Chapter 44: Entangled

Shadow's POV:

Watching her chest gently rise and fall in the pale early morning light, our legs are tangled together under the blankets. Smoothing the hair away from her face, she stirs at my touch as she opens her tired emerald green eyes.

Staring as her ears fold back in an exaggerated yawn while she stretches, it's easily the most adorable thing that I've ever seen.

Being in her bed, watching her try to smooth her messy quills, what happened last night... It all feels so surreal. As if she might disappear if I blink.

"Good morning."

Feeling my ears twitch to the sound of her voice, it's all the realization that I need to know I'm not dreaming. This is real, she's real. We're real.

"Good morning, Rose."

A happy smile spreads across her face as I bend down, pressing a gentle kiss to her small forehead.

Brushing her thumb across my cheek, our contempt gazes last for no longer than a couple of seconds before our communicator watches start screaming, interrupting the serene moment. Releasing a heavy sigh, I reach for my watch as Amelia gets up; The white sheets wrapped teasingly around the slopping curves of her body. Making her way to her closet, she begins sliding through her hangers looking for something to slip on.

"What is it?"

Prying my eyes away from her as she bends over at the hip, I read the emergency message from Sonic aloud. "Tails cracked the code to the Master Emerald shards, meet in twenty." Looking back up to see her fully dressed, despite my disappointment I realize that the jacket she's wearing looks extremely familiar.

"Amelia, is that my hoodie?" Looking away from me suspiciously, I jump from the bed and snatch her by the waist before she squeals and erupts into laughter. It's a contagious sound, and as mine melds with her own I realize that I've never laughed so effortlessly with anyone else.

"Then I guess we better get going, huh?"

Grinning as I press her body against mine, I lean down to whisper in her ear. "The message said twenty minutes. I can work with that."

.
.
.

Sonic's POV:

Checking the time on my communicator watch, the door squeaks open as Shadow's large stature appears in the doorway. Towering over Amy, she's smiling up at him, her cheeks flushed and her ears perked in his direction. Compared to the crazed and frantic look he had on Angel Island, his expression is eerily calm seeing her safe right by his side. Or maybe I just haven't gotten used to the look of his face wearing any other expression besides a scowl.

"Alright, now that everyone's here lets start the meeting. Tails, let us know what you found?"

Laying out the shards on the table, the poor fox looks like he's lacking days worth of sleep. With the threat Calix poses, I'm not the only one who's been pulling all-nighters.

"I was able to weaponize the Master Emerald. But they work nothing like the chaos magic you and Shadow are used to working with.... There isn't going to be any kind of super form." Glancing to Amy, he adds "and you won't be able to hold them. I tested it against your blood like you asked... They repelled like magnets". Watching Shadow's eyebrows scrunch together in confusion as he looks down at Amy, she's wearing a guilty expression. "The good thing about that is Calix won't be able to use the Master Emerald against us if he gets ahold of any shards."

Giving a nervous glance to Shadow, he's avoiding her pleading gaze. Sighing before looking back to Tails, she questions "Calix has been ten steps ahead of us this entire time, what if he's prepared for this? I know it was a miracle that you were even able to draw out the energy from the shards... But is it really enough?"

Watching Tails purse his lips, I've got to admit that Ames has a point.

"You and Calix have the same magic running through your veins, Amy. If you can't touch the shards, then neither can Calix."

.
.
.

Amy's POV:

Running after Shadow as the rest of the team files out of Sonic's hut behind me, I reach for his hand only for him to pull it out of my grasp.

"Shadow, please! Let me explain!" Turning around to look at me, guilt pangs through my body as his eyes flash with a look of betrayal.

"You promised me, Amelia."

Reaching for his hand again, he makes no attempt to pull away again as I grab it. Instead, he lets his fingers hang loosely between mine, refusing to intertwine them.

"I know but-- Just listen!!" Begging for his crimson eyes to meet mine, he tightly clenches his jaw before ripping his hand away from mine. "No you listen, Amelia!! You're not going to fight Calix, how am I meant to protect you--" Cutting him off, I raise my voice to match the tone of his own.

"But who's going to protect you?!"

Staring desperately at him, he looks away before stepping back from me. Attempting to close the distance between us, he puts his hand out to stop me.

"Don't... Just-- Just leave me be. I need time to calm down."

Clenching my jaw nervously as he walks away, I turn around to see that the entire team just witnessed our little display. Feeling my face flush in embarrassment, Sonic places his hand on my shoulder before ushering me back inside of his hut.

Closing the door to shut out the teams prying ears, I clutch my churning stomach feeling as if I'm going to be sick. We've bickered back and fourth before the start of our relationship over mundane things... But never anything like that.

"Ames... Are you alright?" Sitting down onto his sofa, I shakily exhale and lean my head back. "I promised him Sonic... I promised him I wouldn't put myself in harms way again but I just can't-- I can't just sit back and do nothing while the two of you face this threat alone."

Sitting down next to me, he gently places his hand on my back. Sighing, he awkwardly rubs the back of his neck with the other. "Look Amy... I would normally side with you to any extent, but we both agree that this isn't a battle you should be fighting. Tensions are running high right now, but I think Shadow has every right to be upset. You went behind his back, and behind mine too."

Angrily scrunching my brows together, he flinches as I turn to look at him. "Why does everybody get a say in this except for me?" Pulling his hand away, he sighs again, this time more exasperated. "Ames, just stop being so hardheaded for one second and liste--"

Cutting him off, I jump to my feet before shoving my pointer finger into his chest. "No you listen! You're right, he does have every right to be upset with me right now. But I also have every right to be upset with the two of you for trying to decide what is and isn't right for me." Jabbing him again, I snap "you're scared, Sonic! The fastest thing alive and the ultimate life form are scared! So where does that leave the rest of us?!"

Watching his face twist with bitterness, his large frame towers over me as he stands to his feet.

"You're right Amy, I am afraid. Because Calix can and will destroy everything I love if I give him the opportunity. He'll destroy Sally, he'll destroy you, he'll destroy all of Mobius! So yes Amy I'm scared. I'm terrified. Call it whatever you want, because we might lose everything to him! And if I can help it, you getting in the way of everything and getting yourself killed is not part of my plan to defeat him."

Biting back the pang of guilt that shoots through me, I glare back up at him. I know he's shouldering the weight of the world on his shoulders, he even told me as much. But even so, I let my anger speak. "Get in the way?? How am I going to get in the way, Sonic?! My powers might be the only thing that can beat him--"

"Because you're not ready." Looking down at me, his tone is steady. Futile, even. "You're not powerful enough Amy. None of us are." Opening my mouth to argue with him, he cuts me off with a shaky, short exhale.

"Get out."

"What?? But!--"

Squeezing his temples, he tightly shuts his eyes before repeating himself. "Please... Just get out."

Pursing my lips, I tighten my fist into a ball before shakily releasing it. Gripping at the wooden handle, I let the door slam shut behind me.