17 : TRISTAN

There was a pin drop silence in the living room, no one dared to ask or say anything, Eve was still clinging to my side sitting on my lap, while Bella just kept on staring at Ethan, with too many emotions flashing on her face, and the prominent one seemed to be fear mixed with guilt.

There are so many speculations that could be made out of this situation, so many assumptions that could actually strain the mother and son relationship, not wanting to dwell on the said assumptions, I clear my throat getting everyones attention, but that lasted only a minute,

Evelyn who was on my lap was out on the floor within seconds and punched her brother square on his jaw causing him to stumble backwards and making me and Bella gasp in horror, I sprang out of my seat and held on to Eve lifting her up before she could knock her brother for whatever the reason it is.

Bella who seemed to have regained her senses grabs Ethan pushing him behind, her eyes narrowing at Evelyn fuming at our daughter,

Evelyn Elizabeth Spencer, why the hell did you hit your brother. She cursed even without realizing while my daughter hides her face in the crook of my neck avoiding her mothers question, when I knew Bella wasnt going to calm down, I nudge Evelyn to answer her.

He, knew but did not tell me. Evelyns bottom lip wobbled like she was about to cry, Bellas gaze softened and turned towards our little man who was supposed to answer that question.

I didnt know it until two weeks. Ethan answered frantically as if he were in trouble.

Ok, then how did you find out two weeks back? Bella asks him taking her seat back and holding Ethan by his arms in front of her.

Eve asked me to get her old Barbies from the store room. I said her that you would scold us if we go in there, but she blackmailed me saying I dont love her. Thats why I went there. He said it all in a go, but still did not answer our question about him finding out about me being their father. Bella glared at our daughter and was seconds away from ripping her off my arms and giving her an earful, trying to distract her I ask Ethan about the main question that will get us back to the point.

Ok, but Ethan, that does not explain about how you found out about me.

I saw your and moms pictures there in a box. His voice a mere whisper as though he was letting out a secret.

Then why didnt you ask your mom about the pictures? I questioned him, wanting to know his reason, keeping aside the warmth that spread after knowing that our pictures were still intact in some corner of the house, instead of being burnt.

I was scared. He whimpered.

Oh, baby you should never be scared of momma, I will never ever scold you for a reason that is not your fault. She gives him a bear hug rubbing his back gently while he sniffs in the crook of her neck.

OK, now that is done, let me tell you two, specially you Evelyn, you are not supposed to enter the store room when no one is around, got it?

YES They reply in unison.

So, daddy is going to stay with us from now on right momma? Eve asks her mother still sitting comfortably in my arms, as her eyes move from her moms to mine seeking answer for the question.

About that. Bella starts of hesitantly, mostly thinking of the best excuse she could come up with.

I will baby its a promise. I say it with as much sincerity as I could muster up. I wanted them to believe me, and what I said is the truth until they fully believe me, I am not going anywhere and if I have to leave than it would be all of us going back to US.

Really,, hurayy. Thank you so much daddy. I was rewarded with huge kisses from my daughter on either side of my cheeks, Ethan had a huge smile on his face while Bella looked furious for whatever the reason it is, but for now instead of pondering over the reason I just take in the moment of my kids joy at the news of me staying back.

Then will you be dropping me and Ethan to the school once it starts? My daughter questions her eyes filled with hope and her teeth gnawing her lower lip in anticipation for my answer.

Of-course baby, I will be doing whatever you want me to do.

Really, than are you going to get me ice-creams everyday? She juts her lower lip out and blinks her lashes, which was damn cute but before I could answer her with an yes we were interrupted by the silent spectator aka Bella.

Nope, that is not going to happen, and now can you and Ethan go out and play for a while, I have something to discuss with your dad. She says, her tone clearly stating not to argue on this, when I feel Eve trying to speak up, I nudge her slowly and blink my eyes asking her not to speak and listen to her mom, the gesture which she surprisingly understood, and moves out with Ethan behind her, leaving me to deal with their mothers wrath whose gaze was spitting fire for whatever the reason it is, I tried thinking if I did or said something wrong or things that would offend her but couldnt think of anything since I did not speak much.

So.. that went better than expected, dont you think so? I question her clearing my throat, to break the tension that was building up around us, I couldnt think of anything else to start of the conversation and Bella seemed to be in the mood of glaring competition.

Better, what do you mean by better, all you did was give them false hope, which they will be hanging on to with every ounce not knowing how you would probably ditch them in the middle of anything. She whisper shouts the entire thing with a furious look on her face leaving me speechless by her sudden outburst but even before I could process and come up with something she continues but this time with a bit calmer demeanor, followed by the words that were way too sharp.

Listen, I want you to stop whatever mind games you are trying to play here, I know you can not skip back on work and you will be heading back in no time, so please refrain yourself from giving out promises that you sure are not going to keep up. Everything she said was like a punch to the gut whooshing out the air. I knew I did her wrong but I never really expected for her trust issues to get this worse, that she doesnt seem to see whats genuine and what is not, and the worst is I cannot even lose my calm over whatever she says because, one, that would only make things even more difficult between us and two, I have no right to yell or ask her to trust me since I was the one who broke it. But the only thing that would make things better would be my continuous reassurance and earning her trust through actions. Which will not be easy but nothing is impossible and I am really up for a good challenge and right now the biggest challenge of my life is to win my wife back. Tristan never loses.