Chapter 17 - Violeta.

I think I've been in a coma. When I open my eyes, it's dark outside, but the rising sun tells me I've slept a whole day away. Leomaris is nowhere in sight, and I don't bother searching for him. His words from earlier are still ringing in my head, "you want me".

I swallow and stand, my head is spinning, my legs a bit weaker than usual. I need to eat. 

The only food I find in the small kitchen is an apple. It will have to do for now, I suppose. Perhaps I should find Leo, maybe we should actually discuss what happens next between the two of us. 

It doesn't take long to find him. Leo is resting along the pool edge, blue water reflecting onto his skin; his eyes are shut, but they slowly open as I near him. He only stares as he looks up at me.

"What is it, my Violet?" He pauses for a moment, "You look rather upset, darling."

"I am not." I sigh and sit on the cold rock floor in front of him. 

"Then what is it, darling?" His eyes fall from my face to my exposed legs.

"It's nothing.. just.. what did you mean yesterday?" I ask. For a moment, I think maybe I may need to elaborate. A lot did happen yesterday, but then I see his sly smirk, and I don't need to elaborate.

"Dearest, do you crave me in the way crave you?" His eyes flick back up to mine.

"What?" I speak breathlessly.

"I want everything you are willing to give me, Violet. Every word out of your mouth, every glance, every touch you will give to me; it is maddening. I cannot think of anything else. I cannot think of anything but you."

I gulp. My throat is dry, probably from the lack of drinking water. Leomaris is staring at me, dissecting my expression. 

"Do you understand that, my Violet? Can you reciprocate my madness?" He pushes up, out of the water, tilting his head back, aligning his lips with mine.

God.

"Can you?" He whispers, his words fanning across my skin. 

"Can I?" My words leave my lips without another thought. My eyes are fluttering shut. I don't understand it. Am I asking permission or something? From a man at that? 

His head tilts, and then he kisses me. The kiss is soft, gentle, patient.

But that gentleness didn't last long. Leomaris pushes further against me, his arms dragging around my waist, tugging me to him as he parts my lips with his tongue and deepens our kiss. 

I'm pulled into the water, strong muscles holding my weight. His hands wander, brushing and squeezing over my skin. I pull away first, breathing heavily. I drop my head to his shoulder, too embarrassed to look at him for the moment.

"My dear, I need to tell you something."

I hum, brain still foggy from our kiss. Well, more than just a kiss, really.

"I must leave soon, darling."

"What?" I pull away to look into his eyes.

"It is almost mating season. My kind will gather between the Baltic and Tyrrhenian Sea to kill a scyrcun."

"A what?"

"I will not be back for some time. It could be.. dangerous, for me to be near you during the mating season. I do not wish to harm you, my Violet."

"Wait, wait! You're leaving me here?"

"No, darling. I will still provide for you. I will still be near to watch over you, but your.. scent.. will be.. vexatious."

I swallow. "What's a.. um.. whatever that creature you have to fight, what is that?"

"A scyrcun. It is unknown to humans, I believe. It lives in the deep waters."

"Well, what does it look like?"

"I do not believe I should tell you, darling. It is a creature of the deep. I believe just the knowledge will give you nightmares."

Leomaris's hands slowly slide off of my body, "Forgive me. I have not gathered food for you. I will return shortly."

I don't get another word in, as I watch him dive under the water and swim through a small tunnel at the opposite end of the pool, back towards the sea.