(10)

Madeline's POV:

We all returned back to the Freak Show. I was completely exhausted from beating the shit out of Dell. It was worth it, but now, I am drained.

I felt a headache coming on, and the strength in my legs made me feel to the point of numbness. Jimmy ran both of us into Elsa's tent, he bridal style carried me the whole way home.

He calls out, "Elsa?" She looks to us, when she sees what state I am in, she felt poorly, "Oh, my darling. Lay her down, Jimmy." He does. She gets a cold rag, and she puts it on my forehead.

Elsa, "Have you no decorum? Barging into a lady's tent unannounced?" She looks to me once again, and then to Jimmy, "You're bleeding." Jimmy and I look to each other, "He can't stay here, Elsa."

Elsa looks to her reflection in the mirror, "I take it you both are referring to our new strongman" Jimmy, "You know he's out putting matinee posters all over town after you asked him not to?"

Elsa, "Perhaps it's for the best. We don't know how long this curfew will last. I've decided to give his scheme a try. Why not?" She begins to light a cigarette. Jimmy and I could not believe what she was saying.

Jimmy, "Elsa! He'll tear this troop apart!" Elsa, "Or hold it together. If the killer who stalks this town is not soon caught, the people will seek out scapegoats. And your kind, have always proven convenient sacrifices in such instances."

Jimmy was disgusted by these words, "You think that thick-necked goon is going to protect us?" Elsa, "I think for now, it's good to have a man of strength among us."

Jimmy gives her something, "You've already got one" She asks, "What's that?" I turn away as I did not want to see it, but I heard what it was from Jimmy, "That's the only thing left of the cop who came here the other day."

I say, "He was gonna take the twins, Elsa." Jimmy rubs my head to smooth out my headache, "Ssh. Ssh. There. There." We smile at each other as he continues, "He threatened to run us out of town or worse."

She speaks in German then says, "How have I underestimated you?" Jimmy, "Not just me." He nods to me, and I hand the thing to her, "Dell." She takes it and reads it. I say, "See where he's got you billed?"

She finishes with reading the paper and sighs, "He's got to go." Jimmy helps me up, and together we walk out of her tent.