Chapter 14 - Violeta.

I wake up to a loud bang. My eyes fly open, but I don't move.

And then I hear it again. It's rhythmic, and I realize, after a long, long moment; someone's knocking. It's not at my door, though. It's glass. Someone is knocking on my window.

Yeah, like that's not creepy.

Slowly, I turn over and face where the knocking is coming from. It's late into the night by now, perhaps into the early hours. I can feel how swollen my eyes are from my crying. My whole face is warm, and my cheeks are sticky from tears. Looking over my shoulder, my eyes finally land on the cause of the sound.

And I'd be lying if I said I didn't nearly shit myself.

I swallow a scream. Leomaris is standing on my balcony, wearing only a pair of pants, but that isn't what nearly gives me a heart attack, although it does have some influence.. It's the look on his face. His eyes, the tense muscle of his jaw, the way his shoulders are rolled straight and his back, even straighter.

Jeez. I guess someone's in a mood.

With a huff, I stand and hurry to the balcony, hopefully before anyone sees him. Luckily, that seems a bit unlikely at this hour.

"What the hell are you doing?!" I whisper.

He takes a step forward, entering my bedroom, and, if even possible, he grows tenser when he sees my face. Leo quickly shuts the door behind him and draws the curtains instantly.

"What-" He cuts me off, cups my face, stares at me.

"What has happened?" Are his only words.

I can only swallow. It then weighs down on me once more, the fact that I am leaving. That I am returning to England. I'm sure my father will try to wed me off as soon as we arrive. They'll make it seem as though the king himself has decreed it. Perhaps God, even; that my wedding was a match made by the angels. I'd rather walk into the ocean with rocks in my pockets.

Leomaris would never allow that. Leomaris.. likes me I suppose? Perhaps that's the word. Like

"Violet." He speaks suddenly, his voice strong. I cannot look into his eyes. "The humans were preparing the ship. Are your parents leaving?"

I nod. His hands fall to my hips. "Are you leaving?"

I nod again, and this time, tears fall with my motion. I try my hardest to keep them contained, I truly do, but they come in waves. Devastating waves. Leo lets out a slow breath. It sounds almost painful. His hands lift up and push my hair behind my ears.

We're silent for a few moments, standing mere inches away from each other.

"When?"

"Tomorrow." I barely hear myself speak, but he tenses again. 

"Tomorrow." He repeats. It's not a question, he's repeating it more to himself, but I nod anyways. "You don't seem happy about it. Will you go?"

"Of course I'm not happy about it." My tone is sharp, and I pause for a moment. "I have to go. I don't have a choice."

"What if you don't?"

"What do you mean?"

"Leave with me."

"Excuse me?" I take a step away from him. 

"Run away." He turns, sitting on the edge of my bed.

I put my hands on my hips and tilt my head. "Are you seriously asking me to run away with you?"

"Yes."

His request is ignorant. Stupid, ridiculous.. and yet, I think about it. It's fleeting, thinking of running away with him. Do I truly not want to go back to England that badly? 

"Let's say I agreed. Don't you live here, like underwater or something?"

He turns amused. "No."

That's all he gives me, and I raise my brows, prompting for more. He only stares at me.

"So? Then where do you live?" I push.

"Far away."

"Uh huh." I sigh. "I'm not going anywhere if you don't tell me about your living arrangements."

He leans back on my bed, propping himself up on his elbows. Sweet Jesus.

"South East of here, on an island. It's quite far."

"Okay, do you have a bed? Bathing? Food?"

He's amused again. "Of course."

"And how am I supposed to get there? I can't exactly swim like you or breathe water, hell, I can't even go underwater."

"That's what I'm here for." He stares at me as I start to pace. "So will you come with me?"

"Tell me more about the island you live on. What does it look like? Do you live in a cave or something? Oh God, do you have a bathroom?"

He stares at me for a moment longer, then speaks, "Yes, darling, it has everything you will need. It is a house, built on top of the island, not a cave."

"How long will it take to get there?"

He thinks for a moment. "Well, having to care for you, probably a 2 day swim."

Two full days?! Swimming?! Two days in the ocean?! My skin will be so dry! I sit on my bed next to him. "What about sleeping? Eating? Drinking water?"

He looks bored now. "I have it covered, my Violet. Your needs will be taken care of."

I swallow and look away for a moment. I seriously debate my options. For all I know, to him, a bed may be a bunch of dried seaweed thrown onto the floor. Perhaps a bath for him is just a swim in the ocean. What if he only eats fish? What if the only food he offers me is fish?! Oh God, I'm gonna puke.

I realize he's staring at me again, watching the thoughts come through my mind and appear on my face. A few more minutes pass, and I sigh. "Okay, I'll come with you."

He remains quiet.

I only sigh once more, then stand. I need to write a letter for Annie. She will be the most worried about my disappearance. More so than my own parents. I quickly write up a letter for her, letting her know I am safe and to not worry about me. And, because she's Annie, I tell her I'm with the man I mentioned earlier. Hopefully, knowing I'm not alone will be enough to calm her.

"You can bring some clothes with you, I have a bin for washing them."

I don't need to think twice about that. I grab a case, and start putting in some necessary clothing. Primarily under garments, thin dresses; nothing he hasn't already seen me in. 

Or out of, for that matter.

I put the letter between my remaining night dresses, knowing Annie will be the only one to look through my things.

Leo takes my case, pushing open the curtain where the sun has started to rise. I pull on my shoes, and then he leads me to the balcony, shutting the door behind us as we start the decent to the beach.