Chapter 45: At an Impass

Amy's POV:

Jumping to my feet as I hear my door click open, relief floods over me as Shadow appears through the frame. Quietly shutting the door behind him, his fur looks tussled as he tiredly looks at me.

Nervously pulling on the sleeves of my shirt, I break the silence as soon as he comes to a stop in front of me.

"I'm sorry for yelling yesterday... There was a better way to communicate my feelings. I just-- I felt like I wasn't being heard, so I figured if I voiced my thoughts a little louder then maybe you would listen. I'm sorry for not telling you about the test, Shadow. Relying on anyone but myself has been... Hard, these past few years. I knew you were against me being involved in the fight against Calix, you were just so adamant about it that I figured asking you about Tails testing my blood would make you mad... So instead I went behind your back, and I shouldn't have."

Sighing quietly, his shoulders slouch as he exhales. I sent him a message asking for him to come over so we could talk yesterday afternoon, and it took everything in me not to bust his door down and initiate the conversation myself.

I've been too overbearing in the past, whether Sonic tries to deny it or not we both know I was a handful when we were younger. And wether I want to admit it or not, I did play a part in my relationships with Sally and Sonic falling apart.

But I refuse to contribute to us splitting apart because I'm unable to convey how I feel properly.

"Thank you for giving me time to think. But... I was listening. I did hear you, Amelia. I was just shocked at the fact that you went behind my back, and I feel like you betrayed my trust." Nodding in understanding despite the feeling of my heart sinking into my stomach, I've heard the "but" coming in this conversation so many times in the past. The but that comes before saying they don't think this is going to work, the but that comes before the breakup. The but that comes before saying he can't forgive me.

"But... I've betrayed your trust before too. And as much as it pains me to admit it, you were right. This is your life, and even though I am a part of it I have no right to dictate it for you." Closing the distance between us, he gently brushes his hand across my cheek. Closing my eyes as I lean my head against it, he hesitates before saying "I've sheltered you, Rose. More than I ever should have. More than I had the right to. I may be the Ultimate Life Form, but you're ultimate in your own right."

Looking up at him, a small smile tugs at his lips.

"I've been so terrified at the thought of losing you that I didn't take a second to consider the fact that you've been afraid of the same thought. You want to protect me just as fiercely as I need to protect you. Fear is not an emotion that I'm accustomed to having, and I'm sorry that you felt as if you couldn't talk to me because I've been acting so rashly."

Pulling me into his arms, I release a breath I didn't know I was holding as his warmth engulfs me; The beating of his heart lulling me back into a sense of tranquility. I don't think I realized just how perturbed I was over our fight, I couldn't think. I couldn't do anything with the looming anxiety that I jeopardized our relationship. If I ever doubted it before, I'm more sure than I've ever been of anything.

"I love you, Shadow."

Staring softly into my eyes, he leans down to tenderly push a short kiss against my lips. Sighing contently, I stand onto my tippy toes to reach for his head. Grinning with a knowing smile, he leans down for me to plant a kiss to his forehead.

"We'll talk more, Shadow. I promise. But before we do I have one more apology that I have to make today." Pulling away from him, our fingertips catch before slipping apart.

"Rose, wait."

Looking over my shoulder, butterflies dance through my stomach at his affectionate gaze.

"I love you too."

.
.
.

Sonic's POV:

Nervously tapping my foot as Sally sits down with a cup of tea, she opens her mouth to speak before a knock sounds at my door.

Looking at me through slitted eyes, I nervously smile as the knock sounds again.

She's been waiting to talk to me for days but I've been so busy trying to help Tails that I put it off until now. She's reasonably peeved, and now that we finally have a chance to talk it's being interrupted.

Giving an annoyed wave of her hand telling me to open the door, she takes a sip of her tea as I walk to the entrance of my hut. Opening the door, I see the small pink hedgehog smiling up at me awkwardly.

Moving to shut the door, she catches it with her hand before prying it from my grasp.

"I came to apologize. Please?"

Pursing my lips, she adds "and I brought you cookies".

With that, I give a prolonged sigh before opening the door. "Ah, cookies first." Rolling her eyes, she drops the warm plate into my hands as she makes her way inside.

Peeling back the saran wrap to see the chocolate chip cookies, I snatch one in delight before I see the look on Amy's face. She's staring at Sally, searching the stressed look that Sally's been wearing for days. Shooting me a sideways glance, she walks over to kneel beside Sally, talking in hushed tones too quiet for me to hear.

Beginning to grow even more anxious as Amy's eyes widen, there's a long pause before she places a soothing hand on Sally's knee.

Looking back at me, she stands back to her feet before she begins talking.

"I'm sorry, Sonic. I shouldn't have snapped at you, you have enough going on without me reminding you of everything that we have to lose. I know you've been under an unimaginable amount of stress... and I'm sorry for taking my anger out on you."

Feeling the tension release from my shoulders, I've never been able to stay mad at Amy for very long. Despite the complicated past we've had, she's more of a sister to me than anything now.

She's family, and family that's willing to apologize, at that. I need her in my life just as much as I need Sally in it. And besides, I have too much on my plate without having to worry about  mending my friendship with Amy. We've already been through it once, and I don't plan on losing her again any time soon.

"It's fine, Ames. Water under the bridge... Just promise me that when all of this goes down, you'll come out of it just as untouched as when you went in. Okay?"

Screwing up her eyebrows as she looks suspiciously to the side, there's a small grin on her face.

"I don't know that I can promise that. But I will promise to be careful. Deal?"

Sighing, I know that this is all of the compromise that I'm going to get out of her today.

"Deal."