Chapter 2

SHE felt suffocated in the stuffy car with her face wrapped in a scarf. The thin piece had gotten damp from the vapour of her breath, but she didn't dare take it off for her tayi's words continuously circulated in her mind...
She were not to take it off under any circumstance as it would cause fouling. Serina was confused at first. What fouling was her not wearing her face covering going to cause anyone? This alongside many questions rounded again and again in her mind but she dare not ponder over one question for more than a few moments.

"Serina", a low voice spoke from beside her. Her lowered gaze instantly lifted to the voice. "Hmm?" She asked, her reply nearly inaudible through the cloth. "Take it off", was the only thing the girl responded back with. Serina's brows furrowed. "What?"

"The niqaab", she said.

"I can't!",

"Do it"

"No"

"You can't come with us then!",

"What?!", at this she raised her furrowed brows.

"It's embarrassing! Clearly mama doesn't know what's embarrassing and what's not. Shakal hi hai, chupana kya hai is main?", the voice slightly raised suggestively.

"Tayi ne mujhe kuch naheen kaha! Maine khud pehna hai ye niqaab aur utarna naheen chahti !", Her tender voice argued back.

The female beside understood it was a lost cause and left the matter to be. She decided to let her do whatever she wanted. After all free will is something which should be common and she was an advocate for it!

"Your wish" and the topic ended.

Her thoughts had been occupied by the persuasion her cousin was offering, but her eyes skimmed across the car window. The weather was cloudy, and gloom was devouring the city in a whole. The citizens were still going about their daily lives regardless of rain warning it's arrival. The roads were busy with bikers, drivers and people on cycles. It was busier than usual and that was evident. After all it was two nights before eid - ul - Azha. Celebrations were on its peak, and Muslims were rushing to buy all their necessities and celebratory garments. The city of Peshawar was indeed engulfed in a hurricane.

"How far is the market?", after a few minutes her agitated form spoke out. The roads were also partially blocked due to the intense traffic but other than that, the market did seem far away. "A few more minutes", kamran bhai informed. The rest of the journey was spent in silence.

True in his words, Kamran bhai parked the car on an abandoned street and got off, regardless of her confusion she also got out of the car alongside her two cousins. They all were covering their heads, but none their faces. She noticed how she was the only one from them who was doing so and an uncomfortable feeling sat in her stomach. None the less the group started walking towards the end of the road, and entered the busy Peshawar junction.  the market entrance was now visible, which was lined with multiple stalls, all displaying shimmery and glamorous jewellery and other adornments. Some had henna drawers for fixed prices while others were selling popular Peshawari street food. Her mouth watered seeing the yummy snacks and in that moment she wished to grab some and eat without second thoughts.

"Kamran bhai, after we shop we have to buy something to eat!", the pixie haired one exclaimed and Serina smiled behind her covering. They were indeed similar.

"Warda pehle shopping karlen?", her other cousin spoke which caused a frown on the little girl's face. "Ay warda jo chahe khareed ke khaa lena", Kamran bhai lovingly told his little sister which in return caused a large grin to replace the frown. The pace at which the little girl was changing her expressions made Serina want to laugh but she held it in.