Ch.14: The Trial

It was the next morning, and Clay stared down at the arena below. There was Scarlet and a few other Skywings he didn't recognize, but he was sure that they weren't as nice as Peril. He turned to Phoenix who was also looking down at the arena. "Psst! Phoenix!" The Skywing turned to Clay, humming as he did. "What do you think is going on down there?" "Not sure, but it looks like some sort of trial..."

Wingbeats were heard, and looking over his shoulder Clay saw it was Peril. "Quickly! Spread your wings!! I don't want anyone to see me!!" "Wha- what? Hold on, why?" Peril crawled under Clay's wing, being sure to not be seen. "They're having a trial right now, and queen Scarlet said I was not allowed to watch. I never go to trials! They're too boring, so why would she forbid me to come?" she grumbled, curling herself in. "Something is going on, and I wanna see exactly what it is." Peril then gazed at Clay, staring at his eyes. "Remember, you owe me. I brought you the mud." "It's ok, Peril. I would help you anyways."

Peril gestured to the castle entrance where Scarlet sat at. "I found your Sandwing and hybrid, by the way." The Mudwing almost perked up at hearing this, worried for what is happening to his friends. "Sunny! Permafrost! Where are they?!" "I'll tell you if you hide me, but if you turn me in I will not tell you." Clay huffed. "Peril I said I would- oh alright, but won't someone be looking for you?" The Skywing shook her head, scanning the dragons below. "Nope. I'm supposed to be looking for black rocks down at the caves."

"Why does queen Scarlet even bother with trials?" Clay wondered out loud, keeping his wing off of the Skywing. "She loves the drama that comes from them." "Shh! They're starting!" Phoenix whisper-yelled at the two, keeping his attention down at the trial.

Down on the platform's base stood the guards Tyto and Plummet, they both glanced at Phoenix with their eyes only, then they glanced at eachother once the blue Skywing nodded. It seemed as if they were communicating with Phoenix and eachother through their eyes, but one could not be completely sure. Up on the platform, at Scarlet's sides, stood two other Skywings. One was young and his scales were a deep red colored Skywing, while the other one seemed older and his scales were a lighter red. The older Skywing was missing his wings.

"That's Vermillion, queen Scarlet's oldest son. He always argues for the prosecution." Peril explained, pointing at the deep red Skywing. Being so high up, they couldn't hear much of what the prince and queen had said, but they guessed of what they had said. "You look particularly deadly today, your majesty." "Yes, yes. I know I do." Peril then pointed at the wingless Skywing. "The old one is Osprey. He lost his wings in the war. He's my friend, but he talks like a scroll." "Heh, so does my friend Starflight." Clay chuffed.

Scarlet grinned, flicking her tail at the guards. "Where's our defendant? Someone fetch her!" she ordered, and in an instant the two brothers brought out Kestrel. She struggled against the chains, but they and the guards were too strong, and her muzzle was closed shut.

Clay perked up, recognizing the Skywing. "KESTREL!!" Peril turned to him in surprise and confusion. "You know her?" The Mudwing nodded, his ears pressing against his head. "She's one of the guardians that had raised us. They didn't like us very much, but they kept us alive... I guess even terrible parents are better than no parents."

"Loyal subjects! This dragon here, Kestrel, stands accused of highest treason- disobeying me!" Scarlet announced, glaring down at the chained Skywing. Vermillion huffed, keeping his head high. "Your majesty, the facts are clear. You gave a clear order, and Kestrel disobeyed. She deserves a long and painful execution." Scarlet nodded in approval. "Very compelling. Well said. Sounds guilty to me."

On the pillar, Phoenix scoffed at this. It was obvious that Scarlet wanted to have Kestrel killed, one way or another. She was indeed a sadist.

"Your majesty, I do have a few words to say in the prisoner's defense." Osprey said, making Scarlet growl. "If you must..." she hissed, then Osprey continued. "You ordered Kestrel to destroy her egg, a single egg. Inside it were two dragonets. One had no fire at all, but the other one..." then he finished with the words that caught Peril, Clay, and Phoenix off guard. "...had too much."