Chapter Nine: Revelation

"Thank you, Thomasina!" Edgar called as he appeared from the house. Lelara and I exchanged a glance.  

"It looks like you're leaving," she murmured. 

"Guess so." Before I knew it the other girl wrapped her arms around me in a hug. She let go so swiftly I didn't have the time to hug her back. 

"We'll be sure to stop to say goodbye before we head out for home!" As Edgar's words left his mouth we phased back into our respective groups. Edgar and Edelia inched over to me, and Lelara over to her family. Before we tuned away I threw them a slow upward nod. Goodbye

"It's getting late," Edgar said as we began walking, "and we should probably be getting back to the inn before dark." 

"Sounds like a plan," I replied. We made our way back pas all of the shops, the smaller ones now closing, and towards the inn. Rather was waiting just inside the door, Serina beside him, when we got there.  

"Josephine says to all meet in the conference room before we call it a night!" he called. "We're only waiting on Deverell now that you three are here." 

"See you there, I replied, and we headed towards the room We entered to a surprised look on Josephine's face. 

"Shoes? You're wearing shoes, Regina." 

I had nearly forgotten about the strange contraptions that bound my feet. Kicking one of them off I showed her my badly scratched foot. "Forest's got nothing on these streets," I told her. 

"Yes," Josephine sighed, "many differences scream between Lavetin and home." 

"Lots and lots of things," Edelia chimed. "Like, Josephine, why do they look at us funny; the people of this town?" 

"Because we are women," Josephine's answer was quiet and simple, as usual. 

"Ha ha, good one." The young sound to the laugher matched the ignorance. I tried to imagine what the day must have been like for her. I'd totally overlooked her point of view.  

Her face, outlined by her wreath of blond curls, drooped. "You're not serious?" she asked, looking around to all of our adverted gazes, "You can't be." Despite her words, she'd made the connection before any of us spoke. 

"It's true," I said, turning to the kid, "It's not fair, but true." It hurt to shatter my friend's reality. 

"But we're here on work," Edelia protested, "at least some of them know we're here on tracking business, and they do it too. Like the guard last night." I hadn't realized she'd been awake for that fiasco. 

"Which only makes it worse," Josephine's voice came quiet but icy. 

"They don't want women to be tracking?" Edelia's rosy cheeks flushed with confusion. "What, they don't think we can do it?"  

"They don't think women should work at all." The side of ice that come from Josephine wasn't pleasant.  

"Th-that's horrible," Edelia muttered. So many questions formed in her head as a part of her world shattered. Like thousands of shards formed form broken glass. 

Josephine evaporated form the room, her long green gown flowing after her. I followed her out into the hallway, and then outside the building. 

"You could have gone a little easier on her. She's only a kid, you know." My voice was hard, as was a lump in my throat. 

"She had to find it out. Life has to go on." Half of the ice melted from Josephine's voice.  

"She's only ten."