Chapter Twenty-Eight

Katherine POV

I think my new thing was breaking down in the bathroom. I had locked myself in here about 15 minutes ago as soon as we got to the wake. I couldn't handle all the people coming up to me and asking how I was doing. I didn't want to lie to them, but I couldn't tell them the truth.

The knock on the door pulls me out of my head.

"Sorry, I'll be out in a second," I shout, trying to wipe the tears away.

"Let me in," Landos voice comes from the other side. I unlock the door, and he pushes it open, stepping inside and locking it behind him. His arms wrap around my neck, pulling me into him.

"I've said to everyone that this bathroom is broke, so you don't have to come out until you want." I smile.

"Stay with me,"

"Always," he pulls away, grabbing a tissue and wiping my face. "You're too pretty to cry," I laugh. "That's my girl. I missed you, smile."

"I think you're the only one that can get me to smile,"

"That's my job, isn't it?" he takes my hand in his "I love you"

"I love you too." he leans down and places a kiss on my lips.

"We can go down. I think I've locked myself away enough,"

"Are you sure? We can stay locked in here all day if you'd like"

"I'm sure." he nods and unlocks the door.

"I'll be right by your side. Just squeeze my hand if it gets too much, and I'll get you out of there." I nod, and we walk down the stairs.

"Katherine," my aunt Elizabeth says, pulling me in for a hug. "It was a lovely service," she looks to Lando. "Thank you for helping with everything."

"It wasn't a problem," I walk through the people.

"Kate." I turn to see Christian and Geri walking over to me. I didn't let go of Landos' hands as they hugged me both.

"I'm so sorry, sweetheart," Geri says, her hand on my cheek wiping the tear. "Your mother was so proud of you and everything you have achieved."

"She's not wrong. I got phone calls every race week asking for pictures of you," I let out a laugh.

"Did you give them the ones of me and Lando?" He shakes his head "Huh I wonder where she got them. " Christian eyes travel to Lando.

"I'll speak to you soon, okay?" I nod, and then Lando pulls me to the corner of the room.

"I gave them her,"

"What?"

"I gave your mum the photos of us,"

"When half of then we didn't even take when we went to see her."

"Well," he says. "I went to see her after we both went." I already know that I'm crying. "When I said I was at Mclaren, I wasn't. I was with your mum."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"For reason we can not yet disclose," I laugh, shaking my head. "There were things I wanted to talk about that I didn't want you to be there for," he wipes my tear "when I first met her she told me to look after you and always be by your side I'm making sure I keep that promise"

"I'm glad thst she got to approve of you beforehand,"

"Yeah, because I'm not going anywhere. You're stuck with me for life,"

~~~~~~~

I look at the flowers on the table, shaking my head. Max and Lando make their way over to me.

"He didn't even show or call me or even text me to see if I was okay," I let out "but he sends some crappy flowers with a card saying forever missed like that will make up for everything" Max hugs me from the side "He's acting like she's just another person he met not like they were married for half of my life"

"Your dad is many things, but I won't say half the things I'm thinking of right now." Max speaks

"You're surrounded by people who love and care about you. Let's not let him get into your head, not today of all days." Lando says.

"Yeah, you're right. I don't want to think about him today he doesn't deserve it today's about my mother."

"Come on, let's go to the others." I nod and follow them towards the boys. Charles and Arthur are the first ones to hug me. It might sound a little morbid, but knowing they've been where I've been helps me a little bit because when I look at them, I know that I can get through this.

"I wanted to thank you," I say. "I mean, you four helped carry her in. I don't know what I would have done without you, " I say to Lando, Max, Charles, and Arthur.

"It was an honour we might not have met her, but if she's half the women you are, then we are honoured. You asked us to be a part of today," Charles says.

"Group hug," Daniel says, pulling me into him, everyone else, getting in on it.

I know that with these around me I can get through this and if I can get through this I can get through anything everything I do now was all for her.