Chapter 21: Choices

Shadow's POV:

Listening to the sound of my shoes echo around the empty hallway, I try to block out the noise. It's a sound that haunts my dreams, somehow nothing but the emptiness can be a nightmare in and of itself. Maria may be here to keep me company, but I would rather not drop the gruesome truth on her as to why we're really here. I've grown closer to her in the recent year that we've been trapped here together, although she doesn't actually know that we're trapped. For her own sake, I let Maria believe that I betrayed Sonic and his friends to bring her back from the dead.

For months the sound of Amy's screams have haunted me. I find myself covering my ears when I'm alone, only to close my eyes and see her splayed open on that operating table like some sort of morbid science experiment. I rarely get sleep, and when I do I'm haunted by the past. I suppose sleep is a luxury I don't deserve right now.

Being The Ultimate Life form means I don't need sleep, or food.

But that doesn't mean I don't miss the comfort in them.

Being dragged from my thoughts by a gentle knock on my door, Maria quietly peeps her head into my room.

"I'm sorry for bothering you Shadow, but I can't sleep."

Seeing her baby blue eyes brings me comfort, and I gladly lift up the blankets to invite her into the bed.

"Come, I'll keep you company while you fall asleep."
                                       ~
Being tired but unable to sleep is one of the worst feelings I've experienced.

I stare at the ceiling, Maria's silhouette calmly rising and falling next to me.

30 more minutes pass by before I sigh in frustration. Getting up, I kiss Maria on the forehead before walking into the dimly lit hallway. My watch beeps as I click it on, revealing my next mission from the doctor. As I skim over the message, I feel my heart drop into my stomach.

__________
-------
Subject 01: The Ultimate Life Form
.
.
Mission Objective: Harvest intact organs from seven female Mobian hedgehogs.
------
__________

Is this..... How he obtained the means to reincarnate Maria?
                                       ~
Months pass by, and my mission objective changes from seven to however many it takes to get Amelia a new and stable body.

The doctor explained to me that the organs have to go together perfectly or her body will never function properly. In his morbid way of thinking, he explained that it's like a puzzle. Trying to shove two pieces together and make them work will distort the picture. In other words, trying to force other Mobian's organs into her current husk of a body will kill her when the doctor eventually stitches her back together.

Ever since the sight of seeing her organs spilled out on the operating table, I haven't been able to visit her. I haven't had the stomach to answer Sonic's desperate calls asking for updates either.

"Shadow, can you come help me please?"

I'm pulled from my thoughts as Maria's sweet voice echoes around the corridor.

"Of course, lead the way."