Chapter 2: It's Complicated

Amy's POV:

Squinting my eyes as the bright early morning sun rays filter into my room, I groggily glance at the alarm clock sitting on the night stand...Which is currently the only piece of furniture decorating the rather barren room.

8:30, I better get up before I fall back asleep.

Enjoying the tingly feeling spreading throughout my stiff joints as I stretch, my eyes glance around the room that I've put off decorating.

Sitting up, I can't help but sigh at the unfamiliar surroundings. That, and the fact that I have to part with my wonderfully warm blankets.

Urging myself from the cozy bed to the master bathroom, a shiver runs up my legs as I step onto the freezing bathroom tiles. However, I'm even more shocked at the sight of my own reflection in the mirror.

Sweet Mobius, I look terrible.

Tying my quills back to wash both my face and my teeth, I feel the grogginess from my rough nights sleep start to slip away. Allowing the cool water to help wake me up, I splash my face a few times before grabbing the tooth brush. My favorite part of every morning is getting to brush away the terrible taste in my mouth after waking up. Even if the intense minty-ness burns and makes my eyes water.

Hearing the faucet squeak shut as the last of the water dribbles out, I make my way to the beautiful granite kitchen downstairs. It was definitely an upgrade from the little cottage I previously owned in my younger years. Admiring the granite counter tops paired stunningly with the dark wooden cabinets, one of the things I love most is all of the windows making sure the house doesn't look dreary. But in all honesty my favorite thing, and honestly what sold me on this house in the first place...Was the jacuzzi hot tub in the master bathroom.

Very basic of me, I know. But there's nothing more relaxing than coming home after a stressful day to bubbles and jacuzzi jets.

Being pulled from my daydream of a relaxing bath, I'm surprised to hear a knock at the door along with the friendly voice that follows.

"Is anyone home? I heard someone moved in next door and I wanted to come say hi!"

That's....Nice of them, I guess.

Intrigued as I unlock the dead bolt, I'm shocked to see the purple cat standing in front of me.

"Blaze?"

I can't help but laugh as she tightly embraces me, and I gladly return the hug.

"Amy!? I can't believe it!"

Smiling as my old friend pulls away, I'm relieved to see the same expression reflected back at me.

"What are you doing here? I never thought you would come back!"

Awkwardly looking away, I don't exactly know how to respond.

"I uh...I don't really know why I'm back either."

Watching her ears fold down in confusion, I feel a pang of guilt.

"But I'm here now, and I really missed you."

Despite being from a different dimension, I quickly grew close to Blaze when she moved to Mobius. She's rather soft spoken but has never been afraid to tell you what you need to hear. And the truth is, I feel guiltier than I care to admit about up and leaving her behind with nothing but a note. I knew she would understand, because Blaze was the only person I confided in when I felt I had no where else to go. She was a good friend, and she inspired the realization that I needed some time away from everything to properly heal.

"I was on my way to meet Silver at a new diner that just opened. Do you want to come?"

The last thing I want is an unwelcome blast from the past...

Noticing my hesitation, she adds "I'll update you on what's been happening in the Sol Dimension."

She's making an effort to include me. After abandoning her for so many years the least I can do is go to breakfast with her.

"Okay fine, I'm sold."

"You're um...Outfit is very wonderful."

Looking down at my pajamas, we both bust into laughter.
~
After changing into light washed high waisted skinny jeans and a cropped dark pink hoodie, I listen to all of Blaze's updates on things since I've been gone. The Meh Burger somehow got certified to open a diner, which was concerning in and of itself. Eggman's attacks have become more destructive, leaving villagers hospitalized and the team spread miserably thin. And on a note that I never would have expected, Shadow had teamed up with them to try and help defeat Eggman. Blaze explained that he was moody and reclusive, and never agreed with anything Sonic had to say. But despite butting heads with everybody, he was a powerful addition to their team.

"We're here."

Looking at the surprisingly cute exterior of the diner, I have to admit it's a lot nicer than I thought it would be....For something from the Meh Burger chain, that is.

Walking inside, Silver waves from where he's sitting.

As I walk up with Blaze, he stares in astonishment.

"Amy! You're back?!"

Smiling to the light grey hedgehog, I nod as Blaze and I sit down.

Blaze looks at Silver apologetically. "I'm sorry, you weren't waiting long, were you?"

He smiles awkwardly, rubbing the back of his neck. "Oh no, uh, I just got here."

I skeptically glance between my two friends and grin. "You two still aren't together?"

I can't help but laugh as they both grow a lovely shade of red, looking at each other in embarrassment.

Silver stands up, stuttering over his words.
"W-wow are you hungry? I'm hungry lets go get frinks-- I-I mean drinks, and um, food!"

"Yes, um...food would be great. I'll come with you."

I snicker as Blaze stands up, shooting me an adorably angry glare before following after him.

Maybe coming back here wasn't such a bad idea after all. It feels so nice to be around my friends again, and to laugh. I know I moved here to help with the growing number of robot attacks, but I really did miss everyone.

Well...Not everyone.

.
.
.

Sonic's POV:

All I can do is stare at the pink hedgehog sitting across the room. I blink, making sure she won't disappear if I look away. It's really her...I haven't seen her since the day she up and left town. Although I would be lying if I said I didn't know why. She caught me with her best friend, Sally Acorn. I knew Amy would get over it, like every other time she's been mad at me. She would be back to normal and pining after me the next day. But despite knowing that I still felt bad for the way she had found out, and went to her home to apologize. After no response was given to my multiple knocks, I got worried and forced the door open. The house was empty, and the only thing left was a shattered picture frame of them laying on the ground. I kept the picture, and even tried to glue all of the tiny pieces back together. But no matter how much glue I used I could never cover up the cracks from trying to put it back together. All I could do was wake up every morning and look at that shattered picture on my night stand, knowing that beaming smile that would always brighten up my day was gone. I had taken my friend for granted and now she was never coming back.....yet there she was, sitting across the room.