Chapter 22: Waiting Game

Rouge's POV:

Knuckles squeezes my hand tightly, ever the supporting boyfriend as I scream at Sonic.

"He hasn't answered any of our messages for 6 months, Sonic!! How the hell do we even know Amy's still alive, huh?!!"

"I don't know, Rouge!"

Guilt instantly floods through me as I hear his voice break. I let my anger get the best of me, and forgot that Sonic has felt the effect of Amy's absence more than any of us.

Dropping his head into his hands, we all gather around to hug him.

.
.
.

??? POV:

The unfamiliar feeling of air entering my lungs feels like glass shredding through my insides with every breath. The pain is nothing new, however the sensation of being alive is.

I blink, trying to chase away the blurriness clouding the edges of my vision.

I'm in a dark room that reeks of a metallic smell, most likely blood. And sure enough, a pair of bloody gloves are laying next to my body.

My blood runs cold as I finally get a good look at the body that's supposed to be mine.

The burning sensation in my lungs increases as I start to panic, tears stinging my eyes at the sight of my pink fur stitched together like a toy bear that the stuffing fell out of.

"Don't cry my dear, why you've just been given a second chance at life!"

Slowly looking up to the shadow of a man looming over me, his mustache curves into a grin.

"....Eggman?"

"That's right you pink brat. If it wasn't for my wonderful son Shadow begging me to save you you'd still be in a coma."

Son?...What is he going on about?

"Isn't that right my boy?"

Eggman turns to a blank wall, laughing and patting the air.

What the hell? Has he completely lost it?...

.
.
.

Shadow's POV:

After receiving the message on my communicator that Amelia was awake, I decided to visit her and get her situated into a suitable room.

"Rose?....How are you feeling?"

Peeking my head into the rancid smelling operating room, Amelia is sitting with her back to me in a metal chair.

"Rose? It's me."

Walking to the front of the chair, I notice she's still in a bloodied hospital gown. Her fur is a matted mess, stained with blood and iodine.

That sick bastard didn't even bother to clean her up.

"Come on Rose, lets get you cleaned up."

She's unresponsive to me, and simply looks up with a blank expression.

Maybe she's in shock, I'm sure the doctor wouldn't leave her brain dead...Right?

Maybe she just needs a little bit of time to get back into the swing of things.

"Up we go."

Cradling her in my arms, I crinkle my nose at the strong smell of both new and dried blood. Nothing a long hot shower can't fix, I'm sure.

.
.
.

Amy's Pov:

I sit in the warm tub for at least an hour, though at one point I lost track of time. Most of that time went to trying not to scream as the hot water washed over my open wounds, and the rest went to watching the clear water quickly turn red.

I hear a gentle knock at the door, but I don't bother answering as the yellow hedgehog walks into the bathroom.

I recognize the soft voice of Maria. "Are you okay Amy? Shadow sent me to check on you."

When I don't respond, she notices the bloodied water and takes it upon herself to start draining the water.

The handle faucet squeaks, echoing around the starkly white bathroom. As the bath tub starts filling up again, every part of my skin feels as if it's on fire.

Maria must notice my uncomfortableness, and starts gently squeezing warm water from the loofa onto me. Pushing aside the bottles of soaps and good smelling shampoo, she slowly starts working the matted clumps of dried blood from my fur.

I don't complain as she does so, but having warm water squeezed onto open wounds is just about as unpleasant as it gets.

"Did you....Want to come back?"

My vocal cords feel shot and achy, but for some reason I feel the need to answer her. Whether it's for her comfort or for me not feeling guilty later for ignoring such a sensitive topic, I decide to answer.

"No."

She's just as surprised as me once she hears the hoarseness in my voice.

"....I asked my uncle to never bring anyone back again."

I sit in the warm bath water as she drains the tub once again and starts filling it back up.

"He's a revolting animal. I would kill him if I could."

Her shocked expression is accompanied by the sound of the loofa falling into the water. She quickly picks it back up, but her expression remains.

"I know the way he brought you back was....unpleasant to say the least. But he's not a bad person."

"How many people has he killed?"

She hesitates, unsure of how to answer.

"....Killed? Uh..."

"The answer is you don't know. You've never had to burry somebody's family member in a shallow grave because you couldn't save them in time from hundreds of robots burning down houses with children inside of them. He's a monster, and he always will be."