Chapter 8 - Violeta.

The next day comes sooner than I'd like. The maids have been running around all day preparing for my family's arrival. They've prepared one of my more formal dresses, it's not too much, but it's definitely not casual. 

I've been staring out the window all morning. Their ship is in the far distance, the same one that brought me here and left the very next day. I cannot shed the dread of them arriving. 

"Perhaps if your father notices your change in propriety he'll let you return home, miss!"

"Yes! We must impress your father! Then you may return to society and be wed!" My maids speak. They're right. Except, I do not wish to return home. I like the lack of people here, the lack of men, specifically. Women are always objects for men. 

Not to him, he is different.

I do not want to return to society. I do not want to wed and bare children. My mind is made up before I even have time to consider my options. I will show just how little I've changed. I will be unruly upon their arrival. I will do everything in my power to remain here in Greece. 

I want to spend more time with Leomaris, I want to know him better.

Over my shoulder, I see the small wood bin filled with embroidery and cross stitch supplies. I've never touched them. I do not like embroidery, I am not good at it, but for some reason, I want to make something. Something to give to him. Would he even want it? Why should I bare him with a gift? What would a sea creature even do with an embroidered handkerchief? Oh whatever!

I sit my delusional happy ass down on the plush chair and ready my supplies. I clamp the fabric pulled taught, drawing out a very rough sketch, I thread my first needle and start. I'm only half way done when Annie knocks on the door. "Your parents have arrived, miss!" I feel my heart drop to my stomach. I suddenly want to throw up. I am dreading this interaction. Standing, I put my embroidery to the side and brush off my dress, straightening my jewelry.

I follow behind Annie all the way down the stairs as she leads me to the drawing room, where my family is sitting. 

"Oh! There she is! My darling dearest!" My mother exclaims, pulling me into a rough hug. "Goodness, look at you, dearest! You've grown so much!"

"Hello mother." I force out, "Father, Emelia." I make my introduction.

Emelia hasn't aged a day, she looks just the same as she did when I left. Still gorgeous. She's holding her new baby boy, Elliot, and behind her stands what I assume is her husband. 

My father barely lifts an eye to me, and to my surprise, Emilia's husband walks up to me. He bows and grabs my hand, pressing his lips to my knuckles. "It's wonderful to finally meet you, miss Violeta." I'm shocked. I didn't think any man was capable of noticing me while Emilia is in the room. "I am Thomas, Emelia's husband."

We have a small conversation, before my mother cuts in, "Did the maids not prepare a party in our honor?" Her head turns to look at Annie. 

She makes a small noise of nervousness before speaking, "Yes madam, down at the beach. We have prepared food and seating arrangements." She bows her head.

At the beach? No. No. Leomaris will be watching. He will see my sister. My heart drops all over again. What if he falls for her over me? Wait, what am I thinking?! Fall for me?! What?! I don't want him to fall for me! He's just.. said sweet nothings.. is all. His words have fogged my brain, that is all. 

That is all.

We all head to the beach, my father in lead. "How long will you all be staying, mother?" I ask her.