Chapter twenty-four

Start from the beginning

Charlotte no longer questioned his mutterings.

He kept on slipping in and out of consciousness.

He awoke to shouting outside his bedroom door. He sat up, glad that the only pain he felt was just a slight prick.

He heard Luke and Charlotte argue. From what he picked up, Charlotte was denying Luke access to his room.

Rolus got off the bed, his mind slightly muddy. He put on his slippers, slipped on his shirt and went to the door. He opened, the arguing stopping.

Charlotte ran to his side, balancing him. "Alpha Luke is here to see you," she said, tone bitter.

Rolus raised his eyes to glare at Luke. Luke's face was impassive. "How lovely of you to come..." he glanced at the clock on the wall. "At four. When you said you'd come at 2."

"I got held up. I'm sorry," Luke replied, face still impassive.

Charlotte snorted. "You shouldn't have come in the first place."

Luke glared at her. Before she could start something she couldn't finish, Rolus intervened. "Charlotte. Please leave us."

She was about to object, but he shook his head. She led Rolus to the couch, then left, but not without letting her distaste show.

Rolus didn't know whether to shout at Luke or cuddle up to him. He could really use the skin contact. The fight he had in him dissipated the moment Luke turned to look at him, a sheepish look replacing the impassive one.

"I'm sorry for being late. I had some things to take care of," Luke said, his sorry smile had Rolus look away because it dissolved the negative emotions he had.

"It's fine, don't stress about it." It was not fine.

"Alright. Thank you. Okay. I managed to speak to Tamera."

"And?" The eagerness in his tone made Luke amused. He guessed since the smile was still intact, it meant he had good news.

"Took some convincing and begging. She agreed."

Rolus was elated, yes, but some part of him hurt. The part of him that acknowledged the mate bond, and saw the news as betrayal to Luke. He couldn't help feeling that way. The smile struggled to stay on his face so much that Luke noticed.

His smile dropped, a frown taking over. "I thought you'd be happy about this. Or was I wrong?"

Rolus shook his head, standing up and moving a bit away from Luke. Luke followed, hands behind his back.

"You wouldn't understand," Rolus replied. He was not going to discuss this thing with Luke. He was the last person to confide in. Well, he would be the first, but given the circumstances, it was not possible.

"Because I don't have the mate bond?"

Rolus was about to agree, but saw the look on Luke's face. "That's... that's not it."

"Yeah, of course it isn't. Tell me, is it the bond? Are you... I don't know how this works, but is it affecting you in any way?"

Rolus smiled softly, appreciating the concern in Luke's voice. "In what way?" he asked.

Luke seemed uncomfortable when he said, "I don't know. Like, stopping you from accepting Tamera's agreement. Something like that."

Rolus gestured for him to follow. They went into the kitchenette where he prepared both of them something to drink. "Yes, something like that." He laughed when Luke didn't appreciate his humor.

"How is it going to work anyway?" Luke asked, accepting the juice Rolus gave him.

Rolus shrugged, leaning against the cupboard. "I'm assuming you won't appreciate Tamera and I being intimate."