5 : ISABELLE

Mr. Albert opened the door, once we arrived at the venue. I stepped out as elegantly as possible, but was startled by numerous flashes blinding me. It took me a second to regain my composure. Once I did, I marched forward with my head held high and shoulders straightened, my composure oozing confidence.

What confused me was the media gathering. As per my knowledge, they were not invited even though they are not practically inside. Still they were blocking the venue entrance, which was ridiculous. Maybe they might have caught a whiff of someone important arriving.

Stating my arrival at the entrance, I moved inside a large luxurious hall which was decorated in a white and blue theme with a huge chandelier hanging down the centre of the hall. Everything inside screamed elegancy and money. I greeted people as I moved forward to find a table with my name plate on it.

Izzy, I heard a familiar voice calling out my name. Turning towards the voice, I spotted Carlo, one of my good friends, waving at me. Smiling and waving back, I moved towards him only to notice that we were sharing a table for the night. Thank God I do not have to share it with some creepy business men or cringy ladies.

"Hi Carlo", I greeted him with a hug, which he returned with the same respect and affection. Like a perfect gentleman he pulled out a chair for me to sit on.

Sending him a soft smile, I sat down. Carlo took up his own seat beside me and sipped the refreshment that was placed on the table.

"So, how is everything going on", I started the conversation to ease the silence between us.

"Well, it's the usual routine, nothing much. You tell me how are the kids doing, do they miss me"?. He asked, Carlo is my kids favourite uncle. He spoils them with his gifts and what not.

"They are good, they do miss you, its time that you stop by this week".

Carlo is a handsome 30-year-old man. He owns his own steel manufacturing company that exports across various continents.

"Sure, its just I have been busy with a few deals lately, but Ill make it up to them".

"Make sure your idea of making up doesnt involve anything extravagant".

Stating it in a no more argument tone, I glanced around, noticing the auction items being set up. What caught my attention was a very beautiful makeshift playhouse giving a warm feeling. From the way they had set it up and the outlook of it, I was sure it was designed by some professional architect who loved kids. I made a mental note to bid for that, my kids would love it.

"That's a beautiful piece. I am sure they would love it". Carlo stated the obvious, following my line of sight.

My thoughts were interrupted by mumblings around me. Turning around, I notice people whispering with their heads facing towards one particular direction, well, a particular someone.

Following their eyesight, I saw a well built-up man at the other end of the hall with his back turned towards us, sweat beads trickled down my nape with knots forming in my belly. I started feeling uneasy. Something about the familiarity didnt sit well with me. Shrugging at the negative thoughts, I turned towards Carlo, who was about to move somewhere.

"Give me a minute, Ill be back". He said before leaving me alone at the table.

I took a sip from the glass placed on the table, calming my nerves. Its like I am anxious about nothing in particular. Taking a deep breath, I started looking at other auction items that were already placed and ready to be sold.

I was so lost looking at each item that I did not realize Carlo was calling out my name, until he tapped me on my shoulder.

"Izzy, where are you lost? OK leave it. Come on, I want you to meet one of my best friends from high school". Carlo said and literally dragged me off of the table.

As we moved forward, I noticed that we were heading towards the man I had been staring at a while ago. Again the same disturbing feeling started to invade my stomach, shaking my head and not to look like a fool I regained myself when we stood just behind the mans chair.

"Dude", Carlo called out to the man, who stood up as soon as he heard him, but once he turned around, I couldnt breathe. I felt my body go numb, all the flashes from the past started to reappear before my eyes, it was like the world around me had stopped. No way, this couldnt be happening now, not after all the efforts I have made to be this strong. I cant let him crumble it just when I have gained things. I just couldnt, out of all the places on the earth, why was he here? He has already ruined me enough, no matter what or why he is here, I shouldnt let his presence affect me.

It's even like he was in a daze, a moment of shock, happiness, sadness, and guilt passed through his eyes.

"Izzy", I was brought back to the world when Carlo shook me again. Blinking away, I focused my attention back on Carlo.

"What's wrong. Why are you zoning out again". Nodding my head in a negative way, I regained my composure and tried putting up a professional upfront.

"So, Tristan, this is Izzy, sorry Isabelle Spencer, my good friend, and Izzy, this is Tristan Knight, the hotshot billionaire from America. And the reason behind the media chaos thats happening outside".

Carlo introduced us. He had no idea what or whom he was introducing, only if he knew.