Chapter 19 - Violeta.

I wake up to a loud bang. 

Is it him? Could he of returned? I hurriedly sit up in the bed. Leomaris has been gone for 23 days now. He's near by, he's still bringing me food when I run low, but he will not come near me. He leaves the food for me only at night while I am asleep, he leaves me bright sea shells on my outdoor reading table, but it is not night. It is the evening, and my mid-day nap has been ruined.

I sit still, silent for a long moment. I hear.. voices? Voices? Who could possibly be here?

I slide out of bed and tip toe to the open window, peeking around the corner. Why would people be here? Leo said seeing ships is rare, let alone stopping at this island in particular! I don't see anyone, or hear anyone anymore for that matter.

What do I even do? I know I heard something, that's for sure, but bloody hell I'm alone in the middle of the Mediterranean! What am I supposed to do?! I don't know where Leo is, so I can't rely on him. Do I just shack up here and hope they go away? Am I supposed to come running at them with the one dull knife I have, which is used to cut up my fruit? Seriously, what the hell?

Now, I'm not sure what part of my brain took over, probably the dumbest part, but I walk towards the front door, curiosity getting the better of me.

I slip through the door and head towards the spring, uphill to get a better look at the coast, but from a safe distance.

First, I see a ship, anchored further away, crowned with the British flag. Then, the smaller row boat pulled into the sand. There's a man laying in the boat, his hands behind his head and his legs reclined. 

I know I heard multiple voices, so where are the rest of them? And why are they even here? Surely, they can't be here for me. Right? My parents mustn't care that much to send people searching for me, especially not this far away.

I'm snapped out of my thoughts by the sound of approaching voices and footsteps. Instinct takes over as I duck into the tall grass and dense foliage. Obviously, my instinct sucks, because I snap what must be the largest twig in existence in the process.

I hold my breath and ignore the stinging pain of pebbles digging into my palms.

"I see her! Over there!"

I make a mad dash in the opposite direction. Rocks and sharp branches dig into my bare feet, tearing my skin, but I ignore it. I keep running, down hill until I reach the ocean, but I don't get far. The men are wearing boots, their legs larger than mine, and they catch up to me quickly. My arms are grabbed, and my knees kicked in, causing me to fall down into the sand.

"I got her!" One of them shouts, and I scream out profanities of my dismay. When that doesn't work, I rely on my last option.

"Leomaris!!" I shout. Over and over I yell his name. "Leo!! Help! Help me! Get off of me you incorrigible twat!" I writhe in the man's hold, kicking and trying everything I can do to remove his grip. "You annoying prick what the hell do you think you're doing!" I shout as rope is wrapped around my wrists. He binds my ankles next.

I'm left sitting in the sand, the tiny particles scraping against my knees. I look up at the men, "You're incredibly unpleasant to look at." I mumble and look back to the ocean. With another glance to the men, I continue shouting. "Leomaris!!" I yell, pushing up to make my grand escape, but that doesn't end too well for me. Instantly, I'm tugged back down by my wrists, and dragged through the sand.

I'm about to start my shouting once more, but my limbs lock up at the sight of him. My heels dig into the sand, the man dragging me turning around to protest, spouts some bullshit about me being annoying. 

I don't even see Leomaris move before he's beside me. He's.. oh my God. He's fucking huge. Not like, in the rude way.. he's huge. He's taller, somehow. More muscular, towering over the men and certainly towering over me. I don't get a chance to blink before both the men are on the ground, and the look in Leo's eyes; he's seething with rage.

I feel my stomach twist with butterflies.

"Close your eyes, Violet."

I listen. I squeeze my eyes shut. Suddenly, I don't hear the yelling protests of the two men. I feel my wrists be released. I keep my eyes closed, because I know what I will open my eyes to. He killed those two men, and I don't feel any sort of sympathy for them. Instead, the psychologically twisted side of me wants to jump Leomaris and shower him with hugs and kisses as a thank you for killing people to save me.

I feel his grasp, and I throw myself into his touch. He easily lifts me, and he hurries away from the carnage. I open my eyes once we're far enough, and once he sets me down, I grab him and pull him back, pressing my lips to his.