Chapter twenty-three

Start from the beginning

He closed his eyes, his horror elevated by Luke's very loud groan.

"Really? What does a man have to do around here to get some damn sleep?" Luke snapped, tossing the covers away and getting off the bed. "Firstly, it was your insistent knocking, then that fucking chewing." He complained, heading into the bathroom.

Rolus rolled his eyes, picking up the shards of ceramic and the fruits. He might as well have chewed louder, and smashed the bowl. Or dropped the cutlery.

"I'm sorry!" Rolus yelled, the mocking in his tone noticeable. Luke didn't say anything.

Luke came out of the bathroom, wiping his face with the towel. When he finished, he tossed the towel on the bed, then helped himself to his breakfast.

"What are we doing today?" he talked with food in his mouth. His words came out jumbled.

Rolus looked away in disgust. He saw the chewed food in his mouth. Luke was getting too comfortable around him. "I thought we could stay in today. Especially with Robert on our tail. Thought we could rest." And spend quality time with each other. Of course he didn't say that out loud.

From what Rolus picked out, Luke avoided any situation that might lead to vulnerability, or some kind of spoken affection. He reacted badly, or sometimes he pretended like he didn't hear Rolus. Rolus assumed it was because of the lack of his feeling of the mate bond.

Not that Rolus was comfortable with that too. But he wanted to try.

"So, what will we be exactly doing?" Luke asked, placing his empty plate on the tray. He picked up an apple, and bit into it.

"Chilling?"

Luke snickered. "Chilling?"

"Then what do you suggest we do?" Rolus asked, leaning against his chair. The first day they got here, they went to the zoo, then hiking. Then after, to the casino. Of course, none of them won anything because they were amateurs. They just went there for fun. Luke ended up losing way more money because of his stubborn tendencies. Yesterday, they went to the restaurant. It's been a very interesting four days. To him, it was worth it because they were now sort of comfortable around each other. Well, Luke was more than comfortable. He snorted at that.

"There's a bar in the hotel, and we haven't gone there yet. Do you suppose we could check it out?"

Rolus didn't voice out his disappointment. If he did, Luke would have a field day. He seemed to be the kind of person who relished in people's misfortunes. People as in Rolus. Rolus wasn't comfortable enough to voice out his concerns.

Rolus sighed. The bond was messing with him. He hated feeling the way he felt. He was always going to be the one sacrificing and retreating.

"Yes, yes. We can go," he replied, crossing his arms over his chest.

Luke fixed his eyes on him for a moment, asking, "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, Luke. Let's do whatever you want. It's always going to be your way or nothing at all," he mumbled. This bond was turning him into someone he didn't recognise. By now, it would have been his way, and not Luke's way.

Luke frowned, seeming confused. "Excuse me?"

"I mean, I told you that we should chill, and you dismissed me. Now you want us to go to the rooftop bar. And you expect me to agree."

"Rolus, I... where is this coming from?"

Rolus stood up, running a hand continuously through his hair. "I just don't think it's fair that I'll always be the one sacrificing, or compromising. I will always have to compromise myself for you. I'll always have to put your feelings first, before mine. And you wouldn't do the same for me. That's all." He shrugged.