Chapter 17

SHE woke the next day feeling light headed. The sun was seeping in through the windows in harsh rays, as the curtains were flying about. The window was open allowing the cold autumn breeze to enter her room, causing involuntary chills to run through her body. Without a second thought she got up and closed the windows, and turned the heating up.

Getting back into bed, she analysed her new bedroom which had been given to her the previous day once they had returned from their outing. She had refused at first but the temptation of the bigger room got to her and she finally submitted. This room was much vast in size than her previous one, with much more decent furniture. She didn't mind the last one, but who could deny such luxury?

Absolutely not her.

A knock sounded on her bedroom door, and she quickly got up and fixed her self before opening it. "Uth gai meri bachi?", Nasrin asked her entering like she owned the place. Well she kind of did. "Jee! Kal se Thori thakan hai!", her voice was hoarse from just waking up and her state was disheveled to say the least. "Chalo jaldi tayyar ho jao! Aaj shehryar aaraha hai, to ghar main uske aane ki tayariyan ho rahi hain!", she gingerly informed her tucking a stray strand behind serina's ear. "Acha! Shehryar bhai aarahe hain! Ye to bohut achi baat hai. Maine suna tha unki biwi bhi hain. Woh bhi aarahi hain Kya?", Serina couldn't exactly remember her name but she did know from Haleh that he had gotten married just a few years back. "Nahin. Woh Nahin aarahi. Sirf Shahryar.", Nasrin looked despondent at the thought and Serina was curious as to why she wasn't coming and why this fact made Nasrin Phupo so sad. "Busy hongi woh!", Serina tried to make excuses just to make Nasrin Phupo feel calm of the Situation. "Busy? She's a housewife", Nasrin said with distaste in her mouth and Serina stared gobsmacked. Apparently house wives weren't appreciated in this household.

"Khair. Tum tayar hojao. Woh aata hi hoga." Nasrin patted her back lightly and left without another word seeming already deep in thought. Serina didn't understand why and truthfully this just seemed like an episode of family politics and she had no interest in it. She had had enough of that already.

Making her way to the bathroom she quickly freshened up and picked a decent pair from her clothing collection. Her and Faris didn't end up going shopping but she was given her clothing, Which Faris had collected from her room back in the Daudzai haveli. The initial thought was that he must have seen everything else as well, including all her personal belongings which embarrassed her to the core . Still thinking about it had gotten her red.

Instead of tying her hair in her usual plait she decided to brush it lightly and leave it open, letting her tresses breathe in the open, framing her face. The new look satisfied her as she quickly grabbed her duppata and made her way to the breakfast table.

Everybody as usual was sitting there getting ready to have their first nourishment of the day, when she quietly sat on her usual spot next to Nasrin. "Salam un ailkum" announcing her presence she noticed Faris was sitting next to his mother, right to his father. This was the first time they were having breakfast together. This was probably the first time he was having breakfast with his family in general she thought. "Walaikum", everybody responded as a norm yet today her eyes were cast on the man who sat silently conversing with his father in a hushed tone not wanting the women of the house to hear. He looked entrancing with his usual business attire yet his coat was discarded and his sleeves rolled up to his elbows. She undeniably felt attracted to him and in that moment she admitted it to herself.

Looking away she noticed Haleh had caught her staring at her brother but also looked away as if having seen nothing but both of them knew that Serina was gazing intently at Faris but neither were brave enough to call it out. They had their break fast with occasional chatter when suddenly the entrance of someone could be heard and few maids scurried in. Followed up a tall man, with the most daunting presence ever. His eyes jet black, the same colour as his hair and clothing.