Chapter 9: Close Call

Amy's POV:

As everyone mingles and thanks each other for the gifts, I ask Sonic if I can talk to him for a minute.

Walking to the kitchen, I pull out the repaired picture frame and hold it out for him to take back. "I'm sorry Sonic....But I can't accept this."

.
.
.

Sonic's POV:

My ears droop as I look at the picture frame.

Sally seemed so sure that this was a good step in fixing my friendship with Amy, but she can't even look at the picture.

"I....Understand."

Taking the picture from her hand, she's about to walk away. "Uh wait, Ames...What can I do to fix it?"

Turning back around, she looks confused. "Fix what?"

"What I did."

Realization flashes across her face, and she looks down at the ground.

"Look....I appreciate the gesture Sonic. But I moved back to protect the village from Eggman, not fix broken friendships. I don't have an answer for you."

I feel my heart break a little as she responds.

"I never should have treated you the way I did Amy. You looked out for me and cared about me and I ruined all of it. I don't care if your only interest is helping the village, I'm not going to stop until you're my friend again."

She smiles, more to her self than at me. "Fair enough."

.
.
.

1 week later, Amy's POV:

Waking up in the middle of the night to Sonic busting into my house and yelling that Eggman is attacking the village, I frantically slip some shoes on and rush to the village.

Panicked, I watch as my friends desperately try to evacuate villagers from the burning houses while trying to fight off a hoard of robots at the same time.

There's too many.

Summoning a hammer in one hand, I summon another to come back like a boomerang. It knocks a row of robots down, but they immediately start getting back to their feet.

Shit.

Ducking out of the way as fire shoots through the sky, Blaze and Silver have come to help evacuate. Glancing from Blaze to the puddle of molten robot parts, Silver lifts one up with his telekinesis and crushes it into a tiny ball.

With one hammer in each hand, I bash in as many robot heads as I can while helping desperate villagers and their children escape to safety.

Hearing a little boy scream as a robot reaches to grab him, I throw my hammer into the back of it's head and frantically scoop him into my arms while looking for his mother.

I yell above the chaos for Rouge to fly the child to a safe area. As he's taken from my arms and flown to safety, my ears twitch.

Someone's screaming.

Looking around, I listen for the muffled desperate cries again and follow them to a burning house.

It's collapsing in on itself, and my team turns to look at me as I stare at the house.

I have to try.

Running towards the house, I hear Sonic and Blaze frantically yelling behind me.

"NO DON'T!!"

"AMY IT'S GOING TO COLLAPSE!!!"

But the screams of the little girl are louder.

Running into the flames, I feel smoke start to burn my throat and lungs. Trying to ignore the high temperatures of the house, I carefully climb over the burning rubble and make my way to the stairs.

Coughing and hacking as the smoke burns my eyes, I spot the infant raccoon crying in a baby crib. Carefully picking her up, I feel the house shake as a flaming beam crumbles from the ceiling. Ducking to the floor and holding the baby underneath me to protect her, it becomes hard to breath and see.

Looking through the smoke, my heart drops as I see the entrance to the stairs blocked by the burning beam. As my vision starts to blur, I try to summon my hammer to bust a hole in the wall.

Work dammit!! Please!

Struggling to breath as I cough and gasp for air, I don't have the strength to make the hammer appear.

Clinging onto the baby as she cries, the last thing I see is smoke filling the room before everything goes black.

.
.
.

Shadow's POV:

Looking around as everyone tries to fight off multiple robots at a time to run into the house after Amy, I send out a pulse of chaos energy to knock the one's around me down.

Sprinting into the house, the stairs are blocked by a pillar that fell. Blasting them out of the way, I cover my nose and mouth with my glove.

Squinting my eyes through the smoke, I see Amy laying under a pile of wood. Dropping my glove to use both hands, I quickly get to work throwing the heavy wood off.

"Amy! Can you hear me?!"

Tossing the last of the debris off, I start to cough as I roll her over. Once I do, I notice a small infant raccoon clinging to the fabric of her dress.

So that's why she came in here.

Picking her and the infant up in my arms, I quickly chaos control outside right before the house collapses.