Rest

"On the eastern walls." As soon as the words left the soldier's mouth, Rokan jumped off his horse and raced to the wall. He ran up the stairs and froze upon seeing a body lying on the floor. Blood was all over her face. Some was dripping from her barely parted lips and some was running down her nose.

He rushed to her side and took her in his arms. He pressed his finger to her neck searching for a pulse. When he finally felt it, he gathered her in his arms and went down yelling frantically for a healer.

She felt her skin tingling with warmth. It was too bright for her eyes, she groaned and moved around in the sheets. She started hearing muffled voices around her and the breeze ruffling the window curtains. She moved again and tried opening her eyes. She blinked a few times till she was used to the bright light and then looked around.

She didn't recognize the room. She was facing a dark blue ceiling, her room was painted in a light shade of green. She looked at the sheets and again they were of a dark color. She moved her head to the side and saw navy blue curtains. Confused by her surroundings, she pushed her upper body up and supported herself with her arms. She felt weak, her muscles ached and her head was dizzy.

"Miss! You are awake!" Helena's face came into focus, and the woman smiled at her. As she blinked to adjust her vision, another face suddenly appeared in front of her.

"Sir Duman please check on her while I go inform his Highness." Helena was beaming with joy as she ran out of the room.

"My lady, you should lay down." He instructed as he reached out for her forehead. Evanora was taken back by the man facing her, a pair of sharp yellow eyes and fair skin. Duman has taken off his mask, She expected to find an old man behind the wise composure of the wizard but he appeared rather young.

"What happened ?" She asked, trying not to stare.

"You are still in the aftershock and your body is weak. You need to rest, you consumed way too much of your energy. You lost a lot of blood."

She slowly lowered herself back to the sheets feeling exhausted from just sitting up. He must be right, I overused my powers and almost killed myself. I need to learn more control. She sighed.

"Where am I?" She mumbled.

"You are in my room." She heard a familiar voice answering her. She waited for him to get closer and after hearing a few steps, Rokan appeared in front of her. She looked at him with a confused look.

"We were in a rush and my room was closer than yours."

She remembers being on the east wall which means her room was probably closer than his but she kept quiet.

"I apologize for causing such trouble."

"Don't apologize, we were able to win this battle thanks to your help. Just concentrate on getting better now." Rokan assured her and she smiled weakly in return.

"The battle! Did we win?"

"They have retreated to their camp on the other side of the hill but they are not leaving yet. We are getting ready for another battle. But that doesn't concern you." He turned to the wizard, "How is she?"

"She is okay for now but will probably feel weak for the next couple of days. You will start regaining your strength after. Be sure not to overuse your powers."

"I feel okay, I can help with the next battle too!" Evanora looked at Rokan as his eyes darkened and he shook his head.

"You feel okay since I already restored some of your energy but it will take a couple of days of rest in bed."

"Couple of days..." Evanora mumbled in disappointment.

"I will leave you now," The wizard said, he picked up his mask and he pushed his silky black hair back, "Rokan, I will be with Akare near the main gate, we need to regroup fast."

"Okay." Rokan's jaw tightened.

"Let me escort you." Helena offered politely as Duman headed for the door.

Evanora felt the room growing smaller now that it was just her and Rokan.

"I'm sorry for causing trouble to everyone. No need to worry though, I'm perfectly fine." She said as she started getting up again.

"What are you doing?" Rokan asked, his eyes growing wide. "Did you not hear what Duman said? You need to stay in bed and rest."

"Yes, yes, I will go rest in my room. No need to trouble you more."

"Stay here, I will be more troubled if you go back now."

"I'm holding you back, You need to go back out there don't you?"

"Stay here, it's more comfortable." Rokan grabbed his swords and headed for the door before stopping, "I'm sorry for dragging you into this as well." He then rushed out of the room before she had time to say a word.

Evanora spent her time in the room she had always wondered about. She sat on his bed and then moved to the sofa, She drank her medicine on the round table in the middle of the room, traced her fingertips along the side of his desk, and checked all of his books. She went into the adjacent room and sat down on the fluffy pillows scattered on the ground.

Helena told her that this was the place the previous king held his private parties, Evanora couldn't help but wonder if Rokan had ever used the room. It was a beautiful room with huge windows opening into his spacious veranda. Colorful curtains hang from the ceiling to the floor. The carpets held different beautiful shapes giving the room a more eastern vibe.

During the night, she would go out to the veranda and admire the view. She could see the entire castle and hear the faint sounds of the battle. From time to time, the sky would light with huge flames fired from one of the sides.

She would clutch her hand and wish she could be out there helping however she could feel her body struggling to generate the energy she so willingly drained for the people of this kingdom. When she would feel too tired to stand, she would climb into Rokan's bed and drift to sleep.

                                 -----------------------------------------------------------------------