Chapter 23

WALID looked at her one last time, before opening the doors, and ushering her in.

Serina entered the dark room, with the chador veiling her completely. The room was pitch black, with red fairy lights adorned across the hall. She couldn't see anyone, but slowly as her eyes adjusted to the darkness, she noticed groups of men, sitting on cushions and seating areas, with certain curiosity embracing their features. Serina felt herself standing on a stage. It was designed as if for a cat walk, with a rectangular edge to it. Men sat on either sides with absolute pin drop silence.

Suddenly the sound of a flute erupted and Serina's nerves sky rocketed. She forgot everything she had to do, but she thought, if she ran away, she'd have to face the consequences. The men that looked at her had an animalistic kind of lust hovering in their eyes, and Serina felt as if she never feared the male species more, before in her life. The sound of the flute continued as Serina stood their statued, shaking from trepidation. Suddenly certain lights shone on her, and she felt this was her cue to begin.

Serina only partially remembered what she had to do, but still took a few steps further. The chador still veiled her, but now she was apparent to all prying eyes in the room. Her form was centre of attention due to the stage lights pronouncing her body. Her face was also covered partially and Serina wished it to remain that way. The few steps she took forward brought forth a certain promise of something more and the lustfull eyes became more eager. Suddenly the flute was joined with a harmonium and more such instruments Serina couldn't even pinpoint, but all of them together felt as if the music had begun. It sounded so sinful to her, and was sure to have weakened the will power of many men there, that day. Serina was a second too late, but still she draped off the chador, exposing her body the eyes of many men.

She felt naked, humiliated, insulted, degraded and more. Serina felt as if somebody had snatched the only thing she held close to her— and that was her modesty. She felt they snatched away the only thing she felt as if was in her possession, was hers to choose , was hers to comment on, to protect, to keep safe, to own. And this treacherous world had snatched that one thing away from her as well.

Tears slowly welled up in her eyes, but she forced herself to keep them at bay, as the beat of the music intensified. Serina felt this world betrayed her, absolutely shattered her self esteem, ego, will power and courage. They crushed her soul and left her with nothing but empty lies on a platter. The music had gotten slower now, with an Arabian back beat to it. Serina stood there motionless, not performing, not entertaining, but all eyes in the room were entrapped by her beauty. No hand lifted from its position, no eyes shifted from the focus. Everyone present was flabbergasted by the beauty she held.

Serina felt a sudden surge of confidence burst in her. If this was to be her fate, then so be it. If her life had come to such a trenched point, then so be it, she needed to be strong, and verily God was by her side. Serina looked beyond the sinful men sitting lower than her, as her eyes looked at the ceiling. A silent prayer escaped her lips, before she placed one of her feet a foot further. A step.

Roars erupted from all over the room, as Serina then gestured her hands in an agonisingly slow ordeal, as if she couldn't care two tosses of where she was, and what she was doing. Serina felt as if the tension in her body was lose, and a sense of calm overtook her sense. Her strength, will power had weakened and the sinful side had emerged. Where she didn't care, she didn't care if her body was exposed to the eyes of the men, all she cared for was her well being and mental health.

Serina had become weak. Utterly weak, but to the naked eye, she seemed utterly dominant and powerful. Her steps one after the other possessed a certain kind of entrapment where it was all about her and only her. She had won in the war of her heart, but lost in the eyes of God. But then she thought, if not this then what? Then what should she have done? Surely God is all forgiving.