Chapter 36: Missed Opportunties, Part I

Shadow's POV:

"You want... Me?"

"Yes."

"But, Why?"

Tucking a loose strand of pink hair behind her ear, I clench my jaw.

Out of all of the people that deserve love the most, not one person has ever shown her an ounce of it.

Enough so, that she's questioning why anyone would ever want her to begin with.

"Because you're perfect in every way possible. You showed me kindness when I didn't deserve it. You gave me a chance at being happy again when I was so bitter at how cruel this world has been to me that all I felt was hatred. You gave me friendship despite how deeply you were drowning in your own trauma, while at the same time helping me heal my own."

As her green gaze softens, I feel my heart begin to beat so loudly I wonder if she can hear it.

"You showed me love when I wasn't worthy of it. And no matter what you choose to feel, just know that I will forever be grateful to you for welcoming me into your life."

.
.
.

Amy's POV:

Even in this moment all I can think of is Maria's beautiful smile, and how desperately I wish I could see it one last time.

"But, Maria..."

"Would want you to be happy, Rose."

Softly sighing, I shut my eyes as hard as I can.

And when I do, I see everything that could go wrong. The what ifs, the unknowns. But at the same time, I see the possibility of happiness again. Even so, it doesn't overpower the doubts swirling in the back of my mind.

"I... I don't know what to say."

His gentle smile is warming to say the least, and a part of me feels guilty for wanting to give into him so easily.

I want to be happy, I truly do. But even while looking into his loving gaze my mind is drowning with so many fears that it feels suffocating.

"It's alright Rose, take as much time as you need. Even if it takes an eternity I'll still wait for you."

Feeling my heart nearly collapse at his chivalry, he elegantly dips me to the end of the song. As I turn to walk back to the table when Shadow, I'm swept from his side and dragged into the next song. Watching helplessly as he sits back down next to Cream and Tails, I look angrily up to see who had enough audacity to pull me from his side.

"What's wrong little dove, expecting someone else?"

Every hair on my body stands on end, the ache in my back suddenly more apparent from before.

"Well don't you look ravishing my dear, why the cold shoulder?"

My words become caught in my throat as I stare into his cold eyes, looking around in a panic at all of the civilians crowding the event hall.

I bite down on my tongue as a grin tugs at his lips.

He can feel me shaking.

The feeling of this monsters hand gripping my waist is enough to make me feel nauseated, while the memory of him shattering my spine is still painfully fresh.

Looking desperately to our table, Shadow has his back to the ball room.

"Oh he won't be of any help love, this whole thing was his idea anyways."

Snapping my attention back to him, his grovely laugh is deep and full.

Glancing once more at Shadow's black and red striped fur, I grit my teeth.