Chapter 10: Recovery

Amy's POV:

Groggily blinking awake to a burning sensation in my lungs and the worst sore throat that I've ever had, the first thing I see is Shadow.

I blink in and out of consciousness as he carries me.

I'm so tired....

Feeling my eye lids grow heavy, the world goes black again.

.
.
.

Shadow's POV:

With the last of Robotnik's robots being taken care of by Sonic and the others, they told me to get her medical attention. I don't know what the hell kind of hospital they expect me to take her to, considering there are none in this small excuse of a town.

After handing the infant off to Blaze, I rush Amelia to her house.

Opening the door, I walk up the stairs leading to where I'm assuming her bedroom is.

As I gently lay her down on the bed, her eyes open for a few seconds then roll back again.

She must be trying to properly wake up.

Rummaging around her house, I grab a cup of water and a first aid kit.

Pulling up a chair next to the bed, I start wrapping her visible injuries. Her eyes are now open as she watches me. "...The baby."

It must be painful to speak. Her voice is so hoarse.

"She's fine Rose. Worry about yourself."

Despite the exhaustion hanging on every word, she continues to speak to me.

"I had no idea....That it was this bad."

She must be talking about Robotnik's attacks.

Looking down at her bruised and soot covered body, I nod. "Robotnik has changed. Ever since Cuebot and Orbot abandoned him he saw no good left in the world. He started purposefully hurting Mobians. I couldn't stand to watch him slowly lose his mind. Talking to the walls and yelling at inanimate objects...So I left."

She smiles, and looks up at me. A gesture I've come to enjoy. "You became a hero."

I roll my eyes, but I realize that she's right.

As she starts coughing and hacking, I try to hand her the glass of water but she pushes it away.

"Stop being stubborn Amelia."

She glares as I call her by her real name.

"No. I don't want it."

She sounds like a little kid refusing to eat their vegetables.

Sighing, my eyes drift back to the black material covering most of her body.

"Fine, then at least take a bath. You're filthy."

"Will you put bubbles in it?"

Is she being serious?

I cross my arms. "You're not a five year old, and I'm not your maid either."

Looking into her pleading eyes, I growl in annoyance.

She's just going to keep complaining if I don't.

"Fine."

Helping her sit up and walk to the bathroom, I set her down on the closed toilet seat to turn the water on. She points to the soaps she wants, and I pour them into the water. Watching as the jets turn on and start to create bubbles, the sweet smell of cupcakes and strawberries fill the bathroom. Turning to see Amy struggling to get her shoes off, I ask "can you get in by yourself?"

She nods, so I walk out and close the door.

Good, I wasn't going to help her anyways.

She's probably starving by now. Oh well, it's not my responsibility to feed her.

... But she has been making me those chocolate cakes every week.

I sigh, knowing it's the right thing to do regardless of if I want to do it or not.

How the hell am I supposed to cook anything if I've never cooked before?

Looking around the kitchen, I find packs of tea and some honey, things I have no idea how to make, and a pack of biscuits.

Some tea will probably sooth her throat....I think.

Getting a pot to boil some water, I place it on the stove then grab the cylinder that's supposedly full of biscuits. After reading the directions, I peel off the paper and hit it on the counter. To my surprise the can busts open, so I take the strange little circles and place them on a metal sheet.

After 5 minutes of trying to figure out how to turn the oven on, I put the metal sheet in the oven and pour the hot water into a cup.

This is such a bother.

Not once in my life have I ever taken care of anyone besides Maria. Amelia is my scouting partner and nothing more.

I'm aware I at least owe it to her for all the little things she's done for me, but should I really be taking care of her? The last thing I need is to become attached.

Looking around at the tea and the biscuits cooking in the oven, I think about the way my heart was racing when I found her under a pile of rubble in that burning house.

I do care about her. She may even consider me to be her friend....Is it such a bad thing that I'm tired of always being alone?

....would Maria want me to have friends again?

.
.
.

Amy's POV:

Enjoying the feeling of the jets massaging my back, I carefully wash all of the dirt and soot off of my skin. Realizing how sore every inch of my body is, I soak in the warm water for a few more minutes before reaching for a towel.

Easing myself out of the tub, I wince at the tenderness in my muscles.

I quickly dry off, and peek out of the door to make sure Shadow is still downstairs. When I see that the coast is clear, I limp to the closet and slip into some comfortable grey sweatpants and a white oversized hoodie.

As I walk out of the closet, I see Shadow walking up the stairs with a cup of warm tea and biscuits covered in honey. Feeling my stomach growl, he sets the plate on my nightstand and helps me sit down.

"I uh...I've never cooked before, but I figured that you would be hungry."

I smile at the kind gesture, one that I never would have expected to come from Shadow.

"Thank goodness, I'm starving."

Reaching for the tea, I'm ecstatic to find that he put honey in it as well. Feeling it coat my sore and irritated throat, I gulp down the rest of it.

He watches as I bite into the biscuit.

Trying not to make a face as I bite into the raw middle of it, I nod and say it's really good.

For the first time since I moved back, I see him genuinely smile.

"Really? It's good?"

"It's delicious."

He looks smugly to the small meal he made, though it's short lived once he sees my messy hair.

"You didn't brush your quills?"

I shake my head. "I was too tired."

He's quiet for a few minutes, then he suddenly gets up and grabs the hair brush that Knuckles got me for Christmas. To my surprise, he tells me to turn around.

He gently works the tangled parts of my quills with the brush while I sit awkwardly. After a few minutes, he says he's done.

Turning around to look at him, I ask a question that's been bugging me since he brought me home. "Shadow, why are doing all of this?"

For once, I'm intimidated by his crimson gaze.

"Because I'm tired of being alone."