~51~

Alyx's POV

I'm not going to lie. I felt like shit waking up in the morning. My hand and chest hurting reminds me of my drunkenness, falling onto the pavement and getting keys thrown at me. Yeah... McKenna probably doesn't like me anymore. I don't care that I insulted her, though. She insulted me by insulting Amaya. Fuck. I remember telling her I had a girlfriend. She's probably going to tell everyone. Well... does it really matter if she's on the way? I mean, they're probably going to end up meeting her. After I have a few days alone with her at least... I'm already planning on calling in Monday for class and work.

It was pretty easy to get approved for both. Wilder wasn't exactly happy, but I can't actually see myself getting up that early and leaving her, even if it's just for four hours. God, I really hope she doesn't get annoyed for how clingy I'm going to be.

As the day gets closer, I can't help but feel like something is going to go wrong. I know it's just anxiety, but it's not unlikely that something could happen. And I've celebrated her arrival basically all week with how much of a good mood I was in. You're never supposed to celebrate early. That's when things go wrong. And what happens when she does get here? Is she going to act normal and enjoy her life, or is she going to try and hide in the apartment, still in fear of Grayson? Just because I have her here doesn't mean everything is okay. He's still a problem.

Sunday is finally here. The only plans I've made is to sit on my couch and wait for there to be a knock on the door. I already took a shower early this morning and finished cleaning everything until it was spotless. Now I'm just waiting. I know she said she was going to try for Sunday, that it could even be Monday, but I'm not leaving this apartment until she gets here. I'm not missing her.

I feel so antsy. The more day that passes, the more my stomach hurts. I take a deep breath. It's okay, Alyx. If she doesn't get here today, it'll be tomorrow. She's coming. Have faith in her. She's going to make it here.

Around five, I hear a knock on the door, making my heart instantly speed up. Oh my god. She's here. I comb my fingers through my hair to fix it before pulling the door open, only to be hit with disappointment when I see Finn instead.

"Hey. What's up?"

"What happened with you and McKenna? She's pissed."

I shrug and step to the side to let him in. "She tried coming on to me, and I didn't want her to."

"Because you have a girlfriend? That's what she said." I hesitate but nod. "Since when?"

"We've been together for a while actually..."

"Oh, damn. Sorry for trying to set you up with other chicks; I didn't know. Wait. Why did you lie about having one?"

I try to quickly come up with something off the top of my head. "Well, we kind of split ways because of our colleges being so far apart, but she dropped out and reached out to me. I still felt something for her, so we're getting back together." Seems legit, honestly. Lots of couples break up due to college. Makes me remember and wonder if Kayson and Elaine are still together. I'll ask Amaya later.

"High school sweethearts?"

"Yeah," I answer with a smile.

"That's cute. A little lame but also cute, I guess." I roll my eyes but let a laugh out. "So, why haven't I met her?"

"She's just now on the way. But you can't meet her today," I quickly add.

"I get it. You want to have some alone time for your reunion. Bring her over some time, though. I want to meet the girl that keeps your ass loyal enough to turn down McKenna." McKenna's really not all that special. I probably would've turned her down even if I was single.