Chapter 108: Generosity of the King

Magsimula sa umpisa

It made me sick to see my brother so defeated.

"Your Majesty," Kitiara spoke loud and clear, that annoying crispness to it. "Your Highness." She walked ahead of me down a royal purple long carpet, though my eyes were stained on my brother who had yet to look up. "I have the honor to introduce you to your granddaughter, and niece, Mitsu Kiyomizu."

Her words began to sound like I was underwater, muffled. My brother's attention had been drawn. His head shot up, and our eyes instantly connecting. I didn't know it was possible for him to turn even more pale than he already was. He appeared to look as sick as I felt.

Perhaps both of us had been holding onto a shred of hope that neither were truly here. Hope that was instantly shredded away and replaced by terror as we now realize this may indeed be the end of our adventure. Neither of us were in any state of being able to fight off an army, let alone us being able to escape.

I was shoved forward once more. My eyes left my twin, and instead I looked up to the two figures cloaked in purple silk robes. The man had a golden band across his head, the gold intertwined to look as if it were branches braided together to form a crown. Beside him, the female, had a similar band across her head, but instead of golden it was silver.

Both nearly identical in looks.

The man's long black hair pooled around his feet and around the golden throne he sat upon. His eyes were narrowed violet orbs which contained not an ounce of warmth or kindness. Gray stubble flowed around his jawline, but other than the gray there was nothing to offer his age. His robes were purple, and a golden sash draped across his chest to decorate it. The ends of his purple robes were decorated with embroidery of golden braids and leaves to match his crown. Golden sandals covered his feet, I wondered why he felt the need for so much gold. Though no weapon was present on his person, the woman to his right had him covered.

My grandfather, Italus Kiyomizu.

The woman beside him looked nearly identical. She has the same narrowed violet eyes, and the same black hair, though only a little shorter. Her jawline was softer, making her more feminine. She looked as if when she stood up she would stand a few inches shorter than the man. Instead of the gold, she had silver. Her robes were purple on the bottom and faded into a white on top. A silver sash was draped across her chest to rest on her shoulder as well. Much like Italus, she held no weapon, but another woman on her left side had her covered.

My Aunt, Ayami Kiyomizu.

Beside both royals stood two women. One older, and one younger. People who I assumed were members of the Kobayashi family.

"You don't hold much resemblance to your father. I can't say whether that is good or not, considering that boy took after his own mother too much." Italus spoke first. His voice was deep and gravely, his pronunciation loud and perfect.  "Your brother took after your father too much. Which was why he has failed for the last time."

My hand clenched up into a fist as I bit my tongue. Clearly, my habit of speaking out needed to be silenced here. Sato was far too close to the woman holding onto her sword for me to say anything.

Italus leaned forward only the slightest bit. "Do you take after the failed prince too?"

Having known what happens when I open my mouth, I stayed silent. However, while I could managed to stay silent, I couldn't hold back the glare that formed as he made eye contact with me. He is responsible for Sato's pain.

Seeing my glare, I swore I saw his scowl lift only the slightest into a smirk. "Perhaps, you take too much after your wild mother." 

My lips pulled into a sneer and I found enough energy to shove myself a few more steps forward. "Don't talk about my mother!"

Before I could blink I was slammed to the ground with a cold blade resting over my heart. Faintly I could hear Sato screaming my name in panic through the ringing in my ears. The woman standing over me was the one that had been standing beside Italus's right side.

Her straight hair was short, cut two inches above her shoulder, and grayed. Gray bangs covered her left eyes, leaving only one visible brown eyes to glare at me. Her own lips pulled into a matching sneer.

"Don't speak to the king like that." Her voice was cold and hard, cutting me like steel. "Don't make advances like that. I won't hesitate to cut you down. You're still too much like a filthy pirate."

"Tatsu." Ayami spoke finally, her voice was smooth like velvet and I almost wanted to trust her. "Father didn't give you orders to strike her down."

The woman, Tatsu, didn't move.

"Yes, Tatsu." Italus said, "Stand down for now. She'll be punished for speaking out, as will her brother. Perhaps I'll even have her watch while Sato receives lashings."

My eyes widened as I instantly found myself regretting for acting out even the slightest.

Tatsu glared at me coldly before standing up and returning to the King's side. I wasn't given time to register her moving before I was dragged to my feet once more.

"Father, I request that we allow food privileges for the week for her." Ayami said, looking me over. "She needs to regain some strength to start training."

Italus looked me over in disgust then nodded. "Agreed. Mitsu will be allowed two meals this week. However, as punishment everyday for a week she will receive fifty lashes to the back. Punishment for speaking out, and every sound she makes will add more."

Here I thought Kitiara was bad enough for beating me.

"Sato will receive the same. However, he has lost his food privileges for the week once more, but I will show some mercy and allow him a glass of water each day. While Sato receives his lashings, Mitsu is to sit and watch, and any noise she makes in protest adds another five lashings to Sato." Italus ordered, "Since I'm feeling generous, for the week they'll share the cell in the dungeon." Then he waved his hand. "Take them away for now. We have urgent matters to attend to."

.................................................................

End of Chapter 108!

This is not edited.