Chapter twenty-five

Start from the beginning

That evoked anger that spilled into his face, and his words. Rolus stood up, his chair rattling against the wall. "You're right! Why should I suffer for his wrongs?"

Robert's scowl was still on, but his eyes held a warning that if Rolus didn't stop his outburst, then there would be hell to pay. "You know, your father was like this too. Stubborn man that killed his true mate because of his stupidity. Couldn't control himself and accepted her."

Rolus felt his ears ring. Ice seeped into his bones and froze him.

"Oh, yes, yes, Alpha Rolus! Your father killed his mate. The Council killed her right in front of him. Took him years to recover, but he eventually accepted and got a replacement."

Rolus shook his head in denial. His chest constricted, unable to breathe properly. He wheezed, the news knocking the air out of him. "T-that's a lie. That's a fucking lie!"

Robert cocked his head to the side. "Oh, really? It's not that I take enjoyment out of killing one's mate, Alpha Rolus. But if my hand is forced, then I have to deliver the execution. So don't be stupid and try to make a fool out of us."

"Get off my Pack grounds," Rolus found his voice, growling. He needed a moment alone to fucking vent.

Robert grinned, his grey eyes twinkling in mischief or enjoyment. "I'll be taking my leave, Alpha. But before that, let me give you a word of advise." He stood up, the grin disappearing. "You reek."

Rolus could barely control his wolf from taking over. He could hear the loud beating of his heart in the office.

Robert put his hands on the table and leaned towards Rolus. "You reek of that Black Moon Alpha. Accept him, he dies. I will be happy to let you watch him die right in front of you. Don't make the same mistake your father did."

Rolus' control slipped the moment the door banged closed behind Robert. He hauled the table across the room, clawed the fucking walls and punched through the door.
_________

When Rolus came back, the Pack House was dead silent. His outburst put everyone on edge. When he trudged up the stairs, not even a soul was out and about. He was still pissed, the rage suffocating the House.

When he opened the door to his room, the remnants of Luke's scent smacked him on the face.

He sputtered, choking on his spit. He didn't want Luke killed. Just that thought had him heartbroken.

He shut the door behind him and went to his kitchenette to drink water. He gulped it down in one go, then left the glass in the sink. He wouldn't do that if he was in the right state of mind.

His eyes caught on the glass of half-filled juice Luke was drinking. Luke was a fucking pig. Couldn't even clean after himself.

A smile made its way to his lips without a thought. He went to the table and grabbed the glass. He drank it, not caring in the moment that it sat out in the open for a long time. He rinsed it together with the glass he used.

He opened his liquor cabinet, and grabbed the bottle that had the highest alcohol percentage. He grabbed a glass, chastising himself for rinsing the glass in the first place when he was planning on drinking.

He placed the bottle and glass on the table, then sat down and poured himself a drink.

He couldn't believe his parents lied to him. Was it to protect him or what?

He laughed, the bottle already half empty.

It was not out of protection. They should have told him the truth. It would have scared him to the point that he wouldn't have associated with his mate.