Chapter 6: Strategies

Shadow's POV:

Sitting in silence as the wind whistles through the trees, I have to admit it's nice to not have someone try and conversate the entire time we're on patrol. It is rather odd though, seeing as I remember this pink brat never wanting to shut up.

Maybe she isn't as unruly as she used to be, who knows.

It was however very satisfying to see that she's not chasing after that blue pest anymore. From the few times that I've encountered Sonic, she would come out of nowhere and chase him. And from what I recall, he was never all that nice to her to begin with.

One time I asked her why she even bothered to run after the faker, and she simply stated it was because she loved him. I'm no expert seeing as the only person I've ever cared for was Maria, but people in love don't run from you in fear.

Surprised to hear her voice after two silent hours, she asks "aren't you cold?"

Realizing that it is indeed a little chilly today, I shrug. "I'm the ultimate life form. I don't get cold."

"Hm."

Glancing at her, she seems lost in thought so I decide to entertain the situation.

"Why did you come back?"

"Because I needed to."

That's a rather vague answer.

She looks at me, her long hair blowing in the wind. "I thought you were working for Eggman?"

That old bastard.

"I was. I lost interest when he stopped experimenting and started hospitalizing people instead."

I watch a smile tug at her lips. "I never expected you to care about things like that."

I shrug, and she looks back to the tree line. I've been observing her movements for a few hours, and my conclusion is: She reminds me a lot of Maria. She's a happy soul, but certain things seem to suck the life out of that happiness. For Maria, it was the hope for a new treatment to work only for it to fail like all the others. For Amy, it seems to be the faker.

I remember trying to cheer Maria up after every treatment would fail. She would give me a soft smile, but it was a smile that never reached her eyes. She was content, but not truly happy. But despite how sick she got, she refused to see anything but the good within people. I've never understood it, perhaps it is a complex emotion that I myself can never possess. I do however feel sorrow. I felt it when Maria died. She was my only friend, and the only person who ever showed any compassion towards me. She viewed me as more than an experiment. Perhaps that is why I still miss her every day.

Looking at the pink hedgehog, she does possess a lot of the qualities that Maria had. But the one thing that Maria never did was give up hope. I can't quite pinpoint what's wrong with the hedgehog, but she seems.....Broken.

I need to stop assessing people like this, it's a bad habit.

Is the ground....Vibrating?

Looking to Amy, she seems to feel it too.

"They're here."