7 : ISABELLE

It was quarter past 11, next two hours and we would be done with this gala. Of course, not without the dance. I sighed with an eyeroll, my feet were killing me because of the heels, its not that I am not used to it. But the pain in your toes can be a bitch. Sipping on my drink, I thought about the events that took place today, first the gala, then meeting my ex-husband, and now his one million dollar playhouse.

He is insane to spend so much on a fucking playhouse. OK, I know I am being a hypocrite, after bidding almost the same amount, but I had a reason, which was my kids.

What about him? All of a sudden, there was a painful tug in my gut, and the thought made me sick. What if he was doing the same thing? Is he married? Does he have children with another woman? Or why else would he have bid so much for a plaything? It is not like he would be playing with it. All these thoughts had me hyperventilating, and suddenly there were sweat beads forming on my temple. It did not take a genius to know what I was experiencing, but this was not the time for this shit. I looked up and noticed that everyone was indulged in their own world.

Taking that as an opportunity, I slipped out of the crowded hall and towards the empty hallway which led to a restroom. By the time I got inside the rest room I was a shivering mess. I leaned over the sink with the support of my hands and took a deep breath. Lifting my head up I stared back at the reflection, only to have my eyes welling up with big fat tears, thus, fogging my vision. The thoughts of Tristan being married did not sit well with me. For Gods sake, I was raising two beautiful children he had given me. What if his marriage with someone else was the reason for our breakup? Just the thought made me feel queasy increasing the need to throw up. The pain in my chest intensified along with tightening. This was not how I had expected my night to end. Anxiety attack was the last thing I had expected to happen tonight. But here I am gasping for the damn oxygen, with an increased heart rate. I thought I was past this stage a long time back, but it looks like the presence of Tristan had triggered all the hidden emotions. Eyes full of tears blurring my vision and a mouth agape, trying to gasp as much air as possible, I missed the sound of someone calling out my name and the door being clicked close. Within seconds, I was embraced by a very familiar scent that I could recognize even in my sleep. He caressed my back gently, whispering soothing words and pecking my temple occasionally to calm me down.

"Bella, baby, look at me". He said with his voice filled with concern. I raised my head still in his embrace to stare back at his worry-filled eyes.

"Take a deep breath, Bella". He instructed me to inhale and exhale along with him, which I followed with no complaints.

"Now look around and follow all the grounding instructions. OK"? He asked, followed by asking me to recognize 5 things that I could see, 4 things I could feel, 3 things that could be heard, 2 things that I could smell and 1 thing that I could taste. Once done with the instructions, I heard my sobs turning out into soft whimpers before I calmed down in his embrace hiccupping lightly. We stayed in the position for a few more minutes, which felt like hours. Once realization dawned, I pushed myself back from his embrace and turned towards the sink without meeting his eyes. Bending down, I splashed water on my face to get rid of the tear stains, not caring that my appearance for the night was ruined. Once done, I took the paper towel and dabbed my face dry. Looking back in the mirror, I saw Tristan staring right back at me through the mirror with his gaze piercing into my soul. His face was entirely masked with concern and numerous questions floating in his eyes, which I was not ready for. I put on my lipstick and mascara, making sure not to look like a ghost with sunburn due to the redness on my face. Turning around, I fidgeted with my fingers, not knowing how to start the conversation. I had not expected him to see me in my weak state while I was bawling my eyes out when I had put on a strong upfront back in the hall. Sighing, I took a deep breath, exhaling through my lips, I looked up to get this conversation done so that I could get out of this suffocating situation.

"Thank You", I blurted out those two words and turned towards the door to make an exit. Only to be pulled back into a rock-hard chest.

"Not so soon Bella, and definitely not before you answer my question about the way you behaved just minutes ago". He ordered with an edge in his voice. Now this lit the rage in my chest, he had no fucking right to know what was going on in my life, when he was the reason for this broken and miserable state of mine, even after everything he had done, he got the audacity to question me, as if he had a claim on my life which he tampered long back. I had a ton load of shit to spew at him but I was better than that and I learned that Ignorance is bliss. Glaring at him with furry in my eyes. I moved out of his steel-like grip and stared right back into his eyes.

"Once again, thank you for being here and helping me out, Mr. Knight, but I think your invading my privacy by asking me personal questions, just because you confronted me in my weak state, doesnt mean that I would be opening up to a total stranger". When I was sure that I had made him speechless,, I moved towards the door, still feeling his burning gaze drilling holes behind my back, ignoring the gaze I closed the door behind me and leaned over it taking a deep breath. Once I was done composing myself, I put on a huge smile and marched forward, only to be stopped by the ringing of my mobile phone. Seeing the number on screen had me panicking, since it was an odd time, I picked it up without a second thought,

"Hello". I was greeted by my baby boy who sounded really sleepy.

"Ethan, baby is everything OK?"

"You had me panicking, my love. Now don't worry, go back to bed. I'll be there when you wake up in the morning."

"OK,OK, I love you too baby." Pressing on the end button, I marched towards the hall now with a genuine smile on my face, as if I had not had a damn breakdown just minutes ago. Feeling confident feels good and I absolutely love the feeling, while being weak sucks, you will be squashed below everyone if your naïve in the present world. Whether its in business or your personal life.

All I can think right now are my kids, who will probably be sleeping by the time I go back. I just cant wait to get done with this dance and make a move towards my home. It might be disrespectful to leave the event in the middle and that goes against my professional ethics. Sighing and preparing myself to get done with this, I moved towards Carlo, who was having a conversation with two ladies and a man. I could not help but chuckle as he checked out the blonde before him not so discreetly.