(5)

Madeline's POV:

We all had a show to get ready for tonight. I heard Ethel announce, "Ladies and Gentlemen. Everything you've heard is true. All that has been advertised is here, under this tent. Wonders. Curiosities. A plethora of the strange, the weird, the bizzare, the unusual!" The man does a strange trick.

Ethel, "From jungles untamed to forests enchanted." The light directs to Pepper and her twin brother, Salt. Ethel, "From the Dark Continent to the spice-laden lands of India" there stands Evie, tall and proud with a smile on her face.

Evie unveils Ma Petite, who lies inside a big bird cage. Ethel, "Astounding mistakes of nature are gathered here for your amusement and edification. What you're about to see will astound your very senses."

Ethel, "And harrow. Yes, harrow your souls. And tonight, for the first time anywhere, the Spectacular Siamese Sisters" the spotlight lands on Bette and Dot.

Ethel, "But amidst the terrifying and the tragic... a voice...and beauty. Ladies and gentleman, direct from the cabarets of prewar Berlin, the enchantress who holds sway over all of nature's mistakes: Elsa Mars."

Ethel leaves, and Elsa begins her performance on the stage.

But, sadly, for both us here in the show, and Elsa, no one has attended our show in a long time- and we are more than likely on the verge of bankruptcy.

Jimmy holds me as we continue to stare at the dead body of the detective. He continues to hold me close and dear as we meet with our audience after our show.

The lady in red says, "You simply misunderstand. We don't want to buy anyone for the night. We want to buy them. Period" She makes an offer, "$5,000"

Elsa, "For one, maybe. But there are two beauties here" The boy next to her says, "Okay. $10,000" Elsa, "Have you any kind of idea what kind of box office they'll bring in over the next year?"

Elsa, "They're my headliners. Let's ask them" We turn to them, "Do you think $10,000 is a fair price for you?" The lady in red, "$15,000, and not one penny more. Unless she grows another head".

Dot, "We're staying right here" Bette, "This is our home" Elsa, "Darlings. That's just what I wanted to hear." Jimmy looks to me as he winks at me.

Elsa, "A family. And you will not split up our family" The lady and the boy leave after making some nasty comments. I am there to comfort Elsa, to tell her that it is not true what the horrid woman said.

Later that night, Jimmy and I hold hands, as I carry a lantern, our friends follow us, with the last carrying the deceased body of the detective.

Jimmy, "Friends. This lawman was supposed to protect and serve the innocent. But instead, he judged us guilty before he even set foot into our camp."

Jimmy holds our hands up, "All we've ever wanted was a place where we could feel safe, and be just the way we are. But no one is going to hand it to us. We're going to have to rise up, and take it"

I yell, "Don't we deserve to be happy?" The others yell, "Yeah!" Jimmy, "When bad things keep happening to good people, you start to question what is right and what is wrong. Well, I say, it's time we make our own right and wrong."

I say, "We say it's wrong for them to treat us like shit, and kick us around like the scum of the earth." Jimmy, "They want to call us monsters? Fine. We'll act like monsters."

Jimmy, "From this day on, if anyone tries to mess with us, any of us- 'cause you're one of us now" We look to Bette and Dot, "they're going to end up like this pig" Jimmy says as he finishes his sentence.

Jimmy, "Let's show them what we can do. To the worms!" We hold our weapons, but I didnt plunge in- as I saw a clown, a scary looking clown, with a sinister smile to go along with it, looking at us, as my friends continued to tear into the body.