking back. "Wake me up if something exciting happens." She then poked her head out with an unamused expression. "But make sure it's actually exciting, not Sunny exciting." with that she headed back inside the cave to rest, leaving the other dragonets in the main cave.

Sunny pouted, glaring at the sleeping cave where Glory went. "I don't think everything is exciting! You guys just don't think enough things are exciting." In an instant Morrowseer came out of the cave, then Starflight exited the room. He wore a blank expression. Clay sprang up and went up to him. "Starflight! What happened?" the Nightwing sighed, going over to the scrolls. "I'm not supposed to talk about it." He sharply stated as he picked up a scroll to read, and Clay recognized it. "His favorite scroll... he really is upset."

Clay sat down next to his friend. "What did he tell you? Did he tell you of how important you are for being a Nightwing?" the Mudwing asked, which the night dragon huffed as he responded with a bit of what Morrowseer told him. "He said exactly that." Clay hummed, then he looked over to where Glory had gone before turning back to Starflight. "What would you think of us escaping?" Starflight shook his head, not looking away from the scroll. "We have to fulfill the prophecy, Clay. It's what they're preparing us to do." Starflight exhaled, wanting Clay to let him study.

The mud dragon then asked another question. "What did he tell you?" Starflight looked at him for a moment then back at the scroll. "He didn't say much, and his thoughts were too dark to read... but he did say "I'll take care of the Rainwing and the halfbreed"." Clay felt uneasy about that. "What does that mean?" the Nightwing shrugged, looking uneasy about it. "I'm not...." he glanced out to the entrance, making sure Morrowseer wasn't close by. "You know what, forget it, he wants Glory and Permafrost dead." Starflight admitted, his concern rising since Permafrost's life was at risk as well. Clay froze at the answer, he heard yelling from the main cave.

"No stop! You don't have to do this!"